• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you let crime run you out of where you live?

Superfly

Salty, defiant, and completely non-compliant.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Just wondering. Where I live seems to be getting worse. A girl was kidnapped from her place of business this past Tuesday, and they found her body last night. 22 years old, with 2 kids. Friday night, a husband, 50, and wife, 46, were both stabbed. The husband died. A few months ago, an 11 month old baby was shot in the face, while out for a walk with his mother. A few months before that, a city councilman was found shot in the head, with his hands tied by zipties. He was dumped in the marina. It was ruled a suicide, even though his hands were tied. :roll: This, all in a very small town. Worries me that I am living, shopping, and possibly eating in the same restaurants as these people. I know, this sounds silly. Just jacked up about that 22 year old Mom. Was hoping she'd be found alive.

Just wondering. Where I live seems to be getting worse. A girl was kidnapped from her place of business this past Tuesday, and they found her body last night. 22 years old, with 2 kids. Friday night, a husband, 50, and wife, 46, were both stabbed. The husband died. A few months ago, an 11 month old baby was shot in the face, while out for a walk with his mother. A few months before that, a city councilman was found shot in the head, with his hands tied by zipties. He was dumped in the marina. It was ruled a suicide, even though his hands were tied. :roll: This, all in a very small town. Worries me that I am living, shopping, and possibly eating in the same restaurants as these people. I know, this sounds silly. Just jacked up about that 22 year old Mom. Was hoping she'd be found alive.

Hell yeah.

Granted, I am someone with rather shallow roots, and I haven't lived anywhere for an especially long time. This piece of dirt, that piece of dirt, whatever. But if one of the pieces of dirt is full of unchecked violent crime, I'll choose the other.

I might stick it out if I saw tangible evidence that the community was trying to address the issue. But if they aren't, then why should you stay? If you don't feel safe and there's no significant reason *not* to move, then... why not move?

I left a neighborhood a while ago with a bit of a heavy heart. I wasn't in love with the place, honestly, but there was some neat culture underneath all the bull, and I saw some people trying to improve things. Problem is they were drastically outnumbered by the people who either didn't care or seemed to almost want to make it worse.

At the end of the day, there is no hope for a neighborhood if the people in it don't care.

After the third crime committed at my building ALONE within a 6-month period, I said, "**** this. If they don't care, neither do I." There's no reason for me to just sit around and wait for my place to get hit again. That fourth time could be the time they finally get into my apartment. I'm not exactly an imposing figure, and I'm not going to twiddle my thumbs and let it come to me.

Last edited:
If I had kids I would move immediately. If I was married probably. If single I would just carry 2 weapons instead of one.

A few months ago, an 11 month old baby was shot in the face, while out for a walk with his mother.
WTF?!

Wtf do you live? A Favela?

If I had kids I would move immediately. If I was married probably. If single I would just carry 2 weapons instead of one.

Heya Mak :2wave: .....I agree with ya there. ( I know, who would have ever ka-thunked that :lol: ) I have lived around it all my life. Watched others do the same. Different mentality takes hold when one is Single and doesn't have those other responsibilities to look out for.

Once my ex was pregnant with my First. Changed up on how I reacted when out with others that I would have to keep an eye out on. That meant more than anything Associated to myself. Moreover.....I moved out of the City Proper and to a neighborhood that was like a suburb. Not that there wasn't bangers or crime. Just whole lot less of it. Plus I made sure my kids would not grow up in.....nor be around it.

Although when I was younger and some tried to step off when I did have others with me, once afterwards when people were not with me. I would re-round with those types to kinda explain why they need to think before they act. Most times.....words weren't even used. Until it was over.

Course you know how it is with the battlefield. If it is my time.....then it is my time. Nothing will change that. For myself, I will stand my ground, and if necessary Take anothers.

You sort of gave away where you live. ;)

That's a hard one. We live in a fairly peaceful suburb of Austin TX. but, we have our fair share of crime of all sorts. It all comes down to whether you'd rather fight than switch.

1965tareytonad.jpg

I used to live in Kansas City and opted to move to a smaller community about 9 years ago. While not experiencing crime first hand at HOME, the area where I lived was an older neighborhood and several of the surrounding properties were occupied by renters. I started noticing textbook drug activity three doors down and decided I wasn't going to wait around to see what came of it.

I worked in Overland Park, KS, and was robbed at gunpoint, twice while at work.

Moved to a smaller town and while it's not crime free, I haven't experienced any of what I'd seen before. I moved mostly for my kids benefit. I didn't want them growing up in a place where it wasn't safe for them to play outside, and now they are high schoolers, I'm glad I did. I couldn't imagine them attending the high school they would have had to go to, had I stayed where I was.

Moved after a car was stolen and house broken into.
And on top of that the police there are worthless.
So yes, I would and have.

Well, I don't live in the city. I live outside the city. Takes about 20 minutes to get into downtown. I'm not so worried about where I live (as far as the house) but more concerned about where the girls go to school, where we eat, where we shop, where we drive, etc.

I don't know - I just get worried. I love my house, I love living where I do, being so close to the ocean. We just built this house last year, but it seems like the crime has just exploded.

We just built this house last year, but it seems like the crime has just exploded.
Emphasis added.

You cannot judge crime rates based on sensationalist news articles. You need to get the actual figures.

In most communities, crime has been dropping since the mid 90s, and many cities are the safest they've been since the 1960s. You wouldn't know that by watching the nightly news.

Yes. In fact we are in the process of doing just that. Our small town has seen crime on the rise with no end in sight. Main reason is places closing down or cutting back. We lost a Firestone Plant, two major casting plants, Borg Warner Plant all in a matter of two years I believe. Caterpillar is laying off, ADM has cut back it's work force, and small business is starting to fade as expected. Our population is dwindling and I don't see that letting up anytime soon.

We have decided it's time to go. Everyone on my side of the family is leaving as well as the majority of my wifes side. Quite a few friends are or have already left.

The problem is where do you go to get away from it?

Yes. In fact we are in the process of doing just that. Our small town has seen crime on the rise with no end in sight. Main reason is places closing down or cutting back. We lost a Firestone Plant, two major casting plants, Borg Warner Plant all in a matter of two years I believe. Caterpillar is laying off, ADM has cut back it's work force, and small business is starting to fade as expected. Our population is dwindling and I don't see that letting up anytime soon.

We have decided it's time to go. Everyone on my side of the family is leaving as well as the majority of my wifes side. Quite a few friends are or have already left.

The problem is where do you go to get away from it?

:shrug: No answer. Somewhere up in the mountains, out in the middle of nowhere? But even then, you still have to venture into civilization to shop. I don't want to leave. I like my house, the kids are happy here and we have friends, plus we are far away from family which is a plus. I just don't know what to do about all the crime.

:shrug: No answer. Somewhere up in the mountains, out in the middle of nowhere? But even then, you still have to venture into civilization to shop. I don't want to leave. I like my house, the kids are happy here and we have friends, plus we are far away from family which is a plus. I just don't know what to do about all the crime.

Protect your family. Everything else is secondary.

Can you move? If you can, I would.

I like my house, the kids are happy here and we have friends, plus we are far away from family which is a plus. I just don't know what to do about all the crime.
1) Ignore the news.
2) Get the actual statistics on crime rates in your area.
3) If it does turn out that crime is increasing in your area, and you don't think anyone is going to do anything about it, then find a safer city to live.

Well, it's not really a matter of the news, Visbek. The crime is actually happening here, whether it makes the news or not.

If you like your house and your town then stay and make it work. Not much one person can do to curb crime but just work to not be a victim.

I like the mountain idea. We are doing something along those lines. Don't mind going into to town to shop. Just have to stay aware of my surroundings.

Anyway It will come to you on what you need to do. Good Luck

Crime down in the US?

Who are you going to believe, the news or your own eyes?

It has never been so bad, nor has it ever been a part of every community in the United States before. Those who are looking to move despair that there is no place left to go.

The reason every state has now passed CCW laws is NOT because crime is down.

Last edited:
Well, it's not really a matter of the news, Visbek. The crime is actually happening here, whether it makes the news or not.
So how are you finding out about it?

No area is 100% crime-free, and you can't judge how safe your area based on a few outrageous events. It's also perfectly normal for there to be several crimes in a short period of time, followed by long periods of low crime; temporary increases in crime in hot weather, and so forth.

And again, crime is way down across the US since the 90s. While I'm sure that some areas are still getting worse, most places are getting safer.

Again, a site like Neighborhood Scout gives you a comparison of your area to the national average; if the stats aren't recent enough, call the local cops and get more current stats. And if it really does turn out that your area is not that safe, you can use it to check whether a place you want to move to is or isn't safe.

Crime is down in US. The conservative propaganda machine just keeps you scared. Your eyes give you a very small (electron microscopic) perspective on something as vast as national statistics. Kinda the same thing applies to UHC, or gun statistics etc. You cant really generalize what you think you see to the rest of the nation.
Crime down in the US?

Who are you going to believe, the news or your own eyes?

It has never been so bad, nor has it ever been a part of every community in the United States before. Those who are looking to move despair that there is no place left to go.

The reason every state has now passed CCW laws is NOT because crime is down.

I lived in the suburbs of Flint, Michigan for 29 years. I think that answers the question.

Back
Top Bottom