• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you pay $5,789 a year so that everyone has health care?

Would you pay $5,789 per year, about $500 a month, so that every American has health care?

• Yes, I want every American to have access to health care

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No, I pay about $50 a month now and that's too much

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, specify below

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

The average Canadian pays about $5,789 a year for health care. Only Canadian poor don't pay anything for free health care. The rich pay much, much more than $5,789 per year.

Would you be willing to pay $5,789 per year, about $500 a month so that every man, woman, and child has health care in America? A Canadian like system?

From the above link:
That per capita rate would put Canada near the high end of what other advanced economies pay. According to the CIHI, in 2014, the last year for which comparable data was available, Canada spent $5,543 per resident, more than the United Kingdom ($4,986) and Australia ($5,187) but less than Sweden ($6,245) and far less than the United States ($11,126).
Something else to consider:
The U.S. spends more on health care as a share of the economy — nearly twice as much as the average OECD country
The U.S. has the highest chronic disease burden and an obesity rate that is two times higher than the OECD average.
Americans had fewer physician visits than peers in most countries
Compared to peer nations, the U.S. has among the highest number of hospitalizations from preventable causes and the highest rate of avoidable deaths
Also from above link:
The U.S. Has the Lowest Life Expectancy
Suicide Rates Are the Highest in the U.S.
U.S. Adults Have the Highest Chronic Disease Burden
HOWEVER, to be fair, within the link I supplied there are some positives where the U.S. is more successful than other countries, but when you balance the enormous cost vs the reduced benefits of YOUR health care system vs ours, I will take the Canadian system.

*****That article is misleading in my opinion. The calculation is based on how much Canada as a whole spends on healthcare. With or without universal healthcare every government must spend a certain amount on healthcare. You would have to know what the price per capita would be without universal care to understand the right number*****

Nonetheless, let's assume that is the right number. Yes, I am more than willing to pay what I pay directly through my healthcare premiums and indirectly through my taxes in order that every Canadian can enjoy the benefits of accessible, quality healthcare

Edited....****actually when I re-read and digest I get the point. Ignore the ****. I didn't want to simply edit it out.

Last edited:
That article is misleading in my opinion. The calculation is based on how much Canada as a whole spends on healthcare. With or without universal healthcare every government must spend a certain amount on healthcare. You would have to know what the price per capita would be without universal care to understand the right number. Nonetheless, let's assume that is the right number. Yes, I am more than willing to pay what I pay directly through my healthcare premiums and indirectly through my taxes in order that every Canadian can enjoy the benefits of accessible, quality healthcare.
As shown in MY rebuttal, on a per capita basis, Americans pay more for health care, as any logical mind can figure out, when you pay an insurance company for your health care (they are in the business of making a profit) then you are going to pay more than if your health care is shared by the entire population.
Now some will argue, their personal insurance is less than what Canadians pay, but what kind of health insurance are they getting? That is why there are documented cases of people going broke in the U.S. to pay off their medical bills while we don't have such in Canada.

some will argue, their personal insurance is less than what Canadians pay, but what kind of health insurance are they getting
Not only that but those people would have to add on the amount they pay in taxes for the poor and those over 65 on Medicare. Plus it leaves a huge number of people without healthcare and there is a cost to be bourne for that too....and there is the component paid by employers and the cost to taxpayers to provide deluxe health insurance to all civil servants.

Your question is misleading. Every single UHC country in the world pays a fraction what we do per capita, and many rank higher in quality of care.

The actual question is: "Would you like to pay way less than you currently are for healthcare while getting full coverage for life for you, your family, and the rest of your countrymen?"

The actual question is: "Would you like to pay way less than you currently are for healthcare while getting full coverage for life for you, your family, and the rest of your countrymen?"
The answer is… yes! Sign me up.

Your question is misleading. Every single UHC country in the world pays a fraction what we do per capita, and many rank higher in quality of care.

A lot of that is due to the last month of life where we try everything we can to extend a person's life. It can easily cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

In countries with social medicine, it's your duty to the community to forgo all that expensive treatment, to save the society money.

The average Canadian pays about $5,789 a year for health care. Only Canadian poor don't pay anything for free health care. The rich pay much, much more than $5,789 per year.

Would you be willing to pay $5,789 per year, about $500 a month so that every man, woman, and child has health care in America? A Canadian like system?

lol...I pay close to $20K, and nobody has healthcare, at least not good healthcare.

In countries with social medicine, it's your duty to the community to forgo all that expensive treatment, to save the society money
What in heaven are you talking about? Examples?

A lot of that is due to the last month of life where we try everything we can to extend a person's life. It can easily cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

In countries with social medicine, it's your duty to the community to forgo all that expensive treatment, to save the society money.

That is total nonsense. You're trying to blame the ridiculous expense of our healthcare system on piss poor end of life care. In America before the ACA you could get turned down by your insurance for any reason, and they did.

/thread.

That was our annual car insurance bill for a family of four drivers with four vehicles in California, two being a male and female child both under 21, for many years.
By contrast, our annual healthcare policy for ONE child, my son....was over $15,000 a year.

Now he is finally on Medicare. He's disabled.
I'd take the Canadian system in a heartbeat.

Sure. That's half of what the average American pays now.

Sure. That's half of what the average American pays now.
It's probably closer to a third after we factor in employer contribution, deductibles, co-pay and max out of pocket expenses.

I pay more than that now once you factor in prescription costs, co-pays, and out of pocket expenses with an employer based system.

To be accurate you have to convert CDN to USD. The actual cost then to Americans would be $4,560 per year, or about $380 per month.

To be accurate you have to convert CDN to USD. The actual cost then to Americans would be $4,560 per year, or about $380 per month.

That's a good point.

Do you know how much a Canadian who makes a $100K a year has to pay?

It would be about what I pay now for family coverage with my PPO

Back
Top Bottom