• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you feel safer on an airplane if everyone could bring their guns onboard?

ould you feel safer on an airplane if everyone could bring their guns onboard?

• Total voters

Everyone?

Those who have a carry permit would be more in line with current legal standards.

Given the environment it would be reasonable to require that only low-penetration frangible rounds be allowed in the cabin. Given the crowding, it would be reasonable to require weapons to be carried with an empty chamber.

Of course it has been established that a few bullet holes will not cause explosive decompression, and that disabling a flight-vital component with a few gunshots is also improbable.

It would certainly make it darn near impossible to pull another 9/11....

No maybe about it. I'll take my facts from scientists rather than Hollywood producers. It's like firing bullets into a gas tank to make it explode. Another Hollywood myth.

Maybe, as in I have not researched this subject so I am going to go all iffy on you.

I'd definitely feel safer if neither the passengers nor the crew got alcohol on the plane.

I'm over 6 feet tall. When I get knee capped by the reclining seat in front of me, my opposition to gun ownership at 30,000 feet evaporates. Other than that, guns have no place in airplanes. So my gun policy---allow anyone over 6 feet tall sitting in economy class to carry a suitable firearm. We deserve protection. ;)

I vote other. I totally support the 2nd, in fact I want it better defined and widened. Anyway in general the idea doesn't bother me much but the possibility for abuse and negligence concerns me. Since we are already not allowing everyday citizens to care on jet airliners I'm ok with the restriction. AIr Marshalls, law enforcement etc I'm fine with of course.

I feel the same way about most public places such as airliners, schools, hospitals , courtrooms etc yet like you I support 2nd amendment rights.

On airplanes-no but I want more air marshals. I don't recall you being much of a second amendment supporter unless things have changed in the last couple of years. When there is extensive security-such as courtrooms then the need to carry is diminished

Armed passengers on planes? Bad idea. Very bad idea. Is it even necessary to go into detail on this one?

Would not feel "safer" or less "safe". I would say anyone with a CC license should be able to carry theirs, if the State trusts them to carry in public I see no difference with a plane.

I would feel safer with a pocket knife.

yeah I would like to carry the HK automatic knife I carry most of the time. or a Randall Fighter. People with CCW permits ought to be able to carry knives. IN a plane they are far less dangerous to the plane's integrity but very lethal against hijackers

From what I heard, planes don't take well to having holes shot in them mid flight.

From what I heard, planes don't take well to having holes shot in them mid flight.

its not quite what people who watched GOLDFINGER would expect but that's why I support CCW carriers being able to pack cold steel

yeah I would like to carry the HK automatic knife I carry most of the time. or a Randall Fighter. People with CCW permits ought to be able to carry knives. IN a plane they are far less dangerous to the plane's integrity but very lethal against hijackers

I'd want a Ka-Bar, or maybe one of those Spetsnaz knives where you can launch the blade out.

Why stop there, let's allow everyone to bring grenades and TNT on planes as well... what a question! :roll:

its not quite what people who watched GOLDFINGER would expect but that's why I support CCW carriers being able to pack cold steel

Ricochet risk would be pretty high too I bet.

Hell at least a leatherman. But I suppose those box cutters mean that wont be happening for a very long time.

no. i'm fine with an armed air marshal.

I'd want a Ka-Bar, or maybe one of those Spetsnaz knives where you can launch the blade out.

those are actually banned by federal law-which is like banning butterfly knives-law makers watching too many movies. A Kabar is good, a Randall is much better. The best russian knives are these

Kizlyar Miltary Knives

my son is a serious knife collector and at age 18 knows tons more than many twice his age. He Rates the Kizlyar one of the top ten combat knives around in terms of balance and handling. The Kabar is pretty good and a bit cheaper. I have several brands of "Kabars" including Kabar, Camillus, Case and Ontario, Camillus is pretty much extinct. I rate the Old Camillus and the Case the two best in terms of the grip one gets on the leather washer handle. but they are butt-heavy compared to the Randall or say some of the more modern knives like the Italian FOX which is another great fighter. The stuff barry and Dane Dawson used to make were among my favorites as well-they made me a very low profile sleeve knife that I carried in DC when I was assigned there for a few weeks many years ago

That's a common fear but the truth of the matter is that a bullet hole won't be a serious problem for an aircraft.

Here's a picture of Aloha Flight 243 that had a little fuselage issue at 24,000 feet but still landed safely in Maui.

Aloha.jpg

A simple discharge of a firearm in a jet liner cabin would present no particular threat to the integrity of the plane.

Explosive decompression from a bullet only happens in movies.

It doesn't have to be an explosive decompression. There is an unacceptable risk that it might hit something critical.

That's a common fear but the truth of the matter is that a bullet hole won't be a serious problem for an aircraft.

Here's a picture of Aloha Flight 243 that had a little fuselage issue at 24,000 feet but still landed safely in Maui.

View attachment 67204377

A flight attendant died, and 65 people on board were injured. I wouldn't call that safe.

Back
Top Bottom