• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would Seinfeld be too offensive to air today?

Would Seinfeld be too offensive to air today?

• Yes

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
One of the most popular shows in the 90s, would Seinfeld be able to air today? Here are some descriptions of some most popular episodes:

The Merv Griffin Show: Synopsis: Kramer finds pieces of the old Merv Griffin show set in a dumpster and begins hosting a pretend talk show focusing on "scandals and animals." Jerry drugs his girlfriend so he can play with her vintage toy collection. Elaine's new co-worker is a sideler. George runs over a pigeon.

The Outing: Synopsis: Jerry and George are outed as a gay couple after a NYU reporter overhears a conversation at the diner.

The Limo: Synopsis: George and Jerry take a limo intended for a man named O'Brien, who turns out to be a neo-Nazi.

The Soap Nazi: Synopsis: Jerry, George, Kramer and Newman become obsessed with the new soup stand run by a mean chef who they dub the "Soup Nazi." Elaine, who was denied soup earlier for not ordering properly, gets revenge on the chef after discovering his recipes in an armoir and threatening to publish them.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/life...dd059b2505/50-best-seinfeld-episodes-and.html

Last edited:
One of the most popular shows in the 90s, would Seinfeld be able to air today? Here are some descriptions of some most popular episodes:

The Merv Griffin Show: Synopsis: Kramer finds pieces of the old Merv Griffin show set in a dumpster and begins hosting a pretend talk show focusing on "scandals and animals." Jerry drugs his girlfriend so he can play with her vintage toy collection. Elaine's new co-worker is a sideler. George runs over a pigeon.

The Outing: Synopsis: Jerry and George are outed as a gay couple after a NYU reporter overhears a conversation at the diner.

The Limo: Synopsis: George and Jerry take a limo intended for a man named O'Brien, who turns out to be a neo-Nazi.

The Soap Nazi: Synopsis: Jerry, George, Kramer and Newman become obsessed with the new soup stand run by a mean chef who they dub the "Soup Nazi." Elaine, who was denied soup earlier for not ordering properly, gets revenge on the chef after discovering his recipes in an armoir and threatening to publish them.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/life...dd059b2505/50-best-seinfeld-episodes-and.html

Funny, I watched a YouTube segment by FBE on this very subject.

Here's how Teens and College kids reacted:

I think it would not go over too well currently. The premise was about openly selfish people and their antics.

Political Correctness and Identity Politics makes a virtue out of being offended, and has been killing comedy of all kinds over the last couple of decades.

Lenny Bruce and George Carlin opened the doors back in the 60's.

IMO SJW "Thought Police" have been working tirelessly to close them again. :coffeepap:

Last edited:
Not to mention that the entire series as a whole was a veiled commentary on modern-day American antisemitism; a key satirical angle that goes way over everyone's head because it was never explicitly stated.

Come on after 2 and a half men and How I Met Your Mother are we really having this convo?

IMO SJW "Thought Police" have been working tirelessly to close them again. :coffeepap:

Please provide for us the list of these "thought police" and exactly where their jails are. And by the way, getting Roseanne kicked back off the air doesn't count. I wonder if you even know what free speech really means.

I think it would not go over too well currently. The premise was about openly selfish people and their antics.

Political Correctness and Identity Politics makes a virtue out of being offended, and has been killing comedy of all kinds over the last couple of decades.

Too much political correctness these days, and thankfully we have liberal comedians and pundits, like Bill Maher and Lewis Black who are working hard to drag all that PC into the dumpster where it belongs.

For the record, one of my kids, my daughter, thinks Seinfeld is horrific, but my son thinks it's a laugh riot.
My daughter isn't consumed with PC but every once in a while it seeps in around the edges.

Talking honestly about things we generally cant manage anymore.

We used to be better.

Too much political correctness these days, and thankfully we have liberal comedians and pundits, like Bill Maher and Lewis Black who are working hard to drag all that PC into the dumpster where it belongs.

For the record, one of my kids, my daughter, thinks Seinfeld is horrific, but my son thinks it's a laugh riot.
My daughter isn't consumed with PC but every once in a while it seeps in around the edges.

The comedians mostly suck now.

We cant manage comedy anymore generally.

See, this is the amazing part about overt PC. In one lifetime, I've seen us go from George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, and Mario Savio, to overt political correctness. How did that happen?

(BTW, nice sense of history. I'm a big Lenny Bruce fan, and have his book along with other Bruce biographies. The movie with Dustin Hoffman was decent, too.)

It does air today. They're called, "re-runs".

I may be a heretic here but I thought Seinfeld was mostly boring. And in that time it was something I would only watch if there was nothing and I do mean nothing out there on TV that was remotely non-boring.

But don't ask me about OK to air today, I am still a big fan of the young ones for example and compared to that Seinfeld is totally acceptable LOL.

Not to mention that the entire series as a whole was a veiled commentary on modern-day American antisemitism; a key satirical angle that goes way over everyone's head because it was never explicitly stated.

That was pretty well addressed in the episode where Seinfeld's dentist converted to Judaism. One of the better written episodes IMO.

There is plenty of unPC stuff on today. Always Sunny is Seinfeld on steroids.

I may be a heretic here but I thought Seinfeld was mostly boring. And in that time it was something I would only watch if there was nothing and I do mean nothing out there on TV that was remotely non-boring.

But don't ask me about OK to air today, I am still a big fan of the young ones for example and compared to that Seinfeld is totally acceptable LOL.

I understand. I am guessing you must have been a "friends" guy.

Why wouldn’t it air? It’s in perpetual reruns.

All the Seinfeld episodes are playing daily in reruns and I have not heard a single complaint. So I guess that answers your question.

All the Seinfeld episodes are playing daily in reruns and I have not heard a single complaint. So I guess that answers your question.

Not all Seinfeld episodes. Puerto Rican Day and The Chinaman's nightcap has been banned.

I never watched that. The entire idea of that trying to tell others how they think is highly offensive in nature.

Why is so important that Jerry be loved by younger generations?

I doubt Justin Bieber cares if I dig his music.

Why is so important that Jerry be loved by younger generations?

I doubt Justin Bieber cares if I dig his music.
you just made Justin sad. Because of you, he will prolly need female constructive surgery.

I like the fact that Jerry himself doesn't give a **** one way or the other if you or anybody else is offended by what he says.

I think he is the only comic I have seen that has not apologized about something that he has said recently.

Back
Top Bottom