• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you like to watch a film about Mr. Adolf Hitler making a Come-Back?

• yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • no

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Maybe you look also there:

OMG - what a boring comment.
And how un-original and for-see-able.

Here is the plot of the book:

In 2011, Adolf Hitler wakes up in a vacant lot in Berlin which appears to be the location of the garden outside the bunker where he was burned, with no knowledge of anything that happened following his death in 1945. Homeless and destitute, he interprets everything he sees and experiences in 2011 from a Nazi perspective—for instance, he assumes that Turks in Germany are an indicator of Karl Dönitz having persuaded Turkey to join the Axis, and thinks that Wikipedia is named for Wikinger ("Vikings"). Although everyone recognizes him, nobody believes that he is Hitler; instead, they think he is either a comedian or a method actor. He appears on a variety television show called Whoa, dude!, going off-script to broadcast his views. Videos of his angry rants become hugely successful on YouTube, and he achieves modern celebrity status as a performer. The newspaper Bild tries to take him down, but is sued into praising him. He is beaten up by Neo-Nazis who think he is mocking the memory of Hitler, unaware that he is the genuine article. In the end, he uses his popularity to re-enter politics.

More:

Sorry... before the Trump Presidency, I probably would have said "yes". Not anymore, though.

Satire is dead... Trump killed it. It was his most historic accomplishment. Out of all of human history, he is only one of two men (that I'm aware of) to have ever killed an entire literary genre.

What kind of piece of shit thinks a mass murdering dictator waking up in the 21st century would make a good movie?
See "Springtime for Hitler," courtesy of Mel Brooks in "The Producers," or the "Great Dictator" by Charlie Chaplin, the latter made while Germany was occupying France.

Sorry... before the Trump Presidency, I probably would have said "yes". Not anymore, though.

Satire is dead... Trump killed it. It was his most historic accomplishment. Out of all of human history, he is only one of two men (that I'm aware of) to have ever killed an entire literary genre.
I think you are right. How does one satirize The Donald? I've seen SNL and others, and they are clever at times, but hardly satisfying. Like Macbeth, who murdered sleep, Donald murdered satire. And, of course, truth.

But who killed the other literary genre?

What kind of piece of shit thinks a mass murdering dictator waking up in the 21st century would make a good movie?
The same people who still listen to recordings from R Kelly and watch Chris Benoit wrestling matches.

It's a way of healing, of getting over the past. And a dark comedy is a way of provoking thought, as well.

We thought Hitler and Stalin (also a dark comedy about Stalin was made, can't recall name) were history... hell, 20 years after the Wars end Mel Brooks could make The Producers...

Well, Hitler and all the other monsters that followed him all the way to Putin remind us that evil people are part of the human condition...and must be dealt with.

I saw a movie about Russians finding Stalin's long lost son and trying to revive Stalinism behind him. It was like ten years ago, so i don't remember much of the plot. This guy was trying to track him down to stop him, and the shocking part was how many Russians still supported Stalin. It wouldn't be as shocking now.

I saw a movie about Russians finding Stalin's long lost son and trying to revive Stalinism behind him. It was like ten years ago, so i don't remember much of the plot. This guy was trying to track him down to stop him, and the shocking part was how many Russians still supported Stalin. It wouldn't be as shocking now.
I think it was this film.

the "Great Dictator" by Charlie Chaplin, the latter made while Germany was occupying France.
That was a great film - and still is!

I think it was this film.

Here is the plot summary of the novel:

While attending a conference in Moscow, the historian Christopher "Fluke" Kelso is met by an old man named Papu Rapava, who claims to have been present at the death of Joseph Stalin. Immediately after Stalin's death, Lavrenty Beria supposedly took measures to secure a black notebook, which is believed to be Stalin's secret diary. Rapava spent years in Kolyma after the authorities tried to extract the book's location from him, but he has never revealed it though he knows that shadowy agents are still watching him in case he goes near the mysterious thing.

Kelso eventually locates the notebook, which Rapava had left to his daughter just before he was recaptured and tortured to death. It proves to be the memoirs of a young girl chosen by Stalin to be the mother of his secret heir. Following the trail to the remote northern city of Arkhangelsk, Kelso comes face to face with Stalin's son.

Raised in a log cabin filled with Stalin's personal effects, writings and recorded speeches, the son is a physical and ideological copy of his father. It is revealed that he had murdered the husband-and-wife KGB agents who had raised him from infancy when he decided they were untrustworthy. Young Stalin has been told that he would be sent for when it was time for him to assume control of his country, and he believes that Kelso is the promised messenger.

Stalin overcomes a special forces unit sent to eliminate him, which alarms Kelso by his ruthless and dispassionate use of violence, and he boards a train headed for Moscow. At each station, ever-larger crowds gather to witness the apparent resurrection of the famous dictator, and it appears that he might be able simply to stride through the doors of the Kremlin and assume command.

As he steps off the train in Moscow, Rapava's daughter, who has made her way into the crowd at the railway station, takes out her father's pistol. The novel ends there.

Sounds like an interesting novel.

One of two - and who is the other one?

William Topaz McGonagall (March 1825[2] – 29 September 1902) was a Scottish poet of Irish descent. He won notoriety as an extremely bad poet who exhibited no recognition of, or concern for, his peers' opinions of his work.

He wrote about 200 poems, including "The Tay Bridge Disaster" and "The Famous Tay Whale", which are widely regarded as some of the worst in English literature. Groups throughout Scotland engaged him to make recitations from his work, and contemporary descriptions of these performances indicate that many listeners were appreciating McGonagall's skill as a comic music hall character. Collections of his verse remain popular, with several volumes available today.

McGonagall has been lampooned as the worst poet in British history. The chief criticisms are that he was deaf to poetic metaphor and unable to scan correctly. His only apparent understanding of poetry was his belief that it needed to rhyme. McGonagall's fame stems from the humorous effects these shortcomings are considered to generate in his work. Scholars argue that his inappropriate rhythms, weak vocabulary, and ill-advised imagery combine to make his work amongst the most unintentionally amusing dramatic poetry in the English language. His work is in a long tradition of narrative ballads and verse written and published about great events and tragedies, and widely circulated among the local population as handbills. In an age before radio and television, their voice was one way of communicating important news to an avid public.

Three cheers for that William!

He did more for mankind than Trump could ever do.

Some details:

In 1883 he celebrated the official opening of University College, Dundee with the poem "The Inauguration of University College Dundee" which opens with the stanza:[14]

Good people of Dundee, your voices raise,
And to Miss Baxter give great praise;
Rejoice and sing and dance with glee,
Because she has founded a college in Bonnie Dundee.
McGonagall constantly struggled with money and earned money by selling his poems in the streets, or reciting them in halls, theatres and public houses. When he was in periods of financial insecurity, his friends supported him with donations.[10]: viii  In 1880, he sailed to London to seek his fortune, and in 1887 to New York. In both instances, he returned unsuccessful.[10]: vii 

He found lucrative work performing his poetry at a local circus. He read his poems while the crowd was permitted to pelt him with eggs, flour, herrings, potatoes and stale bread. For this, he received fifteen shillings a night. McGonagall seemed happy with this arrangement, but the events became so raucous that the city magistrates were forced to put a ban on them.[10]: vii-ix  McGonagall was outraged and wrote a poem in response entitled "Lines in Protest to the Dundee Magistrates":

Fellow citizens of Bonnie Dundee
Are ye aware how the magistrates have treated me?
Nay, do not stare or make a fuss
When I tell ye they have boycotted me from appearing in Royal Circus,
Which in my opinion is a great shame,
And a dishonour to the city's name (...)

Back
Top Bottom