• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you live in one of these?

Would you live in one of these structures?

• Yurt

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Steel Container

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Monolithic Dome

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • None

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Harry Guerrilla

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Would you live in one(or all) of these structures as a means of permanent housing?

Yurt.
16e1f970.jpg

Shipping container home.

45_shadeshed_s.jpg

Monolithic dome.
dome-home-after-01.jpg

If I have to live in one, I'll take the monolithic dome. Otherwise, I'll take a real house.

The Yurt for sure. Then I come out of my house wearing a Mongolian outfit.

_DSC4719.JPG

Sup bitches.

Having watched home improvement shows like This Old House, Hometime and several others I would pick a home made out of a shipping container. That shipping container home is the lousiest one I seen.

These would be better examples of a shipping container home.

Finishing a Container-Built Home, Strong, Affordable Storm-Ready Housing Project, Bob Vila, Bob on TV, BobVila.com

0226_episode.jpg

Low Impact Living » Blog Archive » Affordable Shipping Container House in Quebec

maison-1.jpg

http://renaissanceronin.wordpress.com/2008/08/09/mi-casa-es-su-container-it-is-too-honest/
1200350707_home-front-view.jpg

Last edited:
Having watched home improvement shows like This Old House, Hometime and several others I would pick a home made out of a shipping container. That shipping container home is the lousiest one I seen.

These would be better examples of a shipping container home.

Finishing a Container-Built Home, Strong, Affordable Storm-Ready Housing Project, Bob Vila, Bob on TV, BobVila.com

Low Impact Living » Blog Archive » Affordable Shipping Container House in Quebec

It was just a quick example I pulled up.

One of the local universities is constructing a number of homes similar to this in a test solution for homeless/housing problems. You can fit 8 -10 of these comfortably on a 1/4 acre plot.

How about converting a nuclear missile silo into a comfy home. Imagine your home theatre on the 1st floor basement, the bar on the 2nd, the home gym on the 3rd, the wine cellar on the 4th...

The Most Unique Real Estate In The World

The Good Reverend would consider one for his pool house, maybe. :shrug:

tree-house3.jpg

I’m partial to tree houses. :2wave:

I've seen those before and if you're single, they would be great.

In line with the OP...I would say the operative word is "would you"...now...by choice, would I? No. But if it were a choice between homeless or something like this? Sure...Ive lived in canvas tents in 136 degree tents and gravel floors...I think I could 'rough it' in something like this for a while.

Your callused levity reveals just how sympathetic to the unfortunate homeless you really are.

There, but for the luck of the fates go thee and me...

ricksfolly

I can be more callous.

Cardboard boxes and scrap lumber are free.
Throw a little painters plastic on top and you're almost water proof.

This thread is not about homeless people.

Last edited:
In line with the OP...I would say the operative word is "would you"...now...by choice, would I? No. But if it were a choice between homeless or something like this? Sure...Ive lived in canvas tents in 136 degree tents and gravel floors...I think I could 'rough it' in something like this for a while.

True, I'm just curious of if someone would consider any of these for permanent housing.
They all can be made with modern comforts in mind.

Scott Adams (Dilbert creator) recently wrote a piece for the WSJ chronicling the horrors of trying to build an eco-friendly house. It's worth a read

Link

You want to build a green home, too. So you find an architect, show him the magazine and say, "Give me one just like this."

Good luck with that.

Your architect only knows how to design homes using materials that his local planning commission is likely to approve. But he wants the job, so he tries hard to talk you out of using twigs, pinecones and abandoned bird nests. He tells you that no builder will build it. He tells you it won't get approved by the city. He tells you it won't stand up to earthquakes, hurricanes or termites. But you persist. You're saving the Earth, damn it. No one said it would be easy.

So the architect—and later your building engineer, too—each asks you to sign a document saying you won't sue them when beavers eat a load-bearing wall and your entire family is crushed by forest debris. You make the mistake of mentioning this arrangement to your family, and they leave you. But you are not deterred because you're saving the planet, damn it. You'll get a new family. A greener one.

Your next hurdle is the local planning commission. They like to approve things that are similar to things they've approved before. To do otherwise is to risk unemployment. And the neighbors don't want to live next to a house that looks like a compost pile. But let's say, for the sake of this fascinating story, that everyone in the planning commission is heavily medicated with medical marijuana and they approve your project over the objections of all of your neighbors, except for the beavers, who are suspiciously flexible. Now you need a contractor who is willing to risk his career to build this cutting-edge structure.

Good luck with that.

[...]

Scott Adams (Dilbert creator) recently wrote a piece for the WSJ chronicling the horrors of trying to build an eco-friendly house. It's worth a read

Link

This isn't about eco-friendliness either.

Most, if not all, of these structures are approved by international build standards or are in the process of approval.

No I would not. Real estate is more than just a home, it's an investment. I would not bother with a place unless I was pretty sure I could sell it someday easily and for a profit.

Would you live in one(or all) of these structures as a means of permanent housing?

Yurt.
16e1f970.jpg

Shipping container home.

45_shadeshed_s.jpg

Monolithic dome.
dome-home-after-01.jpg

I would if I had to. I would want something bigger if I was raising a family though. Also, I would hope that there was a bathroom, kitchen, and other modern things.

Back
Top Bottom