• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you consider voting for Dr. Ben Carson for president in 2016?

Would you vote for Dr Ben Carson for president in 2016?

• Total voters

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Would you vote for him for president....Why or why not?

No because he's an insanely radical right wing bigoted asshole.

I voted no.

The sum total of the man's political experience is having given one radically controversial speech at a prayer breakfast.

I agree with some of the "proposals" he made and I disagree with some others, but all he really presented were broad and bold ideas. I haven't heard any follow up from him on how he proposes such radical changes would actually be implimented.

In all honesty, I can give a speech as good or better than Dr. Carson's.

It wouldn't qualify me to be president by any means.

I voted no.

The sum total of the man's political experience is having given one radically controversial speech at a prayer breakfast.

I agree with some of the "proposals" he made and I disagree with some others, but all he really presented were broad and bold ideas. I haven't heard any follow up from him on how he proposes such radical changes would actually be implimented.

In all honesty, I can give a speech as good or better than Dr. Carson's.

It wouldn't qualify me to be president by any means.

I wonder if you have read his position on the issues.

I'd consider him I suppose, but I'd prefer someone with more political experience, more foreign policy experience, and less socially conservative.

I don't know enough about him other than the Prayer Breakfast thing.

I'd consider him I suppose, but I'd prefer someone with more political experience, more foreign policy experience, and less socially conservative.

Oh except for the Conservative part someone like Obama?:confused:

In the case of a not well known figure like this one, it might help to list what he stands for. Without knowing that it is impossible to say.

Ummm, doesn't he have prostate cancer?

In the case of a not well known figure like this one, it might help to list what he stands for. Without knowing that it is impossible to say.

I wonder do you ever check out the positions of politicians that are running for office without asking someone to do it for you?

I wonder do you ever check out the positions of politicians that are running for office without asking someone to do it for you?

Is he running for office? Maybe you could then link to his campaign site.

Before any run for POTUS I'd want to see him serve in an executive capacity at the state level. Preferrably a governorship.

I would consider it, but I would need to know a lot more detail about his positions. My concerns primarily are as follows: 1) while he sounds good on some things, I have no idea where he would stand on most things; 2) His lack of political experience could be a huge detriment--In my opinion George H.W. Bush was the last truly qualified POTUS we have had; and 3) Almost every doctor I have encountered goes off into crazy land if you talk to them about politics long enough and try to press them for their rationale.

I fear he is a one-trick pony.

Ben Carson was my commencement speaker and I do find him to be quite an impressive man. As someone interested in pursuing a career in neurosurgery, I have a great deal of respect for the work Carson has done. He is open, honest and candid, and I think it would be great if he could put those traits to use in a career as a politician. However, I honestly cannot see myself supporting Carson as a politician because his positions on social issues are far too conservative for my taste. For being such an accomplished physician, I find that he has an appalling lack of compassion for people.

Name sounds familiar. Other than that, nada...

I wonder if you have read his position on the issues.

ALL of them?

Probably not.

I've looked a couple times, every time the idea of him running for president gets dragged up by would-be supporters or every time he gets air time for being "radical", and I have yet to find a Carson For President website that neatly lists his position on an array of issues.

Most of what I know of him comes from "The Speech" or from television appearances, or from the analysis/editorialization that follow either.

I've read that he likens a marriage between two consenting adults of the same sex to bestiality or pedophilia:

Dr. Ben Carson said:
"It’s a well-established, fundamental pillar of society, and no group, be they gays, be they NAMBLA, be they people who believe in bestiality -- it doesn’t matter what they are -- they don’t get to change the definition."

Which makes me figure that the guy is a lunatic assclown.

Now, maybe I'd be somewhat cool with that if he also came out in opposition to interracial marriage because, you know, the proscription of interracial marriage was a big part of that "fundamental pillar of society" definition of marriage in this country for a long time.

We'll see. Maybe he'll surprise me.

I'll still probably think he's an assbag, but at least I'll consider him a fair assbag.

Anyhow, suffice it to say, and as I've already said, I agree with some of what I hear from him, I disagree with other of what I hear from him, and I think he's really good at painting BIG PICTURES without explaining how we get from where we are today to where he seems to think we should be going.

Now, in his defense, I have yet to hear that he's created an exploratory committe, or is putting together a campaign apparatus, or has expressed an interest in running for president.

In light of that, I can't really expect him to lay out his grand plan.

Maybe he will, maybe he won't.

But to say that I'd vote for the guy based on his proposal of a couple of pie-in-the-sky ideas?

No, I can't do that.

If he announces, and if he runs, and if he starts explaining his ideas, and if he abandons some of the idiot bigotry, and if he gets up on a stage and debates other candidates, and if I find that in the end I like him more than I like the other guy?

Yeah, I could possibly see myself maybe voting for him at some point in the distant future after he's been weighed and measured.

In all likelihood I'll vote third-party again but I really don't finalize these decisions two and a half years out without even knowing whose actually running.

Last edited:
Hey look NP, I am doing your work for you: Ben Carson on the Issues

Guy is all over the place. He is not a small government conservative, he is not a social conservative, he is not a liberal in either place, but his positions tend to be extreme where he has them. He supports gun control, so he will not get a republican nominee. He is opposed to deportation of illegal immigrants, but supports government covering catastrophic medical costs. He would have no chance as a conservative. Supports a flat tax which would kill his support with liberals.

And then there is bat**** insane stuff...

After the 9/11 crisis, if the president had seized the moment and declared that we would become petroleum independent within the next 10 years, business, industry, academia, and everyone else would have been foursquare behind him, and we would have been much further ahead in the fight against terrorism than we are today.
  1. The moderate Arab states would have been terrified about losing their economic base and would most probably have turned over Osama bin Laden.
  2. An enormous number of jobs would likely have been created in the process of switching over to a new energy source, and Wall Street would have been booming.
  3. The environmentalists would have been ecstatic.
  4. Most importantly, the terrorists would have been deprived of much-needed funding, which would have gradually strangled their efforts.
Oil prices would have fallen dramatically in an attempt to soften our resolve, but good leadership would hopefully have recognized and compensated for such a ploy.

Back
Top Bottom