• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Would you allow your children to be taught by a transgender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jallman said:
I dont care if s/he is the janitor they see in the hall from time to time. The fact remains that this individual underwent an extreme reformation with implications that are both fascinating and confusing at the same time. I dont think it is right nor is it healthy to subject elementary school children to that kind of confusion. There is no way to delicately approach the topic of gender identity issues in a way that children understand. And as far as the kids not even knowing...thats utter bullshit...the whole damned nation knows as evidenced by the article and this thread. Come on aps, I am as tolerant and open-minded as anyone on this forum, but this is an extreme circumstance and the value of the children's education over shadows the political correctness of letting a post op trannie into an elementary school classroom. :roll:

If parents don't make a big deal out if, their kids won't either. I remember when my cousin's daughter was exposed to a friend who had 2 mommies. Her mom (my cousin) did not make a big deal out if it when her daughter asked about it. Guess what? It had NO impact on her whatsoever. So parents have to discuss a unique issue with their children--big deal. It's situations like this that are great learning experiences. I just have a hard time thinking that if the teacher substituted for a day here and a day there that the children would recognize the teacher, although that's not the point. I just don't think this would have much of an impact, if any, on the children or their psyche.

I might be more sympathetic if you were talking about a permanent teacher who changed sexes in the middle of the school year (versus it happening in the summer and the person comes back to a WHOLE NEW classroom of children) so that the children in that same class went from calling him Mr. Smith in September 2005 to calling him Ms. Smith in January 2006.

I disagree that this is an "extreme circumstance" that has much of an impact on education. How so? As long as the person isn't a danger to children, what's the problem?

You are correct. It is a fact of life that some individuals are born with gender identity crisis and that they have a right to form themselves into the person they feel that they are inside. No one is arguing that point. I am sure the person can continue to do their job well after the procedure and some re-adjustment counseling. However, being an elementary school teacher is not one of those instances. I for one would jerk my kid right out of that school and take on an extra job to put them in a good Catholic school if I were in such a position. It is the parent's right to pick a time of their choosing to explain such heavy issues to their children. I believe the school board needs to listen to these parents and a good ole healthy dose of common sense in dealing with this issue.

And you could certainly jerk your kid out of school. That is your prerogative.

"Daddy, why am I now going to private school?"
"Because one of the substitute teachers underwent a sex change (something I will let you learn about when you are in your 20's), and I couldn't bear to expose you to that. You would be permanently scarred, my child."
:roll:

aps said:
Fantastic post, ngdawg! :clap:

Phoenix, I am just glad that you're not one of my parents. I'd probably be a bigot if you were. I am so grateful that my parents taught me to be tolerant of everyone. They are classy people with big hearts.

Ha Ha, I have a cousin who decided to become a transgendered, He is a fool and an abomination to mankind, and if you do not like my opinion, tough, do as your parents taught you and tolerate it aps. Or you can be a hypocrite. It`s your choice...

ThePhoenix said:
Ha Ha, I have a cousin who decided to become a transgendered, He is a fool and an abomination to mankind, and if you do not like my opinion, tough, do as your parents taught you and tolerate it aps. Or you can be a hypocrite. It`s your choice...

Yeah yeah yeah yeah You're just upset because you were attracted to your cousin, and he rejected your advances since he wasn't that kind of "girl".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

aps said:
If parents don't make a big deal out if, their kids won't either. I remember when my cousin's daughter was exposed to a friend who had 2 mommies. Her mom (my cousin) did not make a big deal out if it when her daughter asked about it. Guess what? It had NO impact on her whatsoever.

And I think you are to be applauded for your open-mindedness. I cant say that I agree that there was no impact at all on the child, but that is the place of her mother to determine the level of exposure to such things.

So parents have to discuss a unique issue with their children--big deal. It's situations like this that are great learning experiences. I just have a hard time thinking that if the teacher substituted for a day here and a day there that the children would recognize the teacher, although that's not the point. I just don't think this would have much of an impact, if any, on the children or their psyche.

Are you a qualified psychiatric professional? Do you have any credentials that would allow you to make such a statement with any degree of authority? Have you spent any time looking into the possible psychological implications that such an event might have on a child? Do you even have any children in the position to be exposed to such an extreme situation? It is the right of the parents and/or qualified professionals to determine what level of exposure their children recieve. I'm sorry, I appreciate this teacher's circumstances and commend him/her for wanting to still be a teacher. However, I have to side with the rights of the parents to choose how their children should be raised and at what level of maturity they approach these issues. I will not submit to the idea that some liberal school board, with more interest in being PC than caring for the welfare of the children, has a right to force this issue upon the students. I am still not buying your argument that the children would not recognize this teacher for what he/she is because here we are discussing it. It has been made a blatant fact of life to ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CHILDREN.

I might be more sympathetic if you were talking about a permanent teacher who changed sexes in the middle of the school year (versus it happening in the summer and the person comes back to a WHOLE NEW classroom of children) so that the children in that same class went from calling him Mr. Smith in September 2005 to calling him Ms. Smith in January 2006.

Irrelevant. The fact is, the exposure potential is too great to risk such young minds with the possibility of having to face gender identity issues well before proper maturation. Its open and shut. That teacher does not need to be in the classroom with such young children.

I disagree that this is an "extreme circumstance" that has much of an impact on education. How so? As long as the person isn't a danger to children, what's the problem?

It is not about being an active danger, but rather a passive confusion to these kids. Its more about the parents' rights to choose the levels of exposure their children recieve. As I said before, I appreciate the unique circumstances of this case and the profound courage of this teacher is not lost upon me. However, that does not nullify the rights of the parents to choose how their children are raised.

And you could certainly jerk your kid out of school. That is your prerogative.

"Daddy, why am I now going to private school?"
"Because one of the substitute teachers underwent a sex change (something I will let you learn about when you are in your 20's), and I couldn't bear to expose you to that. You would be permanently scarred, my child."
:roll:

Now you are just being a smarta$$. I clearly stated that older (perhaps high school kids) would actually benefit from such a unique situation being presented to them. Make all the snide mockeries you want and put all the eye-rolling emoticons you care to, but the fact remains that there is a certain level of tradition and conservative security parents expect from the school system, especially with their elementary kids, and allowing this teacher in the classroom with such young kids undermines the fabric of that security.

As I said, I am tolerant and open-minded with most everyone, but there is a line. That line divides those who care about our future through guarding our children and those who would throw away any sense of stewardship in exchange for a touchy feely political correctness.

I'd just like to comment on the whole idea that if parents don't make a big deal out of it kids won't either. I don't THINK my kids are outside of the norm and they make a big deal about all kinds of things I don't want them making a big deal out of. In fact the ages of 3-4 were spent trying to teach them not to make a big deal of the differences in people. Didn't you ever go to the store with a child who wants to know why so and so is in a wheelchair, why the checkout lady has blue hair, why some men have earrings and long hair, ect ect ect. And often these discussions are followed by..."can I have blue hair? Can I get my ear pierced?"

And now that they are older...differences are an even BIGGER deal than ever. My son is 6 and he has definite likes and dislikes based on what's cool in his peer group. Plus he is entering the age of teasing...and grade school kids can be super mean to one another. You think a grade school kids are above taunting one another?

I can just see the playground talk...."Hey you have Ms Man teaching you to today. What's she teaching you? How to get a sex change?" Then the other kid has to either make fun of the teacher too or defend her. I personally find grade school kids too young to handle these issues and they shouldn't be forced to.

When you are a teacher you walk a fine line of being careful not to overstep your boundaries by teaching your personal beliefs as opposed to the basics you should be teaching.

It would be politically incorrect for a teacher to suggest that there is something horribly wrong with transexuals. Likewise it is just as incorrect for a teacher to return to a school where she use to be a man as a woman with the idea that all kids should understand and tolerate that changing your sex is perfectly acceptable.

I wouldn't want a teacher telling my kids how she had an abortion because that's a perfectly correct choice. I'd be pissed. Likewise I wouldn't want a teacher telling my kid abortion is baby killing either. I'd be pissed. Because the teacher isn't supposed to be teaching any of that crap to my kids in elementary school. And at that age their teacher is an authority to be looked up to and listened to.

Unfortunately in this situation the teacher has no choice but to field questions from kids. She can't keep her personal life personal in this case so her teacher/student boundaries are all out of whack. She should've went quietly to a new school.

As long as the transgender was not a child molester and was a good teacher what difference would it make?

alphieb said:
As long as the transgender was not a child molester and was a good teacher what difference would it make?

First off you have to remember we are talking elementary students not jr high or high school.

Now lets offer up an example with a homosexual teacher. I have no problem wtih a homosexual teacher or a heterosexual teacher.

However if a heterosexual teacher told my kids that homosexuality was "bad" I'd have a problem with that at the elementary school level. Further more if a homosexual told my kids that homosexuality is "good" I'd have a problem with that too. Because an elementary teacher shouldn't be addressing these issues.

In this situation the issue has to be addressed only because she refused to go quietly to a new school.

There's another thread on this one. Follow the discussion over here. (It's the longer one, that's the rationale behind closing this one.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom