• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would Seinfeld be too offensive to air today?

Would Seinfeld be too offensive to air today?

• Yes

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I understand. I am guessing you must have been a "friends" guy.

Friends is OK, it is not hilarious but entertaining in it's own way.

Seinfeld to me was never very funny, Elaine was OK, Seinfeld was good sometimes, the idiot from next door Kramer was funny from time to time but for me the biggest whiny asswipe was Constanza. When he was in the frame things just went downhill, always with the bitching and the whining with him.

And politically incorrect is fine from time to time, the young ones was slapstick violence with no political correctness whatsoever and Billy Connolly is as a standup comedian also not very politically correct. Standup with Robin Williams is the same and to me hilarious. Seinfeld was to me never that funny.

One of the most popular shows in the 90s, would Seinfeld be able to air today? Here are some descriptions of some most popular episodes:

The Merv Griffin Show: Synopsis: Kramer finds pieces of the old Merv Griffin show set in a dumpster and begins hosting a pretend talk show focusing on "scandals and animals." Jerry drugs his girlfriend so he can play with her vintage toy collection. Elaine's new co-worker is a sideler. George runs over a pigeon.

The Outing: Synopsis: Jerry and George are outed as a gay couple after a NYU reporter overhears a conversation at the diner.

The Limo: Synopsis: George and Jerry take a limo intended for a man named O'Brien, who turns out to be a neo-Nazi.

The Soap Nazi: Synopsis: Jerry, George, Kramer and Newman become obsessed with the new soup stand run by a mean chef who they dub the "Soup Nazi." Elaine, who was denied soup earlier for not ordering properly, gets revenge on the chef after discovering his recipes in an armoir and threatening to publish them.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/life...dd059b2505/50-best-seinfeld-episodes-and.html

No - SEINFELD would be just fine today.

But you can do this with lots of films and TV shows. I recently watched a film from 1949 - TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME with Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelley. They sing a duet about Kelley having sex with underage girls in different towns they play ball in. Now you try that today.

If anyone's worried modern tv dodges has stopped making light of social issues, just watch a few episodes of "Family Guy". F.G. makes Seinfeld look like the Mary Tyler Moore show.

My kids turned me on to a very funny new female comedian named Iliza. She is not politically correct. The one show that might shake people up now is All in the Family. Archie is now mainstream, the jokes would hit too hard for conservatives to take these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALE6ENavvJQ

One of the most popular shows in the 90s, would Seinfeld be able to air today? Here are some descriptions of some most popular episodes:

The Merv Griffin Show: Synopsis: Kramer finds pieces of the old Merv Griffin show set in a dumpster and begins hosting a pretend talk show focusing on "scandals and animals." Jerry drugs his girlfriend so he can play with her vintage toy collection. Elaine's new co-worker is a sideler. George runs over a pigeon.

The Outing: Synopsis: Jerry and George are outed as a gay couple after a NYU reporter overhears a conversation at the diner.

The Limo: Synopsis: George and Jerry take a limo intended for a man named O'Brien, who turns out to be a neo-Nazi.

The Soap Nazi: Synopsis: Jerry, George, Kramer and Newman become obsessed with the new soup stand run by a mean chef who they dub the "Soup Nazi." Elaine, who was denied soup earlier for not ordering properly, gets revenge on the chef after discovering his recipes in an armoir and threatening to publish them.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/life...dd059b2505/50-best-seinfeld-episodes-and.html

Wow another stupid and instantly failed thread.

1.) Seinfeld airs just about everyday, they are called reruns
2.) are you familiar with othershows that if the examples in the OP are the bar you are setting that do that and "worse".....

FAIL

Wow another stupid and instantly failed thread.

1.) Seinfeld airs just about everyday, they are called reruns
2.) are you familiar with othershows that if the examples in the OP are the bar you are setting that do that and "worse".....

FAIL

Nope not all episodes run as re-runs. Episodes have been banned.

Nope not all episodes run as re-runs. Episodes have been banned.

who said every episode runs???.... i said the show already airs today and thats a fact hence answering your failed question before you even asked LMAO

11/27/18 the show in question airs = fail

I love when your posts fail and you quickly lie or post strawmen or deflect only to further fail :)

All the Seinfeld episodes are playing daily in reruns and I have not heard a single complaint. So I guess that answers your question.

Reruns don't have to worry about courting current audiences.

From time to time, a few rerun shows do get taken off the air for offending either Left or Right, but it's not common, as people would rather b*tch about current productions.

I'd imagine if it was a whole new show, the network might consider a later time slot. I don't remember the old one.

It jokes a lot about stereotypes, but joking about it is not actually stereotyping in itself. A lot of comedy does that, such as Key and Peele.

Funny, I watched a YouTube segment by FBE on this very subject.

Here's how Teens and College kids reacted:

I think it would not go over too well currently. The premise was about openly selfish people and their antics.

Political Correctness and Identity Politics makes a virtue out of being offended, and has been killing comedy of all kinds over the last couple of decades.

Lenny Bruce and George Carlin opened the doors back in the 60's.

IMO SJW "Thought Police" have been working tirelessly to close them again. :coffeepap:

Seinfeld was not a hit its first year either... but once people got the good natured ropping of it it became huge... these kids overall generally liked the show more than disliked. It would be a hit today as well..

Such as? Does that include streaming on Prime?

The second-to-last ''Seinfeld'' featured Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer driving back from a Mets game and getting stuck in a traffic jam created by the Puerto Rican Day parade. At one point, Kramer tossed a sparkler and accidentally lighted a Puerto Rican flag on fire. He tried putting out the burning flag by stomping on it.

Angry paradegoers then began chasing Kramer. When they lost him, the mob began shaking Jerry's empty car and threw it down a stairwell. Kramer remarked that ''it's like this every day in Puerto Rico.''

The scene was an ''unconscionable insult'' to Puerto Ricans, said the president of the National Puerto Rican Coalition, Manuel Mirabal.

''It is unacceptable that the Puerto Rican flag be used by 'Seinfeld' as a stage prop under any circumstances,'' Mr. Mirabal said.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/09/...d-episode-on-the-puerto-rican-day-parade.html

There is another one.

Thanks, but that article is 20 years old. The Puerto Rican Day episode is on Prime video and Hulu. TBS airs Seinfeld reruns. Any evidence it hasn't been shown since the Clinton administration?

Are you referring to the lost episodes were Elaine pointed a gun at her head making a JFK joke and where George talked about Black people never ordering salads?

Thanks for the link! Still cracks me up just thinking about the show.

Not to mention that the entire series as a whole was a veiled commentary on modern-day American antisemitism; a key satirical angle that goes way over everyone's head because it was never explicitly stated.

There are parallels with "All in the Family" The milder US version of a hit UK show "Till Death do us Part". The Archie Bunker/Alf Garnett character was an absolute monster, a racist monarchist antisemitic (though Jewish) homophobic misogynist. It drove the actor nuts to be constantly congratulated in the street for "telling them liberals what's what!"

Back
Top Bottom