• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Would you force your religion on your kids?

Would you force your religion on your kids?

• Yes

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • No

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • no opinion (please specify)

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters
Jerry said:
Wicca? No. I have my opinions of Wicca, being a former practitioner, but choosing Wicca wouldn't disable I.T.T.'s "I wouldn't hate them for it" default position.

I would say....Satanism, where animal torture and abuse, rape, child abuse and Thaumaturgy are common practice; I would hate my child for choosing.

What about the ritual cannibalism in Catholicism, would you have a problem with that?

I once watched a special on TV where Kirk Cameron tried to convince me that I wasn't going to get into heaven, that I wasn't going to be saved, and that he was trying his best to wake people like me up so we could be born again and saved for all eternity. I remember thinking if I end up somewhere different than Kirk Cameron for all eternity that's got to be a plus!

Static, my history is a little foggy...could you please tell me about The First Council of Nicaea again? i think its that meeting in which the divinity of Christ was VOTED UPON. or maybe about all the Gnostic gospels that were chucked out the window or burned because they disproved the belief that Jesus is god? And what of the many crusades, launced against not only Muslims but any religion that threatened the power of the Church? I refuse to believe that God wants us to kill others, no matter who says it, christian, muslim, hindhu, whatever - Murder is Murder, and Murder is wrong. Any "God" who says otherwise is not one i would associate myself with.

you created your own god, and expect others to believe in him because it's 'what is right'. Your arrogance is amazing.

MrFungus420 said:
What about the ritual cannibalism in Catholicism, would you have a problem with that?
I take issue with cannibalism, but I know of nothing in Catholicism which involves eating people.

Maybe he meant communion...wine is the blood, wafer is the body...

ngdawg said:
Maybe he meant communion...wine is the blood, wafer is the body...
If so, then that would be another example of those who oppose religion per-se taking simbology literally.

No actual blood was ever drunk.
No actual flesh was ever eaten.

Communion is symbolic of, basically, accepting the Christ inside you, of accepting Christ as your savior, of becoming one with Christ, of giving freely.

Not even the last supper itself had cannibalism.

Jerry said:
If so, then that would be another example of those who oppose religion per-se taking simbology literally.

No actual blood was ever drunk.
No actual flesh was ever eaten.

Communion is symbolic of, basically, accepting the Christ inside you, of accepting Christ as your savior, of becoming one with Christ, of giving freely.

Not even the last supper itself had cannibalism.

actually that is not totally accurate, according to my upbringing in the Roman Catholic church
when the preist goes thru the blessings, the host (wafer) and wine that is recieved are turned into the Body and the Blood of Christ, Literally

DeeJayH said:
actually that is not totally accurate, according to my upbringing in the Roman Catholic church
when the preist goes thru the blessings, the host (wafer) and wine that is recieved are turned into the Body and the Blood of Christ, Literally
....which doesn't actually happen. Never did. Pump the stomach of a parishioner after communion and you will find a wafer, not a lump of flesh. You will find traces of wine, not blood.

Don't get me started about the Catholic Church....Benedict himself is a heretic.

Not going to have any kids, so "no opinion." But if I did have kids, I couldn't force my beliefs on them; I don't have any. I am perfectly content to let the mysteries of the universe remain mysteries, until I find answers for them, but those answers for them give me knowledge, not belief. And I'd do the same for my kids: I wouldn't teach them anything: I'd have them read, and decide for themselves. If they wanted to go ask a priest/rabbi/theologian for more information, I'd take them.

I think it would be interesting, though, to find out if reading the Bible, without any particular sermonizing from a Christian, would convince someone that Christianity, or Judaism, is truthful. Ditto the Koran and Islam.

CoffeeSaint said:
Not going to have any kids, so "no opinion." But if I did have kids, I couldn't force my beliefs on them; I don't have any. I am perfectly content to let the mysteries of the universe remain mysteries, until I find answers for them, but those answers for them give me knowledge, not belief. And I'd do the same for my kids: I wouldn't teach them anything: I'd have them read, and decide for themselves. If they wanted to go ask a priest/rabbi/theologian for more information, I'd take them.

I think it would be interesting, though, to find out if reading the Bible, without any particular sermonizing from a Christian, would convince someone that Christianity, or Judaism, is truthful. Ditto the Koran and Islam.

and yet kids need structure and guidance and values instilled in them
religion is not the exclusive source of this, but it is a good tool
My ex chose not to raise my son religiously
and at times, i do have concerns because of it
but he is in no way a bad person because we did not thump him in the head with a bible every night or every sunday

afro
Dude, stop being a retard. Obviously a person can be offended even though someone didn't intend to offend them. It seems as though you're the one being childish, by doing your name calling. "Oh, look at me, I'm Bodisatva, I'm so cool because I call people a Jack-***"

in·sult P Pronunciation Key ( n-s lt )
v. in·sult·ed, in·sult·ing, in·sults
v. tr.
a. To treat with gross insensitivity, insolence, or contemptuous rudeness. See Synonyms at offend.
b. To affront or demean: an absurd speech that insulted the intelligence of the audience.
2. Obsolete. To make an attack on.

af·front P Pronunciation Key ( -fr nt )
tr.v. af·front·ed, af·front·ing, af·fronts
1. To insult intentionally, especially openly See Synonyms at offend.
a. To meet defiantly; confront.
b. Obsolete. To meet or encounter face to face.

To insult INTENTIONALLY, especially openly.

treat P Pronunciation Key (tr t)
v. treat·ed, treat·ing, treats
v. tr.
1. To act or behave in a specified manner toward.

The crucial word here is “Specify”.

spec·i·fy P Pronunciation Key (sp s -f )
tr.v. spec·i·fied, spec·i·fy·ing, spec·i·fies
1. To state explicitly or in detail: specified the amount needed.
2. To include in a specification.
3. To state as a condition: specified that they be included in the will.
4. To determine or bring about (a specific result): a gene that specifies the synthesis of a single protein.

--- To state explicitly…
ex·plic·it P Pronunciation Key ( k-spl s t)
adj.
a. fully and clearly expressed; leaving nothing implied.
b. Fully and clearly defined or formulated: “generalizations that are powerful, precise, and explicit” (Frederick Turner).

--- Fully and clearly expressed; leaving nothing implied.

So, to INSULT a person is to TREAT (To act in a specified manner or to state explicitly which is Fully and clearly expressed) or to AFFRONT them (To insult INTENTIONALLY).

Obviously it is NOT obvious.
Retard? Bro, you are still looking in the mirror.
See ya afro, again you show nothing...

DeeJayH said:
and yet kids need structure and guidance and values instilled in them
religion is not the exclusive source of this, but it is a good tool
My ex chose not to raise my son religiously
and at times, i do have concerns because of it
but he is in no way a bad person because we did not thump him in the head with a bible every night or every sunday

Religion, in the right hands, can provide a great foundatiohn for a child the same way church can provide a great community. However if one works at it you can provide the moral foundation without the religion. And lack of religion isn't necessarily the same as lack of spirituality. I choose not to indoctrinate my children into a religion. However we do discussions about a variety of religions and they understand that I know more about christianity than I do about other religions though I expose them to as much as they have interest in. I just don't claim to have any "answers" for certain and that doesn't seem to bother them. And for what it's worth while I'm not certain Jesus ever really existed I think I teach my children the core values that he supposedly taught and while I don't promise them heaven or threaten them with hell I am 100% convinced that knowing that we should behave in certain ways because we know right from wrong seems to be working so far.

talloulou said:
Religion, in the right hands, can provide a great foundatiohn for a child the same way church can provide a great community. However if one works at it you can provide the moral foundation without the religion. And lack of religion isn't necessarily the same as lack of spirituality. I choose not to indoctrinate my children into a religion. However we do discussions about a variety of religions and they understand that I know more about christianity than I do about other religions though I expose them to as much as they have interest in. I just don't claim to have any "answers" for certain and that doesn't seem to bother them. And for what it's worth while I'm not certain Jesus ever really existed I think I teach my children the core values that he supposedly taught and while I don't promise them heaven or threaten them with hell I am 100% convinced that knowing that we should behave in certain ways because we know right from wrong seems to be working so far.

i thoguth there was a ton of historical documentation, beyond just teh bible that proved Jesus existed
it was just whether we was a man, a prophet, or the Son of God

DeeJayH said:
i thoguth there was a ton of historical documentation, beyond just teh bible that proved Jesus existed
it was just whether we was a man, a prophet, or the Son of God

If there is I've yet to see it and it's not that I haven't looked. :shock:

talloulou said:
If there is I've yet to see it and it's not that I haven't looked. :shock:

of the top of my head, i believe the crucifixion was documented

DeeJayH said:
of the top of my head, i believe the crucifixion was documented
My understanding is that there are only two or three
independent historical references to Jesus. There is reasonable evidence that
even these few references are either forgeries or simply quotes from Christians.
It is far from convincing.

I'd teach my kids secular humanism personally.

I wouldn't and couldn't teach my kids about religion. Thats their choice in the end.

128shot said:
I'd teach my kids secular humanism personally.

I wouldn't and couldn't teach my kids about religion. Thats their choice in the end.
Seculer Humansim is a religion, according to SCOTUS.

Jerry said:
Seculer Humansim is a religion, according to SCOTUS.

How so? Oh and also the SCOTUS dont decide what is, only what is law.

its kinda hard to force agnosticism on someone...

If my kid joined a cult that I didnt like I would obviously forbid them from participating, other than that though, I'd tell them what i've concluded and then let them come to their own conclusions.

CoffeeSaint said:
Really depends how you define worship, doesn't it?

Worship is putting something at the head of your life. Yourself or another human, even a goal to better that target, is the target of seculart humanism. Even the whole of humanity would count as that religion. I have never seen worship defined as a meeting or song or even a prayer. Worship is a lifestyle.

Lachean said:
How so? Oh and also the SCOTUS dont decide what is, only what is law.
A quick refrence:
... has proved their religious beliefs false. Second, it violates the Establishment Clause. The United States Supreme Court has held that secular humanism is a religion. Id., at E-36 (Sen. Keith) (referring to Torcaso v. Watkins, 367 U.S. 488, 495 , n. 11 (1961)); 1 App. E-418 (Sen. Keith); 2 id., ...
Source

So, by teaching your children Secular Humanism, you are teaching them religion.

Back
Top Bottom