• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

• Total voters
Red herring. All I'm saying is that you sound like the only rights allowed someone is what you believe. If you don't smoke, you don't think anyone else has the right to. If you're straight then gay marriage is not a right. I mean, it's not (it's a privilege)...but I think you can understand where I'm coming from.

Hopefully.

Red herring.

Not sure why you are making this accusation. I simply stated what I believed.

All I'm saying is that you sound like the only rights allowed someone is what you believe.

If I don't think people should have the right to something, I would vote against legislation allowing it. So I guess your statement is probably true.

If you don't smoke, you don't think anyone else has the right to.

Not sure where you are getting that from. I think people should have the right to do lots of things I have no desire to do. For example, I don't drink alcohol, but I don't think it should be illegal.

If you're straight then gay marriage is not a right.

I am not following your logic. I am straight and I have no personal issue with gay people getting married.

I mean, it's not (it's a privilege)...but I think you can understand where I'm coming from.

Hopefully.

Good, because I have no idea where you are coming from.

Last edited:
If I don't think people should have the right to something, I would vote against legislation allowing it. So I guess your statement is probably true.

That's the only important sentence. Truth is that your beliefs will determine whether they have a right. Everything else is gravy.

That's the only important sentence. Truth is that your beliefs will determine whether they have a right. Everything else is gravy.

Of course I feel that way. Why would I deny it? Especially since I see nothing wrong with that statement.

I am just curious why you seem to think I would be opposed to something I didn't personally do, per your smoking and gay marriage example. That accusation makes no sense.

Of course I feel that way. Why would I deny it? Especially since I see nothing wrong with that statement.

I am just curious why you seem to think I would be opposed to something I didn't personally do, per your smoking and gay marriage example. That accusation makes no sense.

So you don't believe that you own your own body and that the government can tell you what you can put it in?

Simple question. Do you think drug legalization would move a noticeable number of libertarians to another ideology as one of their core issues is resolved to their satisfaction?

I don't know myself. It certainly may but I doubt it. Legalisation of pot would be a relatively small portion of their over all agenda. Didn't answer the poll.

So you don't believe that you own your own body and that the government can tell you what you can put it in?

I think its a biased way to ask the question, but as you ask it, not entirely. For example, I see no problems with prostitution being illegal even though the prostitute owns her body and can put penises into it. Such things have to be balanced against the needs of society. In this case, society has a vested interest in both morality and health issues.

I think its a biased way to ask the question, but as you ask it, not entirely. For example, I see no problems with prostitution being illegal even though the prostitute owns her body and can put penises into it. Such things have to be balanced against the needs of society. In this case, society has a vested interest in both morality and health issues.

So if society deems your favorite food and drink to be bad for you then you would have no problems with it? What if society deems that you need to work 18 hours a day seven days a week to pay for their morality and health you would have no problems with it? What if society deems that the way that you live your life is wrong and if you proceed to do it that you can go to prison for it you would have no problems with it?

So if society deems your favorite food and drink to be bad for you then you would have no problems with it? What if society deems that you need to work 18 hours a day seven days a week to pay for their morality and health you would have no problems with it? What if society deems that the way that you live your life is wrong and if you proceed to do it that you can go to prison for it you would have no problems with it?

I am pretty sure I would have a problem with those things.

I am pretty sure I would have a problem with those things.

So you're stance is pretty hypocritical when it comes to you and your body, but when it comes to everyone else it's alright with you due to society mandating it for morality and health. At least I'm consistent in my views.

So you're stance is pretty hypocritcal when it comes to you and your body, but when it comes to everyone else it's alright with you. At least I'm consistent in my views.

I am sure you are consistent in your view. And I feel I am consistent in mine. Nowhere did I say the prostitute has to like the laws I support, now do I like a lot of laws that conservatives support or anything that does not jive with my personal opinion of right or wrong or like and dislike. However, I recognize everyone's right to participate in society, even if I do not like what may result out of it.

I am sure you are consistent in your view. And I feel I am consistent in mine. Nowhere did I say the prostitute has to like the laws I support, now do I like a lot of laws that conservatives support or anything that does not jive with my personal opinion of right or wrong or like and dislike. However, I recognize everyone's right to participate in society, even if I do not like what may result out of it.

So then you have no problem with the examples I posted?

Are you having trouble comprehending my post?

Nope, I'm just making sure that we're on the same page. On the one hand you say that you wouldn't like it if it was done to you, but you're fine with it as long it is someone else.

Nope, I'm just making sure that we're on the same page. On the one hand you say that you wouldn't like it if it was done to you, but you're fine with it as long it is someone else.

Yes, that is what I said.

To be honest, I was not attempting to make fun, but simply understand the mindset a little better. One of the ways to do that is poke and see where the divisions in the party are.

Well it's not along drug legalization. The biggest "division" that I've seen is between minarchists and anarchists who identify as libertarian.

But no one individual has the right to impose their morality upon me. The only thing that matters is that I act in accordance to the rights of others, that's it. As for prostitution, there's no reason it should be illegal and it being illegal most likely leads to other negative consequences. Legalized prostitution would allow for proper regulation and taxation of the industry, allow of unionization of sex workers to get safe work environments and fair working wages, etc.

That I do and I'm a firm believer in the You First Principle.

I believe in the $person balanced with $society principal. Neither should be first and neither should be secondary.

Will it change anyone's actual ideology? Probably not.

Will it change the word a lot of people will use to describe their ideology? Yes, to a very large extent. Many liberals and conservatives call themselves "libertarian" beacause they want to legalize drugs.

I believe in the $person balanced with $society principal. Neither should be first and neither should be secondary.

The you first principle is that if you want to do something in the government then you should first try it out for yourself.

I believe that society should respect the rights of the individual and protect those rights. Society does not have the ability to determine what is moral or healthly for the individual.

Back
Top Bottom