• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you join if Musk starts a 2022 centrist populist movement?

• Total voters
Humor me for a moment because I am really just spitballing and letting my imagination run...

I've begun to wonder if there's a critical mass or tipping point where the accumulation of personal wealth becomes so enthralling, addictive and avaricious that
it creates a toxic "radioactive" field that permanently knocks all human rationality aside.

I mean, when a person accumulates more wealth than the gross domestic product of several nations, it MUST create a personal belief that one is indeed some sort of "god walking the earth".
I doubt it is in the few billion range, as I am aware of a few billionaires who are still fairly grounded, accessible, even given over to practicing their best to stay connected to humanity as much as possible.

But it seems as if once one gets beyond a certain line, say perhaps ten billion or so, I guess the "god complex" is almost unavoidable.
It didn't seem to happen to the Gates' (Bill and Melinda) or even Warren Buffet. I think you kinda have to be a nut to begin with - like Musk.

Yes, I think this is why a lot of billionaires go into charity work. Once you start feeling like a God due to achieving everything to be achieved in terms of money, some people forget they are just human beings and start making irrational decisions. That is why is important in the west to have our term limits. Too much power goes to your head.

My favourite story is attributed to Marcus Aurelius:

The story goes that Marcus Aurelius hired an assistant to follow him as he walked through the Roman towns square.The assistant’s only role was to, whenever Marcus Aurelius was praised, whisper in his ear, « You’re just a man. You’re just a man. »

They say two things define us. Our patience when we have nothing and our humility when we have everything.

Follow-worthy

Do you honestly think Elon Musk will allow his platform to be overrun by far-right members? Every single liberal, independent, and reasonable conservative will leave Twitter and the company will suffer economically to the point of bankruptcy.

The man is all about business. In business, you have clients, not ideological sympathies.

But you do have a point on some elements of the right calling him "hero" which as I said I am looking forward to when he switches the cannon to the opposite side. I suspect some of the positions will be reversed in that event.
Tell that to Rupert Murdoch :p

This is a textbook response that underlines the reason why reading is fundamental.
I never said that cross company calls were impossible.

You implied they were

And to say websites are limited by physical place underlines your ignorance as to how the internet works.

Yes it was a typo I obviously meant aren't. Your ignorance is the only thing that exceeds your lack or reading comprehension

Your final sentence underlines it even more.
Also, as if it even bears pointing out, I am neither in Congress nor do I approve of ageism.
Apparently you are quite the ageist however.

Anytime you wish to argue IT, let me know.

Again your reading comprehension is low. If you had bothered to read the thread the idea about breaking Twitter up was mentioned as a Bernie Sanders idea.

You have yet to show how a broken up twitter would actually work. Anytime you wish to present a point to argue let me know

Well said and honest reply. (y)
I'm just tired of folks hiding behind the "centrist" label so they can avoid attacks while doing nothing but attacking Democrats. I swear - when I ask these guys who claim they're "Centrist" while doing nothing but bashing Democrats, they just say, "there's enough TDS". The truth is NO. There is not TOO MUCH TDS. There's not enough. Officials in the Republican party like McConnel said they'd support trump if he ran again. Republicans are traitors to this nation.

It didn't seem to happen to the Gates' (Bill and Melinda) or even Warren Buffet. I think you kinda have to be a nut to begin with - like Musk.
Oh I do agree he's something of an outlier.
Not always however...but yes, most of the time.

Gates really does suffer from a slight case of "Revenge of the Nerds" however, but I think it is just limited to his enjoyment of material goods.
As a motorhead I was suprised to learn of Gates' love of high performance cars, for instance.

A Motor Trend author went to check out Gates' purchase of the then UNOBTANIUM Porsche 959.

Porsche_959_%28series_2%29_in_Belgravia_on_2012-03-01.jpg

The Motor Trend reporter was invited to take a rare cruise with Gates in his 959, and quickly found himself doing 130+ on a mountain highway with Gates not even wearing his seat belt, whatever buzzer or safety alarm apparently having been disabled.
Gates blurted out that seat belts "are for ******zzzzz" and floored it. :LOL:

The Show and Display law is a product of pressure by Gates and a handful of others.

I'm just tired of folks hiding behind the "centrist" label so they can avoid attacks while doing nothing but attacking Democrats. I swear - when I ask these guys who claim they're "Centrist" while doing nothing but bashing Democrats, they just say, "there's enough TDS". The truth is NO. There is not TOO MUCH TDS. There's not enough. Officials in the Republican party like McConnel said they'd support trump if he ran again. Republicans are traitors to this nation.

Not quite sure that @Centrist is quite as guilty of your broadsides as you may think.
But that's just me, I could be wrong ;)

Not quite sure that @Centrist is quite as guilty of your broadsides as you may think.
But that's just me, I could be wrong ;)
Let him believe what he wants (y). If that keeps him going, it does not affect me. I don't stand in the way of people finding ways to get through the day.

The poll comes from a text I got from a friend of mine. He likes Twitter more than I do, as I mentioned previously, in my opinion, companies like Twitter are moving capitalism in the wrong direction. I might even agree with Bernie Sanders on this one to split them up.

At the present time, Elon Musk is aiming hard at the left, especially at the practices on MSNBC. In my estimation, he will stop and soon start aiming at the logical choice, FOX News. The way my friend put it is:

"You shake the left, you shake the right, you get yourself, quality centrists". :D:D:D

I will vote maybe as with the issue with his business practice which leaves both of my options open depending on how he evolves.

Also, one thing I noticed is -> Multiple People are circulating a photo of him and Ghislaine Maxwell as "proof" that he was in the Epstein camp. False, the photo was from an event years ago and she just jumped in the picture. Musk's response was genius: "Why don't you ask the magazine why did they invite her".

View attachment 67389073
Any third choice would be better than the two choices we have now. A choice between extremist.

You implied they were
You have yet to show how a broken up twitter would actually work. Anytime you wish to present a point to argue let me know

Uhhh no, I never implied anything of the sort. In fact, the reason I mentiond the breakup of the Bell Companies was to DEMONSTRATE the fact
that Twitter would still function as before, the only real difference being there would be multiple fully interconnected instances of it, just as WITH the telephone system and today's internet in general, which is also not monopolized by one corporate ISP.

All I have to do, again, is point out that the telephone system, which previously WAS monopolized BY The Bell System (with the exception of GTE California) still works AS if. You can still pick up your phone and call anywhere, to anyone, no matter which company services their connection.

Furthermore, Mastodon is an open source Twitter clone functioning right now, and they've noted a surge in subscriptions ever since Musk stepped in to buy Twitter. All Mastodon servers can interact with each other at the choosing of the subscribers.

Learn something, young ageist.

Musk should not get involved in politics, and I doubt that he is a centrist. We do not need another rich guy trying to manipulate the US for their own benefit.
Manipulate? You mean like the owner of one of the most liberal read papers in the US. Jeff Bezos..... owner of Amazon and maybe the second riches man in the world just after Musk. Amazon who can manipulate what you read and cancel anyone from the internet ....like Parlor which may have had views Bezos didn't wanted you to see. I won't even get into the owner of facebook....Mark Zuckerberg who has and continues to interfere with elections like removing conservative posts and pouring money into the Wisc recent elections. and who knows what else these elite people had done to interfere with the 2020 election.

Musk should not get involved in politics, and I doubt that he is a centrist. We do not need another rich guy trying to manipulate the US for their own benefit.
Musk is not a centrist in any way...he's an admitted liberal and always has been.

I mean the Republican Party and the Democratic Party lobbying groups in the US are doing that already and have been doing it for years. In my opinion -> they market it as doing the work for the "people". :sleep:

I am more pragmatic, there will always be someone at the top. So MSNBC is there, Fox News is there, so why not a third force to rattle things? When you have different forces running in society, is harder for only 1 force to take the upperhand.
If Musk started a populist movement based on mainstream conservatism, I would consider joining it. Otherwise I am a conservative independent.

The poll comes from a text I got from a friend of mine. He likes Twitter more than I do, as I mentioned previously, in my opinion, companies like Twitter are moving capitalism in the wrong direction. I might even agree with Bernie Sanders on this one to split them up.

At the present time, Elon Musk is aiming hard at the left, especially at the practices on MSNBC. In my estimation, he will stop and soon start aiming at the logical choice, FOX News. The way my friend put it is:

"You shake the left, you shake the right, you get yourself, quality centrists". :D:D:D

I will vote maybe as with the issue with his business practice which leaves both of my options open depending on how he evolves.

Also, one thing I noticed is -> Multiple People are circulating a photo of him and Ghislaine Maxwell as "proof" that he was in the Epstein camp. False, the photo was from an event years ago and she just jumped in the picture. Musk's response was genius: "Why don't you ask the magazine why did they invite her".

View attachment 67389073
He's not a centrist, he's a narcissist.

But to answer your question, obviously not.

No. I don't want anything to do with Elon Musk.

Nope. Any movement Musk starts will be forever tainted by the fact that he's an asshole the size of a blue whale's.

There is a big advantage to Musk. He can't be bought.

I find it very unlikely that Musk is a "centrist populist," what I do see is a very rich person playing around with social media and politics. As several others have tried.

What could possibly go wrong?

I find it very unlikely that Musk is a "centrist populist," what I do see is a very rich person playing around with social media and politics. As several others have tried.

What could possibly go wrong?
If only it were that vanilla. Musk has an ideology, and it is horrific.

I mean the Republican Party and the Democratic Party lobbying groups in the US are doing that already and have been doing it for years. In my opinion -> they market it as doing the work for the "people". :sleep:

I am more pragmatic, there will always be someone at the top. So MSNBC is there, Fox News is there, so why not a third force to rattle things? When you have different forces running in society, is harder for only 1 force to take the upperhand.
Welp, you see we do not need more of this crap screwing up the country. You know two wrongs do not make a right? Chaos is what Putin/Xi is gunning for.

View attachment 67389073
As far as a "populist" Musk is Trump with a bigger wallet. Both are thin skinned, vindictive liars and control freaks
with a fascist bent.

Elon Musk Personally Cancels 'Super Rude' Customer's Tesla ...

https://www.entrepreneur.com › article
Feb 3, 2016 — In fact, the golden boy CEO did just that, personally canceling venture capitalist Stewart Alsop's order for a Model X after Alsop called him .

Scary asshole with scarier openly fascist friends. Run the other way!

The Red-Pill Prince - Curtis Yarvin, Political Theorist - Tablet ...​

https://www.tabletmag.com › sections › news › articles

Mar 30, 2022 — Yarvin's calls to do away with democracy and turn, say, Elon Musk into America's new CEO king—that's just the liberal technocratic system we ...

Do you mean, like, an actual political movement that fields actual candidates? Probably not, and Elon Musk would certainly be the wrong person to lead it. He doesn't need a political movement and political movements don't need him. He's got his hands full with self-driving cars, better batteries, cool rockets, and solar panels.

On the other hand, if by a "centrist movement" we're just talking about a loose collection of somewhat like-minded people speaking about similar ideas...sure, I suppose so. I generally consider myself center-left or neoliberal. I'm not much for extremism. A "centrist populist movement" is probably a no-go for me, as I generally don't like populism. But I suppose it would depend on the specific ideas.

I’d judge whatever political group he started on its merits. I wouldn’t vote for him for office though. He’s a narcissist and a troll, and the last thing we need is another of those in the WH. He may be centrist on social wedge issues but I’m not convinced he can relate at all with the people on kitchen table issues.

Musk could change his centrist views on social wedge issues in a finger-snap. That's his style.

Do you see Dems relating/messaging to the people on kitchen-table issues?

Back
Top Bottom