• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you become death, the destroyer of worlds?

Would you become death, the destroyer of worlds?

• Yes, it will eventually be discovered - any maybe by an adversary

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Multiple choice - public poll.

An ethics question, borrowing a quote from Oppenheimer.

Ethics question:
As a fluke, you stumble across a potential new weapon of unthinkable destructive power capable of wiping out entire cities and even countries without the radiation and other environmental bite-back of nuclear weapons - making it more usable than nuclear weapons - nor would any country dare attack us. But on the other hand, maybe it would make warfare truly obsolete as no one can possibly win because it only a matter of time before other countries will have it too.

Do you proceed? Or do you destroy all your notes and records, saying nothing leaving it undiscovered?

Last edited:

Ethics question:
As a fluke, you stumble across a potential new weapon of unthinkable destructive power capable of wiping out entire cities and even countries without the radiation and other environmental bite-back of nuclear weapons - making it more usable than nuclear weapons - nor would any country dare attack us. But on the other hand, maybe it would make warfare truly obsolete as no one can possibly win because it only a matter of time before other countries will have it too.

Do you proceed? Or do you destroy all your notes and records, saying nothing leaving it undiscovered?

I would develop it. If my scientists were capable of developing it then there’s no reason someone else’s can’t.

Ethics question:

Not to derail your thread, but as an aside- Isaac Asimov wrote a book on extra-terrestrial intelligence in which he pretty much proved that there had to be other intelligent life out there. The last chapter explored reasons why we haven't had any contact with them yet and one possibility he posited was that intelligent life everywhere follows the same pattern, they evolve to the point of developing nuclear weapons and shortly after they destroy themselves.

Ethics question:

Not to derail your thread, but as an aside- Isaac Asimov wrote a book on extra-terrestrial intelligence in which he pretty much proved that there had to be other intelligent life out there. The last chapter explored reasons why we haven't had any contact with them yet and one possibility he posited was that intelligent life everywhere follows the same pattern, they evolve to the point of developing nuclear weapons and shortly after they destroy themselves.

Ethics question:

Joko104:

If I was smart enough to develop this new weapon, then I will assume I would be smart enough to figure out how to get its specifications to all the other countries on the Earth. MAD must be preserved even if I rot in a prison cell for the rest of my life. Share it so no one can/will use it (hopefully).

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Ethics question:

How much money could I get for it?

Ethics question:

I am already a destroyer of worlds.

I would develop the new technology. That would go one of two tracks.

Track one were the technology is iterative of existing technology, I develop it in semi secret similar to stealth programs and build and deploy as required and needed eventually to publicized.

Track two the technology is such, it is completely new, there is little if any speculation or prior research into its primary fundamentals. That goes ultra deep black compartmentalized secret program that is off books. The research is maintained into the new fundamentals and their exploitation. The resulting weapons systems would be kept back pocket in limited numbers until need arises. The main purpose would be fundamental R&D for eventual exploitation of offshoot technologies. At the point the research is such that it is mature and there uses that are not eminent dangers inherent in wide spread use of the derivative technologies, at that point begin widespread adoption and utilization and disrupt the corresponding competitive markets.

Back
Top Bottom