• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would the Dems have given in for a permanent solution for DACA

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Trump said that he was willing to keep from deporting DACA's for three years to get his wall built. That is the real deal between him and the Dems. I wonder if the Dems would have agreed if he made that permanent instead of just three years? I mean that the GOP ended the Iran deal because it was for "only" ten years. Did Trump actually think that the deal for three years on DACA would bring the dems to the table?

The president tried to make a deal that would bring the democrats to the table to discuss a deal that would enforce immigrants to get citizenship to legally come in America period. I don’t know how to paint it

Trump said that he was willing to keep from deporting DACA's for three years to get his wall built. That is the real deal between him and the Dems. I wonder if the Dems would have agreed if he made that permanent instead of just three years? I mean that the GOP ended the Iran deal because it was for "only" ten years. Did Trump actually think that the deal for three years on DACA would bring the dems to the table?

No! He thinks he has the MSM upper hand. I wonder what he sees in a mirror.
/

Probably not, but a temporary fix for a problem he created was particularly a middle finger. And giving the middle finger to Democrats was what his supporters put him in office to do.

Pelosi and Schumer have already said “no wall”. They will not agree to anything that involves a wall and Trump won’t agree to anything that doesn’t have wall in it. Basically, Americans should probably figure out how to get by without a federal government.

Actually, they really should figure out how to get by with a lot less federal government.

The president tried to make a deal that would bring the democrats to the table to discuss a deal that would enforce immigrants to get citizenship to legally come in America period. I don’t know how to paint it

If Democrats demanded that Ivanka give blowjobs to everyone in Washington DC., what would trump ask for from Democrats in order to make that a fair bargain?

He offered Pelosi everything she wanted except a permanent resolution to DACA and TPS. He did offer a 3 year extension during which time a permanent solution could be found. Furthermore, he dropped the demand for limiting sponsored visas and his demand for eliminating the visa lottery. It was a LOT if give on his part.

Trump is laying a trap for Pelosi. It's only a matter of time until he offers a deal: Wall funding for amnsety for DACA. DACA has de facto amnesty as it is, but actual amnesty will finish the process and end DACA. This will also leave the democrats with "family reunification" - AKA chain migration, non skill based immigration, and general amnesty. The Trump "base" as they call it are not generally against DACA regularization, but against porous borders, chain migration, lottery for cheap labor.

So for 2020 that leaves the democrats with porous borders, chain migration, and imported poverty. Good luck selling that on main street.

If you reward a toddler's temper tantrums, he'll just keep throwing them to get what he wants from you. Creating a reward structure for bad behavior isn't worth a temporary respite from his wailing.

There has been plenty of commentary about permanent DACA in exchange for the wall, the issue is we are trying to apply reason to an unreasonable situation between Trump/Republicans and Democrats.

Shutting the government down was not a measure of negotation, it was a political temper tantrum that is now harming many.

We seem to be purposefully ignoring that prior to Trump losing the midterms (House) there was plenty of negotiation going on to continue funding government. No one was really talking about halting everything over the wall or nothing. It was not until the House flipped that Trump decided all bets were off until he got his wall, yet he had 2 years where the only hurdle was 60 Senate votes of which more than 50 were Republican.

Now Trump needs a majority in the House to get any deal and it seems out of reach.

Democrats do not have to cave here, it would mean appeasing a hijacker in Trump. This puts the Senate in a rough position where they know most bills coming from the House are a nonstarter, yet now we see McConnell basically harming Constitutionality saying all those bills will never even reach the floor for debate until Trump approves basically yielding his own position in the Senate to Trump of all people.

These are dangerous times and here we are with this “temporary” DACA deal that is a slap in the face being that Trump is the one that with a pen harmed DACA. We can damn near conclude that permanent DACA is a nonstarter for Trump/Republicans just as much as reopening government with funding Trump’s wall is a nonstarter for Democrats.

This is a real mess and it exposed how far Trump and Republicans are willing to go in harming people, there is no amount of spin possible now to blame this on Democrats. Trump blinked, and is losing support over this (then again if the nation was really behind Trump he would still have the House.)

The president tried to make a deal that would bring the democrats to the table to discuss a deal that would enforce immigrants to get citizenship to legally come in America period.

I don’t know how to paint it

Except you just did paint it falsely.

No amount of lies will change the fact that Trump forced the shutdown and even went as far as to say he was proud of it, would own it.

:shrug:

If you reward a toddler's temper tantrums, he'll just keep throwing them to get what he wants from you. Creating a reward structure for bad behavior isn't worth a temporary respite from his wailing.

Thanks for crapping the thread.

What is it with TDS and lack of emotional control that they just have to pop off on every subject whether they have something to add or not. Some people never get out of middle school.

Trump said that he was willing to keep from deporting DACA's for three years to get his wall built. That is the real deal between him and the Dems. I wonder if the Dems would have agreed if he made that permanent instead of just three years?

I doubt it. They've placed themselves in a box. They cannot make a deal. Doesn't matter what Trump is willing to give them.

I mean that the GOP ended the Iran deal because it was for "only" ten years.

The GOP would have been justified ending the deal simply for the fact that Obama didn't even take their opinions into consideration when he made it. In any case, it was Trump who ended the Iran deal.

Did Trump actually think that the deal for three years on DACA would bring the dems to the table?

I don't think he did. I think he made that deal to get them on record opposing his deal. It helps his justification when he finally declares a national emergency.

Thanks for crapping the thread.

What is it with TDS and lack of emotional control that they just have to pop off on every subject whether they have something to add or not. Some people never get out of middle school.

I love the irony of your post, considering what a vehement Trump supporter you are.

I wish he had offered them a permanent DACA fix. We need one. Kicking the can down the road for 3 years isn't anything at all. And if he does offer permanent DACA fixing, they should take it so we can all move on.

I doubt it. They've placed themselves in a box. They cannot make a deal. Doesn't matter what Trump is willing to give them.

The GOP would have been justified ending the deal simply for the fact that Obama didn't even take their opinions into consideration when he made it. In any case, it was Trump who ended the Iran deal.

I don't think he did. I think he made that deal to get them on record opposing his deal. It helps his justification when he finally declares a national emergency.

Democrats have repeatedly agreed to funding for the wall and DACA, in 2013 (the GOP House said FU) with the Gang of Eight and in 2018 (Trump said FU). Then they won the House, and Trump wants them to accept a far worse deal on DACA and give him his wall funding. So they've proved willing to compromise, but they're sure as hell not going to do it under WORSE conditions than when they were in the minority in the House, and not with government held hostage.

I wish he had offered them a permanent DACA fix. We need one. Kicking the can down the road for 3 years isn't anything at all. And if he does offer permanent DACA fixing, they should take it so we can all move on.

What, exactly, is a "permanent DACA fix" other than blanket amnesty for all past, present and future minors brought (or staying) illegally in the US?

Pelosi and Schumer have already said “no wall”. They will not agree to anything that involves a wall and Trump won’t agree to anything that doesn’t have wall in it. Basically, Americans should probably figure out how to get by without a federal government.

Actually, they really should figure out how to get by with a lot less federal government.

Yeah air traffic controllers...who needs them ?

What, exactly, is a "permanent DACA fix" other than blanket amnesty for all past, present and future minors brought (or staying) illegally in the US?

I don't know, and luckily, I don't have to come up with one. I'm not a lawmaker. That's up to them.

I thought the DACA minors were already here, and they stopped coming here about 10 years or so ago? I didn't know we had a new group of people who were defined by DACA. Maybe I missed all that news.

Except you just did paint it falsely.

No amount of lies will change the fact that Trump forced the shutdown and even went as far as to say he was proud of it, would own it.

:shrug:

It's refreshing to see a politician take responsibility rather than reply with a poll tested word salad.

He offered Pelosi everything she wanted except a permanent resolution to DACA and TPS. He did offer a 3 year extension during which time a permanent solution could be found. Furthermore, he dropped the demand for limiting sponsored visas and his demand for eliminating the visa lottery. It was a LOT if give on his part.

What did he offer to the Democrats?

If Democrats demanded that Ivanka give blowjobs to everyone in Washington DC., what would trump ask for from Democrats in order to make that a fair bargain?

He's probably want the naming rights to the wall.

Do you actually think that the GOP, Coulter, Fox News and Limbaugh would ever agree to a permanent deal on DACA. They are the power behind the power as we have seen. And he makes a deal, but will he and the GOP stick to it or start cutting things out of the deal once they get to legislation. The problem with always telling lies is then no one believes in what you say. So all of you trumpsters that have given him cover for his lies may actually be partly responsible for the Dems not agreeing to any deal until the government is back open.

Back
Top Bottom