• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you be willing to dramatically boost U.S. oil and gas production to help the world stop importing from Russia?

Should the U.S. boost domestic energy production to replace what we wish to no longer come from Russ

• Leans Left - No

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Leans Left - Yes

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Middle Leaner - No

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Middle Leaner - Yes

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Leans Right - No

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Leans Right - Yes

Votes: 11 26.8%

• Total voters
Give me a phone number and a name and I will call them.
Lucas Oil Products 800-342-2512
Marathon Oil 713-629-6600
Motiva Enterprises 713-227-8000
Valera Energy 325-365-3811

Tip of the iceberg
We await your report on your efforts

Ever notice that when the price per barrel goes down the inventory at the station has to be sold before the price at the pump goes down but the price at the pump goes up immediately when the per barrel at the wellhead goes up?
Damn straight I do.
Increases to the existing inventory screws consumers

Give me a phone number and a name and I will call them.
Grand Mal,
You can stop looking for a phone number for me to call and ask why refiners are still buying Russian crude oil.
I found the answer in a Wall St Journal article.

Why Does the U.S. Buy Russian Oil?​

Despite being the top global producer, the U.S. turns to Russian crude to service more-isolated coastal markets and keep refineries running at optimal levels​

If the U.S. exports millions of barrels a day from the Gulf Coast, why does it import Russia oil?​

The Jones Act, passed a century ago, has effectively limited the size of vessels that are allowed to transport goods between U.S. ports. That has left oil buyers on the West Coast and East Coast effectively unable to get supplies shipped out of the Gulf Coast.
The Gulf Coast, where oil companies shipped out about 3 million barrels a day in December, is connected by pipelines to the Permian Basin of West Texas and New Mexico and Cushing, Okla., the nation’s oil storage hub.
It isn’t profitable for companies to ship oil from that region to the U.S. East and West Coasts by such small ships, so refiners along those coasts, lacking pipeline connections from the Permian and Cushing, mostly import it from overseas.

Why do U.S. refineries need different varieties of crude?​

The U.S. buys Russian oil in part to feed refineries that need different grades of crude with a higher sulfur content to make fuel at top capacities. U.S. refineries were designed decades ago to use heavier grades of crude, often with higher levels of sulfur, when domestic supplies were lower.
In recent years, Russian crude has filled some of the gap around the world left behind by sanctions on Venezuela and Iran, which crippled the flow of that type and similar types of oil from those two countries to refiners in the Gulf Coast and elsewhere, Mr. Lipow said.

There's a lot more to that story if you can get to the rest of the article.

CO2 is not a pollutant. Period.

"Runaway Global Warming" is not happening. Period.

Climate changes all the time. We've been warming since the 1880's, and most of the warming occurred before the larger increases in CO2 occurred - which of course contradicts the theory.

Those facts don't stop the radical left from using the bogus issue as an excuse to over regulate and micromanage citizen activity.

It is about power and control.

Of course oil production and natural gas production should be going gangbusters. We need more coal fired power plants, and nuclear power plants as well.

Get a clue people!!! Scarcity is a necessary component of government control - stop giving these monsters power over your lives.

Get educated on these subjects!!
Wrong
The driving factor is always revenue, specifically profits

Lucas Oil Products 800-342-2512
Marathon Oil 713-629-6600
Motiva Enterprises 713-227-8000
Valera Energy 325-365-3811

Tip of the iceberg
We await your report on your efforts
See below.
I did my own research. But thanks for the numbers.
The answer is pretty straight forward in the WSJ article.

See below.
I did my own research. But thanks for the numbers.
The answer is pretty straight forward in the WSJ article.
Yup, I figured your post was bullshit, as usual

This is a follow-up to @Cardinal 's other thread about whether or not we should be willing to accept higher prices in order to cut off Russia.
I am not certain what "boast production" actually means. As the price of oil rises, this will happen automatically as marginal wells suddenly become profitable wells. I live in an oil producing state. Though I have not driven into the oil basin in the last couple of months, the last time I did I was surprised by the number of wells that were not pumping, which would happen when extraction costs exceeded the price per barrel.

If you are talking about some type of government edict that "thou shall produce", I don't see how that is necessary, as I think the market will fix the problem (with oil or alternatives). As the price of oil climbs too high, alternatives become more attractive, and the oil producers, which operate some times like drug pushers, increase production and drop the price to subvert the interest in alternatives.

If you are talking about relaxing EPA standards, that would depend on what standard was relaxed, so that would case by case. If you are talking about exploiting wildlife areas: hell no.

No. I'm not willing to destroy the environment for cheap gasoline.

I will pay European prices for gasoline, thats what the US should be doing anyway. The move is to renewables, not to increased production of fossil fuels IMO.
Heavily subsidize EVs, they would work fine for most Americans work commute.
And figure out how to mine all the lithium in California in an environmentally reasonable way. Then build the infrastructure to refine it and make batteries from it and drastically reduce the footprint of the electric vehicle. Oh, and build recycling into the above.

Why would we need to increase production to cut off Russian oil? What does "increase production" mean?
Declaring the eco lobby a threat to National security, disenfranchising them, and increasing oil production

No. I'm not willing to destroy the environment for cheap gasoline.

I will pay European prices for gasoline, thats what the US should be doing anyway. The move is to renewables, not to increased production of fossil fuels IMO.
Heavily subsidize EVs, they would work fine for most Americans work commute.
Peaceful Warrior, Shouting in the face of practical reality.
What about those people who depend on gasoline to get to and from work?
Those commuters who have to pay higher and higher gasoline prices while inflation eats away at any wage increases? Do you care about them?
Do you care that we have great natural resources that can help European countries by having them buy OUR natural gas instead of depending on predator Russia's gas? Do you care about them in this time of global crisis?

Your assumption that we would be destroying our environment because we choose to punish Russia and help Europeans is specious at best.
We might be on the brink of an existential crisis and need all of the fossil fuels we can produce. You are aware, of course, that ALL OF THE WORLD'S INDUSTRIES depend on the availability of fossil fuels to drive all economies (except Tonga). You think you are taking the long view and protecting the planet. How noble and short-sighted your view.
I am taking the near-term view and considering that fossil fuels are the life blood of our civilization and Vlad, the Conqueror, is upsetting the world order and using fossil fuels as a weapon against us. We should use our fossil fuels as a weapon against him. Do you understand that?

If its to replace what we been getting from Russia and its allies then sure. If its to export oil to other countries then no. I don't give a rats ass if the rest of the world buys oil from Russia. Last I checked oil isn't some never ending resource, so we shouldn't be trying to pump it out as fast as we can.
Check again. We have vast fossil fuel resources and we can help Europe by selling them natural gas.

Domestic production will rise to 12.6 million barrels daily in 2023, or 600,000 more barrels than in 2022, the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) forecast this week. That would surpass the previous record production of 12.2 million barrels in 2019.

The increase in 2023 shows a recovery in oil pumping from the massive decline early on during the COVID-19 pandemic, when oil prices dropped below $19. Crude oil is currently at around $91 a barrel.

The EIA attributed much of the expected gains to new wells in the Permian Basin, in West Texas and Southeast New Mexico. The agency said that there were about 220 oil rigs added in the lower 48 states, and 114 of those were in the Permian region.

Declaring the eco lobby a threat to National security, disenfranchising them, and increasing oil production

In other words, let oil and gas companies shit all over federal land and leave it to the taxpayers to clean up... In many cases, the only difference between the welfare queens conservatives cry about and the oil and gas industry is the suit and tie...

In other words, let oil and gas companies shit all over federal land and leave it to the taxpayers to clean up... In many cases, the only difference between the welfare queens conservatives cry about and the oil and gas industry is the suit and tie...
I dunno, If we have to raise taxes 3% but gas is under 3 a gallon that’s a trade I’m willing to make.

You seem to operate under the idea that there is no benefit to Americans to far cheaper energy that can come outweigh marginal environmental cost.

I dunno, If we have to raise taxes 3% but gas is under 3 a gallon that’s a trade I’m willing to make.

You seem to operate under the idea that there is no benefit to Americans to far cheaper energy that can come outweigh marginal environmental cost.

We can make gas under $2.50 a gallon very easily... Invoke the DPA and price controls... Simple enough... You seem to operate under the delusion that taxpayers are obligated to pick up the tab for the oil and gas industry...

We can make gas under $2.50 a gallon very easily... Invoke the DPA and price controls... Simple enough... You seem to operate under the delusion that taxpayers are obligated to pick up the tab for the oil and gas industry...
I’d rather they pick up the tab for the oil industry then the war industry

Gas in America is too cheap compared to it's actual cost. Tax benefits and subsidies to oil companies, allowing oil companies to shove the negative cost impacts of their product (both environmental and health) onto the public's back are just a couple of reasons gas is too cheap in America.

Well, I don't really give a rat's ass about helping the world stop importing oil from Russia. They make their choices and suffer the consequences.

But I DO think the US should boost oil and gas production to get the US off the Russian oil tit...where the Biden pukes have put us.

If there are supplies left over and if other countries want to get off the Russian oil tit, then sure...we can help them out, too.
Biden did NOT put us there ; we've been buying Russian oil for decades. We also sell oil to other countries that we don't have refineries to handle.

To become energy independent, use less oil AND invest in the refineries to use what we drill. The huge rise in gas prices is going to cut demand. More wind power, hydroelectric, etc., will also cut demand. Build some of those safer nuclear power plants, if we need to. A country like ours shouldn't be over a barrel because of oil.

Many say how much “perfect sense” it makes to have (lots of new?) public investment in “alternatives”, yet never explains why they don‘t personally (privately?) invest in them.
Private investment in large scale renewables is accelerating around the world now as costs are falling below those of hydrocarbon based generation. The US will likely lag behind many countries because it has less taxes on carbon fuels and that pushes the tipping point for renewables further out. That leaves the public sector with most of the incentive to invest in renewables because they think on longer timescales, as well as already carrying much of the costs for cleaning up the results of excess carbon burning. If carbon fuels in the US were priced to clean up after themselves like many countries aim for, renewables would be springing up everywhere.

What about those people who depend on gasoline to get to and from work?
Those commuters who have to pay higher and higher gasoline prices while inflation eats away at any wage increases? Do you care about them?

Sure. They'll have to carpool if they cant afford gasoline. Take a bus. Live closer to their job.

Do you care that we have great natural resources that can help European countries by having them buy OUR natural gas instead of depending on predator Russia's gas? Do you care about them in this time of global crisis?

Yeah, but thats not what you're asking.
You are asking if I am willing to sacrifice my own nations environment to produce more fossil fuels. The answer is NO.

Dont know what to tell ya fella. You'll have to make do with the fossil fuels you are already producing. So will Europe. Let this be a lesson to all of us going forward: get off fossil fuels as quickly as possible.

Sure. They'll have to carpool if they cant afford gasoline. Take a bus. Live closer to their job.

Yeah, but thats not what you're asking.
You are asking if I am willing to sacrifice my own nations environment to produce more fossil fuels. The answer is NO.

Dont know what to tell ya fella. You'll have to make do with the fossil fuels you are already producing. So will Europe. Let this be a lesson to all of us going forward: get off fossil fuels as quickly as possible.
I know what to tell ya fella. Don't argue with history.
Hundreds of millions of poor people have been pulled out of poverty because of industrialization based on use of efficient fossil fuels.
You're of the opinion we can't adapt to climate change and you think we can actually change the climate of the world.

Back
Top Bottom