• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would Ending Wholesale Bulk Discounts Save Small Business and Help the Economy??

Would ending wholesale bulk discounts save small businesses and renew interest in them??

• Yes, it makes sense and could be legally justified

• No, it wouldn't help

• Yes, but it's government overreach

• No and it's government overreach

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Uh, no they don't. I can attest to that. Those stores are expensive and are plopped in the middle of highly populated areas with a high draw, usually in some gigantic mall. Thanks!!

Yep, and “the burbs“ offer sufficient population. No (actual indoor) shopping malls that I have seen include stores selling lumber or hardware, although some consider clusters of adjacent stores sharing a common parking area to be “strip malls”.

Yep, and “the burbs“ offer sufficient population. No (actual indoor) shopping malls that I have seen include stores selling lumber or hardware, although some consider clusters of adjacent stores sharing a common parking area to be “strip malls”.
Actually, the "burbs" have to be very densely populated and have a huge shopping hub. Home Depot likes to go in with other big anchors like Wal-mart, and then all the Petcos, Ikeas, tire stores, mattress stores, fast food joints, etc. surround them. These hubs are generally tucked in pretty close to a city of some scale, where the burbs are practically an extension. But they need to have lots of room for those giant parking lots. Thanks!!

Giant corporations seem to be the backbone of America, but in reality, it is small businesses that have kept us afloat. The Wal-marts of this world have an unfair advantage because of their buying power. They are able to buy at huge discounts which small businesses are not able to do, hence Wal-marts easily put them out of business. I would argue that wholesale bulk discounts are a form of discrimination, and should be illegal. I'm not a proponent of much government interference, but given the rapid decline of local businesses, I think it's justified. And I think it would be an enormous boon to the economy. What do you think?? Thanks!!
I think - no offense - that this is an absolutely, ridiculous idea.

You are proposing to take steps to make the cost of living, much more expensive for poor Americans?
Do you know how many MILLIONS of Americans depend on Walmart's cheap prices?

Look at Kraft Dinner? A welfare staple.

At Safeway? It regularly costs $1.29.
It would surely cost more at a Ma and Pa store.
At Walmart?
It costs 98 cents.
And it's Great Value version costs only 34 cents!!

This is your idea?
To deliberately make staples FAR more expensive for low income Americans?

Have you seen the inflation rate lately?
And you want to make it even worse?

You obviously do not know many poor/low income people and/or do not care about the poor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom