• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you be president

A developed society comprehends that Right and Wrong over-ride concensus every time. I have never and will never agree that there is or ever has been a Right to think or act in an immoral manner. Leadership is the ability to demand that people act properly, whether they want to or not, and make them do it.
This being a product of consensus. That which we call authority. Norms are cultural and historical.

The society I would have is defined by a caste system for those who can, will, and do what they're supposed to compared to those who will not; as it should be. This whole idea that we have Rights and Privileges without the corresponding Duties and Responsibilities is insane so far as I'm concerned.
But then these too are defined beyond the individual.

Opportunity IS a given, though not always at the same level across the board. Those who truly want to make something of themselves, will do so. Those who choose not to do not deserve to eat at the societal table that the rest of us partake of. Reality is that we live in s social pig's wallow here in the United States and Western Society in general.
Were effort alone sufficient, we'd all be billionaires. Millions work hard their entire lives while remaining poor. To say nothing of the Third World. You're suggesting that a child of billionaires enjoys the same level of opportunity as a child born to the unemployed. We both know this is nonsense.

Yeah, it was mildly amusing the first time. Now it's just silly.

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall. We use words like 'honor', 'code', 'loyaltyl. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

"A Few Good Men" movie quote ftw.

"A Few Good Men" movie quote ftw.
It pwns, and then just when you think it's done pwning, it goes and pwns some more.

Nice Custom User Title, btw. I never would have guessed. :lol:

Oh my, you got me there. How clever. :roll:
It's not necessary to exert myself, Arbo. Greta Garbo in an arboretum.

I agree with the premise of much of your solutions but see some glaring holes.

The government could never keep up with entitlement payments to Social Security, Medicare and other gov expenditures on the lack of revenue your tax plan would create. Businesses would continue to show low profits by funneling the proceeds out of country. You need to make any corporation that profits off the American people pay for that privilege without using their leverage to avoid it. Corporations are sitting on $38 trillion in offshore accounts. The idea that they don't make enough profit for more American people to be successful is a big fat lie.

No income tax on $100K or less but 2% FED tax on all purchases.
A 10% flat tax on income of $100K - $5mil
A 30% flat tax on anything above $5mil

Welfare reform is a good idea.
Single payer is not going to control medical costs. Unfortunately we'd need something like a combination of gov provided medical with private pay. Humana type of medical insurance where the gov pays most of the cost but is run by companies that are more efficient at controlling medical costs.
I'd like to see a lot of fraud and waste cut out of gov, especially big defense contracts.
I like term limits.

We're not far off on concepts but it's too much for even a two term President to accomplish.

I think you may underestimate the revenue of my tax plan(It could be me overestimating also :)). It is designed to make up any lost revenue from the elimination of the corporate and payroll taxes through 1/ the fruits that will come from much higher economic growth in my plan. Greater GNP growth means bigger taxable pie, and the double whammy of millions who take from government in unemployment and food stamps now paying taxes, and 2/ higher taxes on the approximate 49% of the population that pay no federal income taxes and higher taxes on the people who make over a million. I would like to see my tax code tested at say 6% annual GNP growth rate over ten years compared to the current tax code at 2%, and see which generates more revenue in that time span. As far as offshore accounts, with 0% corporate rate, no payroll taxes, no health insurance costs the U.S. will be the most attractive place to do business when you add political stability, rule of law, infrastructure, natural resources, productivity of workforce, market. Will high income owners/shareholders try and shelter the 30% tax on dividends? Any loopholes to do this would need to be closed.

Last edited:
Moderator's Warning:
Arbo and NoC_T. Both of you stop.

I think you may underestimate the revenue of my tax plan(It could be me overestimating also :)). It is designed to make up any lost revenue from the elimination of the corporate and payroll taxes through 1/ the fruits that will come from much higher economic growth in my plan. Greater GNP growth means bigger taxable pie, and the double whammy of millions who take from government in unemployment and food stamps now paying taxes, and 2/ higher taxes on the approximate 49% of the population that pay no federal income taxes and higher taxes on the people who make over a million. I would like to see my tax code tested at say 6% annual GNP growth rate over ten years compared to the current tax code at 2%, and see which generates more revenue in that time span. As far as offshore accounts, with 0% corporate rate, no payroll taxes, no health insurance costs the U.S. will be the most attractive place to do business when you add political stability, rule of law, infrastructure, natural resources, productivity of workforce, market. Will high income owners/shareholders try and shelter the 30% tax on dividends? Any loopholes to do this would need to be closed.

There's no way to know which of our plans would work if at all. They would have to be implemented and though I understand your increased revenue base from improved economic conditions, I don't believe it's that much better than my plan, nor would mine run off the wealthy.

Back
Top Bottom