• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you like ELECTION DAY to be a Sunday (or Saturday/Sunday combined), instead of Tuesday ?

Election Day should ...

• Total voters
IMO the general election should be a 4 day national holiday weekend event with polling stations open on Thursday at 6:00 AM to 6 PM and Friday 6:00 AM to 6 PM.

This would at least give the lazy assed "mail in patriots" plenty of time to whine their way over to their respective polling stations.

It would allow plenty of time for the localities to count/verify the votes.

It would shorten the lines at the polling stations.

The winner(s) broadcasted by 10 PM on Friday.

Paper ballots only...........people who can't read can be assisted by poll workers.

Nationally standardized vote scanners not connected to the net in any form ....... I know it's a hard sell to some states.

No mail in ballots .......with the exception of citizens overseas, military, and the disabled. Cut off the receiving of absentee ballots on Thursday morning.

Voting should be as easy as possible for as many people as possible.
I agree as long as the member of the Electorate is legally allowed, without any disqualification, to vote in the Election in question.
I don't see any reason why we need to have a single fixed "election day" at all.
A fixed day for voted ballot tabulation in Federal Elections, I really don't oppose, as long as the following are still allowed, Vote by Mail, No Excuse Absentee Balloting, Early Voting.
Give a week or so to cast your vote in person and guarantee voting by mail for every registered voter as well.
Absolutely.
Lord knows George Washington only became the elected President after Elections conducted across 11 States over a couple weeks time frame.
If it was good enough for our first election I don't see any issue with it now?

I think it should be a three day weekend event with the one weekday being a National Holiday.

Most especially if the powers that be are going to try to severely restrict mail-in voting.

In the United Kingdom it is the Thursday which is the traditional voting day.

In the United Kingdom it is the Thursday which is the traditional voting day.

There's the fact that we have way, way more voting booths and as such don't have long lines.
We have a law that states that everyone must have a booth within walking distance so that the elderly and people without cars can vote easily.
My Mum ran a voting station for decades before she retired and my town even though small by US standards has many voting stations.
I'm 45 and in all the years I've been voting I've never had to wait longer than a few minutes to vote even in the most important and busy elections.

There's the fact that we have way, way more voting booths and as such don't have long lines.
We have a law that states that everyone must have a booth within walking distance so that the elderly and people without cars can vote easily.
Very sensible! (y)(y)(y)

The vote-on-Tuesday thing was designed for farmers.

We are no longer a nation of farmers. Not many of us, anyway.

Move voting day to the weekend where it belongs.
Some Democracies actually designate election day as a holiday. Making it easier to vote on the day.

If i work a 10 hour shift, go to vote at 5pm, with a 2 hour line to the booth, it makes for a long day. For some it's too long, so they don't vote.

I vote for weekend voting and cutting back on mail-in voting.

We here in Austria vote on Sundays.

Most people have time off from work (unlike in the US, almost all shops and services companies are closed on Sunday, except gas stations for example or restaurants. Police, hospitals, nursing homes of course are open too). And those who work, can request a mail ballot too or go voting during work.

I therefore prefer voting on Sundays, because it's not a deterrent like a weekday for workers (explaining to their boss they need to go voting).

Ideally, the US could use a full weekend to vote + to boost turnout.

It should be available for a week or more on line.

Why we still vote in person, with paper is absurd.

Back
Top Bottom