• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you attend this event?

Would you attend what would be a fun event if there was a "no cell phone" policy?

• Total voters

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
You have been invited to an event. People you like will be hosting and attending. The event is something you like to do. You have time available, and it is convenient. Everything looks fun and good, but something pops out at you on the invitation... all cell phones, tablets, etc., will be locked in a bedroom* for the duration of your visit, to be returned upon your departure. The intent is to get people to interact with each other for a few hours, not with others around the world via their phones.

Would you attend what would be a fun event if there was a "no cell phone" policy?

*- Exceptions made for people on legitimate "on call" work status.

You have been invited to an event. People you like will be hosting and attending. The event is something you like to do. You have time available, and it is convenient. Everything looks fun and good, but something pops out at you on the invitation... all cell phones, tablets, etc., will be locked in a bedroom* for the duration of your visit, to be returned upon your departure. The intent is to get people to interact with each other for a few hours, not with others around the world via their phones.

It depends, if I'm there with my family then yes for sure. If I'm not and my daughter was with a babysitter then no. I'm not one to be on my phone at all, especially at a party, but I want to be reached in an emergency.

No. One of the great things about cell phones is that is people really need to reach me, they can. Further, if there are people I want to interact with, I will be interacting with them(we need a DP party). If there is no one there who I want to interact with, I will probably leave.

Absolutely. I can leave my cell phone for a duration of time and not get stressed thinking about what I might be missing.

I try not to spend much time on my cellphone at parties anyways, so it wouldn't particularly bother me. Personally I'd rather see it be grown up rules where everyone can keep their phone but just takes note that they shouldn't have their face plastered to it all night.

No. One of the great things about cell phones is that is people really need to reach me, they can. Further, if there are people I want to interact with, I will be interacting with them(we need a DP party). If there is no one there who I want to interact with, I will probably leave.

If you check Craigslist I bet there's no small number of them in your area. ;)

Last edited:

I would. I'd love it.

Somehow the world managed to get by for millions of years without cell phones. Today you can't even get up a poker game without stopping every few minutes for someone to take an it might be important call or worse, text.

American Woman's probably got the most logical answer. I don't have kids. So unless I were waiting for a very important call, I'd be fine shutting off my cellphone. I wouldn't lock it up in the bedroom. I find that annoying.

It depends, if I'm there with my family then yes for sure. If I'm not and my daughter was with a babysitter then no. I'm not one to be on my phone at all, especially at a party, but I want to be reached in an emergency.

Back in the day (cellphones are fairly new, after all) one would simply leave their destination's phone number as where/who to call in case of an emergency.

Back in the day (cellphones are fairly new, after all) one would simply leave their destination's phone number as where/who to call in case of an emergency.

Sorry, this isn't the dinosaur age anymore. :mrgreen:

Also that would assume the host has a house phone, unlikely, and they are not abiding by their own no cell phone rule.

American Woman's probably got the most logical answer. I don't have kids. So unless I were waiting for a very important call, I'd be fine shutting off my cellphone. I wouldn't lock it up in the bedroom. I find that annoying.

Leave it in car. Leave it at home.

I think there's a game some people play in bars/restaurants.

Everybody puts their phone in the middle of the table. First person to touch/grab/answer their phone pays the tab.
I love that game.

I would love to attend such an event. Then again, I am not a big fan of cellphones and don't usually carry one around with me anyway.

I consider them tethers, no better than reins for horses tying us to a system of instant communication and gratification (with attendant advertising and location tracking). One we have become so dependent on that the last two generations don't seem to be able to function in society without them.

Also that would assume the host has a house phone, unlikely, and they are not abiding by their own no cell phone rule.
Going on the presumption that the host would have more self-discipline because it was/is their idea, they could leave their cell phone on a nearby table in case of emergency. All attendees would have that number to give to babysitters, etc.

Leave it in car. Leave it at home.

I think there's a game some people play in bars/restaurants.

Everybody puts their phone in the middle of the table. First person to touch/grab/answer their phone pays the tab.
I love that game.

I was going to mention that. I have heard of it, too, but have never seen it.

Sorry, this isn't the dinosaur age anymore.
:mrgreen:

I'm a dinosaur, so I take exception to that. Besides, having a cell phone with a hand crank on the side for power isn't all that uncool. Keeps the conversations short and to the point. And beyond that, all those appetizers everybody downloads are part of the reason this country has a weight problem. Who in the hell wants to turn a hand crank long enough to get one, anyway?

Believe it or not, people used to do that on a regular basis long after the dinosaur threat had vanished. ;)

Going on the presumption that the host would have more self-discipline because it was/is their idea, they could leave their cell phone on a nearby table in case of emergency. All attendees would have that number to give to babysitters, etc.

Good point but I would still prefer to have mine in my pocket. Out of sight and not in use but still there.

I don't know if I'd go. If I did, I think I'd resent being treated like a child by the event planners and I'd probably say something - repeatedly.

I do quite often. Many meetings or conferences are "no cell phone" events.

absolutely

in fact i have been to a few of these....

with one stipulation....emergency calls do go to the house

it is nice to unplug from the world of 24/7 every once in a while, share a bottle of wine, and just talk to people about all kinds of stuff

I would love to attend such an event. Then again, I am not a big fan of cellphones and don't usually carry one around with me anyway.

I consider them tethers, no better than reins for horses tying us to a system of instant communication and gratification (with attendant advertising and location tracking). One we have become so dependent on that the last two generations don't seem to be able to function in society without them.

Not me. I'm a fan of the smart phone and see it as a giant positive.

Not me. I'm a fan of the smart phone and see it as a giant positive.

NOT when the idea is for people to actually be SOCIAL with EACH OTHER.

So many adults need to be "treated like a child" because they can't just be in the moment for even an hour without checking their phone, looking something up on internet, emailing, or worst of all - having a conversation loudly.

You don't NEED your cell phone/smart phone for every single stinking minute you're alive.

A fun, party situation with close family and friends as described in the OP should be easy for everyone to do for an hour or three without a stupid stinking phone.

Hell, I'd gladly sign up for a whole weekend of no TV, no internet, no phone, no computer, no cable, no radio.....

Not only would I attend, but I'd even be the one sending the invite...

cellphone_party940.jpg

Looks like so much fun doesn't it?

A scene that's becoming more and more accurate with each day moving forward.

e5b18fe5b995e5bfabe785a7-2014-04-20-e4b88ae58d882-37-511.png

Back
Top Bottom