• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would the Supreme Court eliminating the Affordable Care Act be a "big win for the USA"?

Would the Supreme Court eliminating the Affordable Care Act be a "big win for the USA"?

• Total voters

Greenbeard

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Trump helpfully reminds the voters this morning he's going to court the week after the election to ask the Supreme Court to eliminate the entire Affordable Care Act. Things like pre-existing condition protections, tax credits to help people afford premiums, Medicaid expansion, Medicare reforms, funds for training health care providers and investing in public health, all gone.

Is he right that winding the clock back a decade plus would be a "big win" for the U.S.?

Trump says elimination of Obamacare would be a ‘win for the USA’
President Trump said it would be a “win for the USA” if the Supreme Court eliminates the Affordable Care Act.

“Obamacare will be replaced with a MUCH better, and FAR cheaper, alternative if it is terminated in the Supreme Court. Would be a big WIN for the USA!” the president said Sunday in a tweet.

The statement came as Democratic leaders Rep. Nancy Pelosi claimed the only reason he’s in a rush to get Judge Amy Coney Barrett on the bench is to kill the health-care plan.

If he has a replacement that is better and cheaper why do we need to wait for the Supreme Court? I’m onboard now if it’s better and cheaper.. Let’s see it!

If he has a replacement that is better and cheaper why do we need to wait for the Supreme Court? I’m onboard now if it’s better and cheaper.. Let’s see it!

You hit the nail on the hed. O f course are asking for Trump to propose something, anything is a joke. He can't. His entire m.o. is based on stating what he disagrees with. In 4 years he has yet to enunciate anything he would propose. He's a one trick con man and his inability to do anything but put things down speaks loudly. He has served as a useful stooge for Putin dividing the US and getting Americans to hate each other. Trump stands for nothing other than whatever he thinks benefits his needs in the immediate moment. From the sounds of it, he gets his Big Macs when he screams but nothing to eat from Melania.

Since the foundation of Obamacare was based on Republican ideas, I'm skeptical that there will be anything AS good -- much less better. While it's always important remember that Republicans have consistently bad ideas, it should be mentioned that Republicans also have no NEW ideas. The GOP is where ideas and ideology go to die. No one knows what the Republican party stands for anymore, besides 'owning the libs'.

The Affordable Care Act is/was based on a lie: “If you like your health plan, you can keep it.”

Millions of Americans LOST their health plan. We lost ours. Before the ACA, we had very good (and AFFORDABLE) health plans, but our plans didn't meet ACA standards. So we got dumped. :mad:

The ACA needs to be repealed. Trump promised to crush the ACA during his 2016 campaign. He's had 4 years - - - he needs to make good on his promise to the people who want our health plans back.

I don't want the government to dictate the terms of my health plan. My doctor and I can figure that out.

When it comes to health care, one size does NOT fit all.

PROBLEM:
ObamaCare is designed so working people pay the bill.
Not the general tax fund.

Similar to MediCare - - too many "holes".

Both protect medical care institutions rather than "us".

Imagine a family of 4 with a Silver Plan .
Monthly premiums and they all get a cold / flu the same month.
4 doctor's visits and 2 prescriptions each. Maybe lab tests too.
And those Rx will cost you less via GoodRx.com than
trying to bill insurance.
Do The Math. I have.

These concepts are obscene excuses that charge the cost of Welfare medical care selectively on working people rather than the general tax fund.

Get It Or Not!

Moi, M.D. ret.

Trump helpfully reminds the voters this morning he's going to court the week after the election to ask the Supreme Court to eliminate the entire Affordable Care Act. Things like pre-existing condition protections, tax credits to help people afford premiums, Medicaid expansion, Medicare reforms, funds for training health care providers and investing in public health, all gone.

Is he right that winding the clock back a decade plus would be a "big win" for the U.S.?

It will most certainly be a "big win" for the American Healthcare Insurance Industry and the American Healthcare Provision Industry and the American Funeral Provision Industry and the American Bar Association and the American Bankruptcy Service Provision Industry.

The ACA needs to be repealed. Trump promised to crush the ACA during his 2016 campaign. He's had 4 years - - - he needs to make good on his promise to the people who want our health plans back.

Whatever plan you had eight years ago is gone. Stripping the market of consumer protections and financial assistance isn't going to bring it back.

The Affordable Care Act is/was based on a lie: “If you like your health plan, you can keep it.”

Millions of Americans LOST their health plan. We lost ours. Before the ACA, we had very good (and AFFORDABLE) health plans, but our plans didn't meet ACA standards. So we got dumped. :mad:

I don't want the government to dictate the terms of my health plan. My doctor and I can figure that out.

How much would you be willing to pay for a health insurance program that had:

1. NO "preexisting condition" exclusions;

2. NO "copays";

3. NO "per condition" caps;

4. NO annual caps;

5. NO lifetime caps;

6. an annual MAXIMUM prescription medication cost of $2,000;

and

7. NO possibility of cancellation

but

8. which allowed you to chose your own healthcare provider (assuming that they were willing to have you as a patient) AND provided access to a medical care system that was at least as good as that of the United States of America?

What do you pay for your current healthcare insurance program and what, if any of the above conditions does it meet?

My healthcare insurance program DOES meet all of the above conditions and I pay $(you guess) in premiums for it

How much would you be willing to pay for a health insurance program that had:

1. NO "preexisting condition" exclusions;

2. NO "copays";

3. NO "per condition" caps;

4. NO annual caps;

5. NO lifetime caps;

6. an annual MAXIMUM prescription medication cost of $2,000;

and

7. NO possibility of cancellation

but

8. which allowed you to chose your own healthcare provider (assuming that they were willing to have you as a patient) AND provided access to a medical care system that was at least as good as that of the United States of America?

What do you pay for your current healthcare insurance program and what, if any of the above conditions does it meet?

My healthcare insurance program DOES meet all of the above conditions and I pay $(you guess) in premiums for it
I want the magical Trump plan that does all this and more and is cheaper!

Millions and millions more got insurance than had it before. And it was better insurance, since the companies couldn't reject you for having a pre-existing condition, set a lifetime cap on payouts, etc.

You're trying to pretend that if someone had to get a different plan because the old one was one of those vaporware plans that weren't compliant with the ACA, that means they lost insurance. They didn't lose insurance. The plans just got changed around.

If ACA was so bad, the GOP would have come up with something better in the last ten years. They have jack shit.

Has he said that if he wins in the SC that he plans on scrapping the ACA right away or when Congress comes up with something to replace it?

Has he said that if he wins in the SC that he plans on scrapping the ACA right away or when Congress comes up with something to replace it?

If SCOTUS strikes it down, that doesn't mean Trump gets to decide when it ends. That means it is no longer the law.

You do know that Trump is a liar don't you? There is no "plan" and never will be.

At this point I really don't see how it matters. They stopped taking people for not having insurance.

absolutely not. even Tweety cultists won't like it when they find out how many preexisting conditions they have.

At this point I really don't see how it matters. They stopped taking people for not having insurance.
The insurance mandate will return as soon as Trump is gone. The whole point of HC reform is to cover EVERYONE and make it cheaper for all in the bargain. You can't cover preexisting conditions without a mandate. People will just wait until they get sick to sign up without it.

Medicare seems to fit well. Canada, Mexico, Europe, etc., seem to have plans that fit well. Far more gained insurance than lost it. Amend the ACA if you like to deal with your problem and others’. Even Obama won’t mind.

You have no idea how "good" your plan was or even why your insurer dropped it. That is the scam the insurers were running, entice you with low rates and then deny you coverage when you get sick. That was what the ACA changed. No more insurers taking you premiums for years only to find that you are not really covered.

Legislation of this nature is supposed to come from CONGRESS, in cooperation with the President.

IMO that was the problem with Obama's campaign promises. Despite his term as a Senator, he clearly didn't learn enough about the kinds of roadblocks his own Party might throw up.

In this case, "single-payer" which he initially pushed, then denied as unworkable. That turned into the nightmare of private insurance via State "exchanges" using competing companies. However, just as with any such "competitive" rules elsewhere, Big Insurance simply agreed to "not compete" and divided up the nation into control areas, with only minor competition from small insurers. Think in terms of Cable TV. There are two or three Major cable services, and a load of minor local companies. But the Major ones simply agree to non-compete, leaving ONE big (and typically selected) option. This allows them to control expenses while maintaining and even increasing profits.

So don't look to Trump, (or any President for that matter) especially when the Congress is partially or fully controlled by an opposition Party. The Democrats refused to cooperate with Trump on ANYTHING once they won the House. Republicans often do the same when this situation is reversed.

Legislation of this nature is supposed to come from CONGRESS, in cooperation with the President.

IMO that was the problem with Obama's campaign promises. Despite his term as a Senator, he clearly didn't learn enough about the kinds of roadblocks his own Party might throw up.

In this case, "single-payer" which he initially pushed, then denied as unworkable. That turned into the nightmare of private insurance via State "exchanges" using competing companies. However, just as with any such "competitive" rules elsewhere, Big Insurance simply agreed to "not compete" and divided up the nation into control areas, with only minor competition from small insurers. Think in terms of Cable TV. There are two or three Major cable services, and a load of minor local companies. But the Major ones simply agree to non-compete, leaving ONE big (and typically selected) option. This allows them to control expenses while maintaining and even increasing profits.

So don't look to Trump, (or any President for that matter) especially when the Congress is partially or fully controlled by an opposition Party. The Democrats refused to cooperate with Trump on ANYTHING once they won the House. Republicans often do the same when this situation is reversed.

Forget Obama, he is gone. What has Trump submitted to congress as a draft? He has had almost 4 years. Where is it? Just today, he is promising something better and cheaper. Where is it? Why does it need to wait for the supreme court?

Yes Obama caved on single payer because he fell for the GOP's lie that they were willing to make the ACA bipartisan but not with single payer. They added 100's of amendments to the bill and turned around and voted 100% against it. Biden will not be fooled and single payer will be added to the ACA or a new similar plan if the SC tries to strike it down.

Forget Obama, he is gone. What has Trump submitted to congress as a draft? He has had almost 4 years. Where is it? Just today, he is promising something better and cheaper. Where is it? Why does it need to wait for the supreme court?

What part of "So don't look to Trump, (or any President for that matter) especially when the Congress is partially or fully controlled by an opposition Party. The Democrats refused to cooperate with Trump on ANYTHING once they won the House. Republicans often do the same when this situation is reversed," did you fail to understand?

Trump has been surprisingly successful even despite this typical road-block. Now you might ask, "what about when he was elected and the Republican's controlled Congress until 2018?"

My answer is the same as I've posted before. Trump is NOT a "Republican." He was a dark horse, competing against 16 "known" old-guard Republican insiders. The Republican's (except for the Tea Party radicals) were almost as shocked as the Democrats that he actually won. They were slow to give him any support because they'd never worked with him or had any political ties to him. Something they would not have hesitated to do had one of the "old guard" won.

Last edited:
What part of "So don't look to Trump, (or any President for that matter) especially when the Congress is partially or fully controlled by an opposition Party. The Democrats refused to cooperate with Trump on ANYTHING once they won the House. Republicans often do the same when this situation is reversed," did you fail to understand?

Trump has been surprisingly successful even despite this typical road-block. Now you might ask, "what about when he was elected and the Republican's controlled Congress until 2018?"

My answer is the same as I've posted before. Trump is NOT a "Republican." He was a dark horse, competing against 16 "known" old-guard Republican insiders. The Republican's (except for the Tea Party radicals) were almost as shocked as the Democrats that he actually won. They were slow to give him any support, something they would not have hesitated to do had one of the "old guard" won.

As usual, CA, you spew a bunch of intelligent-sounding arguments to advocate for a change that will hurt millions of Americans.

Back
Top Bottom