• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

• Total voters

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Simple question. Do you think drug legalization would move a noticeable number of libertarians to another ideology as one of their core issues is resolved to their satisfaction?

Simple question. Do you think drug legalization would move a noticeable number of libertarians to another ideology as one of their core issues is resolved to their satisfaction?

I don't know, but I do think potato chip sales would go up.

I'm not quite grasping your question.

Are you suggesting that some people are libertarians *because* they support legalizing of drugs? And if the Reps or Dems favor, support and push through legalization of their favored drug they, then, might becomes said party?

Sure - a few people might be like that - But enough to make a *difference* - no.

I'm not quite grasping your question.

Are you suggesting that some people are libertarians *because* they support legalizing of drugs? And if the Reps or Dems favor, support and push through legalization of their favored drug they, then, might becomes said party?

Sure - a few people might be like that - But enough to make a *difference* - no.

Yes, that is essentially my question.

It would certainly reduce the number of Librarians. You know the type: mousy by day, tigress by night.

To be honest, everytime I hear someone is a Libertarian, I chuckle inside. :lol:

I don't believe so - I would be shocked if this were true. What makes you think that it is possible for a large number of libertarians to be libertarians simply because they are for legalization of MJ? I'm not saying it's not - just curious.

I suppose this group would potentially be some previous GOP members that support everything GOP except MJ legalization. I mean, Dem's already vote that way, no? And so if Dem's go to Lib party they don't do it for MJ. GOP members may go to Lib Party for MJ. But that's not the primary thing the Lib party is pushing for. What the lib party is pushing for is a smaller gov't which goes against the dem party and the GOP... so I would be shocked if somebody prioritized MJ legalization so far that that became the reason for changing parties.

I think it would reduce the number of druggies that claim to be libertarian from being politically active.

I think it might reduce the number of younger Libertarians, but in the more mature element, no.

It wouldn't have a noticeable difference. While almost everyone in the libertarian party would support massive drug reform, it is not the central piece of our political philosophy. Perhaps our stance on drugs attracts some amount of people initially to at least check out the LP, but most people who join are not joining solely for the drug position. There are larger positions which revolve around free market capitalism and minarchism which are not found in the main party. You can legalize drugs tomorrow, but that's going to do little to nothing to our membership as there are no other party platforms out there which match to our own personal ideologies as much as the LP.

I know some people think it's cool to make fun of libertarians and such. Chuckle or make retarded threads trying to condemn or poke fun or make us look bad. It says more about the person making those comments, however, than it does the libertarian political philosophy. But don't worry, we're not going to do anything about it. World's full of idiots and douche bags, but there ain't no law against being either of those.

Funny question and truthfully...probably. I cant tell you how people responded when i stated that the drug legalization idea should be dropped from party ideology...

I can GUARANTEE tho that it will have NO impact on our number of elected representatives...

To be honest, everytime I hear someone is a Libertarian, I chuckle inside. :lol:

To be honest...I hear average citizens proclaim with pride they are either a democrat or a republican and responsible for the **** this country is in...and I puke...just a little...

Funny question and truthfully...probably. I cant tell you how people responded when i stated that the drug legalization idea should be dropped from party ideology...

I can GUARANTEE tho that it will have NO impact on our number of elected representatives...

I definitely think we shouldn't make it seem so central. Yet at the same time I think that it is one of the more visible and agreed on forms of government intrusion over the proper powers of State and decisions of People. Yet there are plenty of organizations and such which focus on drug legalization above that which is proposed by the libertarians, which would tend to focus more on that specific issue. As for our membership, I wouldn't expect it to dramatically decrease if drugs were legalized as even if something like that would occur, there is still a lot of work to do to reign the government back under control.

I definitely think we shouldn't make it seem so central. Yet at the same time I think that it is one of the more visible and agreed on forms of government intrusion over the proper powers of State and decisions of People. Yet there are plenty of organizations and such which focus on drug legalization above that which is proposed by the libertarians, which would tend to focus more on that specific issue. As for our membership, I wouldn't expect it to dramatically decrease if drugs were legalized as even if something like that would occur, there is still a lot of work to do to reign the government back under control.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems to be mostly the younger people who identify themselves as Libertarians who push the drug legalization issue. Either way it doesn't matter much to me. Legal prescription drugs are a huge problem (as far as the addiction end of the issue) and dwarf any illegal drug use that I am aware of. The problem that the Libertarian party has (imo) is an inability to relate their core belief systems concerning government, but it's not a problem with the messenger as much as a problem of freedom and personal liberty being virtually foreign concepts in America today.

yes because liberty and freedom is far more likley to bring smiles and laughter to ones face, than nanny state soft tyranny the left is trying to bring. :thumbs:

I know some people think it's cool to make fun of libertarians and such. Chuckle or make retarded threads trying to condemn or poke fun or make us look bad. It says more about the person making those comments, however, than it does the libertarian political philosophy. But don't worry, we're not going to do anything about it. World's full of idiots and douche bags, but there ain't no law against being either of those.

To be honest, I was not attempting to make fun, but simply understand the mindset a little better. One of the ways to do that is poke and see where the divisions in the party are.

Would there be a decrease in liberals if Roe vs. Wade was overturned?

Would there be a decrease in liberals if Roe vs. Wade was overturned?

Actually, I think the equivalent question would be whether there would be a decrease in Republicans.

And honestly, I think there probably are some single issue voters out there in regards to abortion who might not care so much about politics otherwise.

You know, that isn't even one of the main reasons I'm a libertarian.

It may cause some to move on but I don't know.

What I was trying to say is that if legalization of drugs is all you care about, you're not a libertarian. You're just some bandwagon stoner under a misnomer. It'd be like calling Bush a conservative.

I'm for legalization, but not because "it's like tyranny, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan". I'm for legalization because it's not the government's right to dictate what you put into your own body on your own time on your own property. However, the even bigger reason I'm for its legalization is because not only does decriminalization of it reduce public funds use, but you can tax and regulate it for a form of income to Uncle Sam.

I don't smoke weed. Doesn't mean I wouldn't support someone who wants to do it. It's not hurting me. I'm not gay but someone else who is may want to get married. Not my business to jump in the way. I've even defended sin taxes on cigarettes even though it's a nasty, disgusting habit that caters to the lowest common denominator.

Rights don't exist simply because they're part of your belief system.

What I was trying to say is that if legalization of drugs is all you care about, you're not a libertarian. You're just some bandwagon stoner under a misnomer. It'd be like calling Bush a conservative.

I still have trouble believing that one. Bush was enthousiastically supported by conservatives. In fact they were his last hold out in terms of popularity. If he isn't conservative, than conservatives aren't conservative.

I'm for legalization, but not because "it's like tyranny, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan". I'm for legalization because it's not the government's right to dictate what you put into your own body on your own time on your own property. However, the even bigger reason I'm for its legalization is because not only does decriminalization of it reduce public funds use, but you can tax and regulate it for a form of income to Uncle Sam.

I don't smoke weed. Doesn't mean I wouldn't support someone who wants to do it. It's not hurting me. I'm not gay but someone else who is may want to get married. Not my business to jump in the way. I've even defended sin taxes on cigarettes even though it's a nasty, disgusting habit that caters to the lowest common denominator.

Rights don't exist simply because they're part of your belief system.

I don't agree with that last statement, but I am cool with people who want to do right because they believe its right.

So if you're a non-smoker, you don't think you have a right to light up?

So if you're a non-smoker, you don't think you have a right to light up?

Whether or not I smoke has nothing to do with my belief system. I may smoke even if I do not think I have the right to do so if I do not think I will get caught.

So I guess the best answer I can give is if I do not believe I have the right to smoke up, I will act accordingly. If I do believe it, I will act accordingly.

Personally, I do not smoke up, but I am not opposed to the legalization of weed as I think the current laws about it do more harm than good to society.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom