• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you dissolve your marriage over the SSM issue?

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Are you so against the idea of SSM becoming socially acceptable that you'd end your marriage so you wouldn't have to share the name "marriage" with a gay couple?

As a form of protest - how far would you go to not have to share the same word?

Or could you just accept it, albeit begrudgingly?

I'm sorry, but I have trouble believing that this is even a serious question. I personally find the idea absurd, at best, that someone would be that disturbed by the idea of gay marriage.

I'm sorry, but I have trouble believing that this is even a serious question. I personally find the idea absurd, at best, that someone would be that disturbed by the idea of gay marriage.

By the way some people talk about it it's not that absurd.

Are you so against the idea of SSM becoming socially acceptable that you'd end your marriage so you wouldn't have to share the name "marriage" with a gay couple?

I wouldn't dissolve my marriage to protest incest, polygamy, or animal "marriage" either!

I wonder if the commie pinkos that scream bloody murder over rich people taking tax deductions refuse to take their own deductions as a form of protest? I wonder how far they would go to show their hatred for rich people. Or would they just claim their deductions, albeit begrudgingly?

Papa Bull....you may want to switch to decaf. What exactly is your issue here? Are going to impose all the other rules of your religion on us too? Or just the ones the protect you from the things you fear because you don't understand them?

Papa Bull....you may want to switch to decaf. What exactly is your issue here? Are going to impose all the other rules of your religion on us too? Or just the ones the protect you from the things you fear because you don't understand them?

It's not about religion. Marriage is a natural union between a man and a woman and was only necessary, in the first place, for the sake of procreation. That's why the Supreme Court Justice called it "fundamental to our existence and survival". there's nothing fundamental to our existence or survival about homosexual unions. Homosexual relationships are an alternative to the norm (heterosexual relationships). As such, they shouldn't be perplexed by the fact that they really need an alternative to marriage. An alternative to marriage for the alternative lifestyle seems like exactly the right thing to set up for them.

Why not? There are couples that refuse to get married until it's legal for everyone.

Okay, let me switch gears here and NOT be rude this time. Because this could be an interesting conversation if you are open to it. We have evolved out of many kinds of thinking because they have proven themselves discriminatory towards the rights of others; Our treatment of woman and blacks for instance. Because all else Americans value their freedom. The freedom to think what they want, to live how they want and yes... to love who they want. I am certain your lifestyle choices are different then mine, but I would never consider forcing you to confirm to mine. You are free to live as you choose and love whom you chose without me or anyone else infringing on that right. I believe that protecting the freedoms of ALL Americans is more important than protecting the choices of a few.

Think about it, there are different lifestyle choices within heterosexual marriages too. If I decide to marry and not have children will I be defined differently? Will I lose my rights? Is my marriage then considered "alternative"? Why not just call them all unions and give everyone who chooses one person to share their life with the same rights? Is that an option?

Lastly, how do their choices affect YOUR life?

I wonder if the commie pinkos that scream bloody murder over rich people taking tax deductions refuse to take their own deductions as a form of protest? I wonder how far they would go to show their hatred for rich people. Or would they just claim their deductions, albeit begrudgingly?

I have a conservative grandfather who will not take medicare because he thinks it is stealing from the system. It is OK, he is stupid and will die soon because of it.

As some one with libertarian leanings if be fine with no legal marriage .

Why not? There are couples that refuse to get married until it's legal for everyone.

To me, there's a significant difference between someone who is planning to get married (and abstaining based on principle), and someone who is already married, and would consider dissolving that marriage relationship, based on opposition to a change in the legal status of gay marriage. To me, it's more about the relationship than the paper or legal status.

Could you point to the commie who objects to the marriage deduction?

It seems like way too much of a stretch to try and bring some 'rich envy' crap into this... :roll:

I think what many in the MIDDLE CLASS object to is the special rules written for the money changers so they can call their wages capital gains and the like. I have zero problem with Trump getting a tax deduction for his primary house, for medical expenses his family has, filing married and joint...

I have a conservative grandfather who will not take medicare because he thinks it is stealing from the system. It is OK, he is stupid and will die soon because of it.

And this pertains how?

If I had any doubts about the quality of your character, this statement certainly put them to rest. :doh

If I had any doubts about the quality of your character, this statement certainly put them to rest. :doh

If I had any real care about your opinion of my character I might actually be concerned with this irrelevance.

Some people will go to extremes over their views, and cut their own noses off to spite their faces.

So calling your grandfather stupid is an acceptable way to display your displeasure with his beliefs.

Not planning on inheriting from him, I hope.

If I had any real care about your opinion of my character I might actually be concerned with this irrelevance.

You would have to be able to define character, and perhaps possess some small shred of it, to understand why what you said was so wrong.

So nevermind...

To me, there's a significant difference between someone who is planning to get married (and abstaining based on principle), and someone who is already married, and would consider dissolving that marriage relationship, based on opposition to a change in the legal status of gay marriage. To me, it's more about the relationship than the paper or legal status.

Well I agree with you about the paper, I wish they would just abolish all public benefits of marriage, repeal all marriage related laws, and just let people do whatever the hell they want to do with whomever they want and call it a marriage be that jump a broom, split a big tub of popcorn, or lick the soles of each others' feet.

I really don't understand how you could even ask this question, unless you know someone who has said they would do such a thing... or unless you're just trying to be extreme.

Could you point to the commie who objects to the marriage deduction?..

I'll do that the moment I see you point to the person who said they'd dissolve their marriage if homosexuals were allowed to marry.

You would have to be able to define character, and perhaps possess some small shred of it, to understand why what you said was so wrong.

So nevermind...

Oddly this leads back to the topic. Why do people think that their opionion is so important that others would care about their actions? For instance those who would consider ending their own marriage to protest over gays being married. Most people would never be bothered with this as they know a gay couple simply doesn't care. There is this idea among the anti-gay community that gay people actually care about the marriages of christians. It is portrayed as some evil plot to destroy the sanctity of marriage. It is taken out of the realm of two people falling in love and wanting the federal benefits and recognition of it to some personal vendetta against marriage itself. It is amazing how some people assume that they are so important that strangers they will never know are so concerned with their marriage that they would get married themselves just to screw over their marriage. Some people are so hell bent on that idea that they let it consume them in hate because someone else they do not even know is getting married just to spite them, and that they should just give up on it entirely.

How self important does a person have to be to think that others care this much about their opinions that strangers would alter their actions just because they happen to be unhappy with something? perhaps it is because they are so consumed with others that they would be so spiteful as to do something so selfish as to try to interfere with someone else's happiness who they do not know and never will. I have seen people like that, and there is evidence those sorts of people exist which is why I am positive there are those out there who would divorce just to protest and spite gay marriages which will never effect them.

Back
Top Bottom