• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would the World have responded to Putin the same if he hadn't spent the last several years sowing discord in western nations?

Would the World have responded to Putin the same if he hadn't spent the last several years sowing di

• Yes, this response has nothing to do with Russia's funding of extremist propaganda

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No, this response is partially due to Russia's funding of extremist propaganda

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
For years, Russia has been funding extremist messaging on social media and attempting to divide US and other country's politics and sowing distrust in government.

Is this sudden and strong response to Russia at least somewhat a response to that frustration that western societies feel over that effort?

I hesitate voting because I wish the poll was worded a little differently.
For the record, I do indeed believe that much of the last fifteen to twenty years of unrest is related to Putin's long term goals of sowing both discord AND ignorance in the free world.
His objective has always been to destroy democracy, because democracy in any form whatsoever, like our representative democracy, is inconvenient and sometimes unpredictable.
And authoritarians despise that, and incredibly wealthy and powerful ones hate it to the marrow of their bones.

For years, Russia has been funding extremist messaging on social media and attempting to divide US and other country's politics and sowing distrust in government.

Is this sudden and strong response to Russia at least somewhat a response to that frustration that western societies feel over that effort?

Putin is a playground bully who wants to go around stealing everyone's lunch money, even though he has more than enough money on his own.
I don't think anyone would be lining up to help him, because he's a bully. Bullies are assholes, and nobody likes an asshole.

I think it is in response to what Russia has been doing in Syria.

Generally, we find no good thing.

I hesitate voting because I wish the poll was worded a little differently.
For the record, I do indeed believe that much of the last fifteen to twenty years of unrest is related to Putin's long term goals of sowing both discord AND ignorance in the free world.
His objective has always been to destroy democracy, because democracy in any form whatsoever, like our representative democracy, is inconvenient and sometimes unpredictable.
And authoritarians despise that, and incredibly wealthy and powerful ones hate it to the marrow of their bones.
What wording do you suggest?

Putin is a murderous piece of shit...but the leftist party and media have used him as a political tool whenever and however it is convenient to them.

What wording do you suggest?

"Is Putin at least partially responsible for much of the ignorance and social discord in the West these last ten or so years?"

But hey, it's a good poll and I should vote, and maybe I should do my own poll with the above question instead, I did not want to sound like I
hated your poll, I just have to think more carefully about my response.

Putin is an aging KGB agent turned dictator who wants leave his mark in history. Old spooks like him are the worst of the worst.

The creshendo of Putin's crimes has reached a point where you simply can't ignore it anymore.

Putin is an aging KGB agent turned dictator who wants leave his mark in history. Old spooks like him are the worst of the worst.

Yep. He needs to be taken out. Regardless of how this thing in Ukraine ends, Putin needs to be taken out preferably by a bullet to the head. But if not then arrested and held for trial for crimes against humanity, murder. I much prefer option one.

I answered other since the reaction is half disgusted with invading yet another country and the fact that this for all appearance is a lead up to invading Europe and/or nuking us all. Its the natural reaction to a belligerent dictatorship crossing a line set during the cold war that never really ended.

Back
Top Bottom