• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you prefer more or fewer public holidays?

I would prefer

• fewer holidays

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • more holidays

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Protestant holidays

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Catholic hoildays

• Jewish holidays

• Islamic holidays

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Hindu holidays

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Buddhist holidays

• other religious holidays

• non-religious holidays

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

And if more - what sort of holidays?

In the case of fewer holidays: which holidays would you like to see abolished?

For example - these are the public holidays in Germany:

Public holidays in Germany are determined by each federal state such that, for instance, Repentance Day is only a holiday in Saxony and Assumption Day is only celebrated in the states of Bavaria and Saarland. The exception to this rule is the Day of German Unity, which is a federally mandated public holiday marked on October 3 each year.

Of course, many public holidays are celebrated in every state, making them de facto national holidays as well. Each public holiday in Germany is marked with special events related to the religious or cultural event they commemorate.

Or are you content with the few holidays that exist in the US?

As the United States of America continues its dizzying change, some holidays will be dropped and some new ones will be added.

Any holidays honoring the Founding Fathers will be dropped (for obvious reasons).

New holidays will include those for people nominated by the Democratic Party, the ACLU, BLM, and the New York Times.

In the case of fewer holidays: which holidays would you like to see abolished?

President's Day, Columbus Day, Mother's Day, and Father's Day.

I also want to see Veteran's Day be an off day for everyone, just like Memorial Day is. Why are the people it celebrates going to work?

Or are you content with the few holidays that exist in the US?

Yes (but that was not a poll option). As in Germany, there federal, state and local (government declared) holidays in the US.

Instead of more holidays I'd rather see paid maternal/paternal leave and a decent amount of mandatory paid vacation time for full-time employees.

Now:

4 voters

And:

2 x Protestant holidays​

2 x Catholic holidays

2 x Jewish holidays​

And what kind of holidays would they be?
Well, I guess one of them would be in remembrance of that fellow that died in Minneapolis and for whom there were marches in 2020, with even the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, kneeling in the Capitol.

Fewer, much fewer. With all the pedo Xoe tax increases, inflation and costs exploding everywhere, we need to roll up our shirt sleeves and get to work not take days off. china Xoe still have two years to slap yo up side the head with tax increases

I don't care as I am three months from full retirement, where every day will be a holiday.

More! I feel like America doesn't have enough. We only have 11 federal holidays, and only 6-7 are universally recognized. I feel like most other countries get a lot more holidays than we do.

No more religious days IMO. I'd like more secular holidays focusing on national unity or celebrating some achievement. A few suggestions:

- Election Day
- Immigrants Day
- Civil Rights Day
- Women's Equality Day
- Science and Technology Day

What many companies are now doing are floating holidays which makes sense.
If you are a non Christian then a day off for Christmas means nothing.
You get so many floating holidays each year to use at your discretion.

As many as possible, the more diverse the better so I can watch white conservatives lose their collective minds.

Seriously, it’s a riot to watch them.

I'd like one more major holiday between New Years and Memorial Day. Something that has to do with Spring.

Back
Top Bottom