• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you live in one of these?

Would you live in one of these structures?

• Yurt

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Steel Container

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Monolithic Dome

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • None

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
I think your choice would very much depend on the climate of where you live. I live in a dry, Mediterranean climate. Steel containers would be unbearably hot in summer, bone-crackingly cold in winter, but they wouldn't rust.

Quite a few people round here live in yurts, a few in tipis and even more in caves. Caves are the best. They maintain an interior temperature of around 20 degrees (68F) year round, irrespective of what the temperature is outside. Brilliant!

outside.jpg

Caves are the best. They maintain an interior temperature of around 20 degrees (68F) year round, irrespective of what the temperature is outside. Brilliant!
On the (-) side... you're always looking out for bears. And if you happen to be female, you get rather sick of being clubbed over the head by your husband and dragged out by your hair.

On the (-) side... you're always looking out for bears. And if you happen to be female, you get rather sick of being clubbed over the head by your husband and dragged out by your hair.

Here in Spain we have neither bears nor husbands. That's just the way we roll.

Although the inhabitants of these cave-houses are known as trogloditos.

In line with the OP...I would say the operative word is "would you"...now...by choice, would I? No. But if it were a choice between homeless or something like this? Sure...Ive lived in canvas tents in 136 degree tents and gravel floors...I think I could 'rough it' in something like this for a while.

I agree with this statement.

I saw this once and thought it was pretty cool for a 'camping' like house. :D

ewokentrance_3.jpg

More here: Three Extreme Eco-friendly Houses of the Future | Scienceray

I think your choice would very much depend on the climate of where you live. I live in a dry, Mediterranean climate. Steel containers would be unbearably hot in summer, bone-crackingly cold in winter, but they wouldn't rust.

Quite a few people round here live in yurts, a few in tipis and even more in caves. Caves are the best. They maintain an interior temperature of around 20 degrees (68F) year round, irrespective of what the temperature is outside. Brilliant!

outside.jpg

Insulation is your friend.

Last edited:

One of the local universities is constructing a number of homes similar to this in a test solution for homeless/housing problems. You can fit 8 -10 of these comfortably on a 1/4 acre plot.

Those would probably be great in cities where the price of a home can get above a couple hundred thousand dollars. But in a lot of areas of the country you can buy a real home for the price of one of these tiny homes(even the price of a tiny home if you built it yourself)

Houses

Last edited:
Those would probably be great in cities where the price of a home can get above a couple hundred thousand dollars. But in a lot of areas of the country you can buy a real home for the price of one of these tiny homes(even the price of a tiny home if you built it yourself)

Houses

Under no circumstances could the Good Reverend see that thing as "great"..... :lamo

Clarkson could never get his 6'5" frame into that, never mind his ego.

I beg to differ :lol:

No ****ing clue how he manages, I'm the same height, and i struggle to fit into an Astra.

Last edited:
I'd live in either one.

Although those examples were on not the greatest. lol.

I beg to differ :lol:

No ****ing clue how he manages, I'm the same height, and i struggle to fit into an Astra.

You're six foot five? :shock:

Back
Top Bottom