• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would Americans fight for their homeland like Ukrainians? A recent poll is discouraging

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Like most Americans, I’ve spent the last few weeks contemplating the implications of Russia’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, including those that extend beyond ever-increasing gasoline prices and grocery bills.

As I was explaining to my inquisitive 6-year-old, war is, sadly, a perennial state of human existence.

This isn’t the first war of her lifetime, and no matter how much we strive for peace throughout the world, it won’t be the last.

But unlike the wars of the recent past — even those in which U.S. troops were committed — the fight in Ukraine feels closer to home.

The images and stories of ordinary men taking up arms, of women constructing Molotov cocktails in their town squares and of families resolutely hunkering down in defense of their nation are as terrifying as they are compelling.

They are hopeful, too.

They remind us that when their culture, freedoms and way of life are under assault, many people will risk and even lose their own lives to ensure their long-term survival.

What would we do in such circumstances? A recent Quinnipiac University poll posed that same question to Americans: Would you stay and fight or leave the country?
A bare majority, 55 percent, said they would stay and fight, while 38 percent said they would leave.

COMMENT:-

If the Fort Worth Star-Telegram wants money to read the article, you can read it HERE for free.​

Like most Americans, I’ve spent the last few weeks contemplating the implications of Russia’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, including those that extend beyond ever-increasing gasoline prices and grocery bills.

As I was explaining to my inquisitive 6-year-old, war is, sadly, a perennial state of human existence.

This isn’t the first war of her lifetime, and no matter how much we strive for peace throughout the world, it won’t be the last.

But unlike the wars of the recent past — even those in which U.S. troops were committed — the fight in Ukraine feels closer to home.

The images and stories of ordinary men taking up arms, of women constructing Molotov cocktails in their town squares and of families resolutely hunkering down in defense of their nation are as terrifying as they are compelling.

They are hopeful, too.

They remind us that when their culture, freedoms and way of life are under assault, many people will risk and even lose their own lives to ensure their long-term survival.

What would we do in such circumstances? A recent Quinnipiac University poll posed that same question to Americans: Would you stay and fight or leave the country?
A bare majority, 55 percent, said they would stay and fight, while 38 percent said they would leave.

If the Fort Worth Star-Telegram wants money to read the article, you can read it HERE for free.​
Are you kidding? The lefties here at DP are panty waste. I wouldn’t count on them for anything.

Excerpt from the article:

Further disheartening is that the youngest Americans, those ages 18-34 and most physically capable, were even less likely to stay and fight. Only 45% said they would remain, while 48 percent would flee.

Comparatively, two-thirds of the 50-to-64-year-old cohort said they would remain.

Say's a lot about the younger crowd. ;)

Of course they would

Most Americans know their homeland will not be invaded, which makes it highly hypothetical and very distant as a concept.

America is already being invaded, surprised 55% would stay, 20 years story will be worse

Are you kidding? The lefties here at DP are panty waste. I wouldn’t count on them for anything.
My father was far more left than me. When Pearl Harbor was bombed, he enlisted in the Army the next day, Monday, Dec 8, 1941.

It's a mistake to think conservatives are more patriotic than liberals. No liberals invaded the Capitol to overturn an election they didn't like.

Perhaps I am being overly optimistic, but I believe if it truly happened there would be more that would defend our country. I think hypotheticals are just that

Further disheartening is that the youngest Americans, those ages 18-34 and most physically capable, were even less likely to stay and fight. Only 45% said they would remain, while 48 percent would flee.

Comparatively, two-thirds of the 50-to-64-year-old cohort said they would remain.

What, that they are less prone to meaningless chest thumping?

Nobody really knows what they’d do until and unless they are actually put in that situation. It is laughably easy to brag on about what a glorious fighter you’d make when you know there’s no actual risk involved.

Impossible poll, too many variables.

Who is attacking? As in, who would "rule" if "we" lost? As in, what would actually change? What humans desire above all else is continuity and comfort.

If we were invaded I'd be looking for every rifle and pistol I could fine. Hell yes I'd fight for this country. **** all the trumpist shitstains who say otherwise. Would I be good? Doubful. I'd likely be dead before the weekend. But I'd die fighting.

They are hopeful, too.

I FEEL like the results of the poll are wrong.

What, that they are less prone to meaningless chest thumping?

Nobody really knows what they’d do until and unless they are actually put in that situation. It is laughably easy to brag on about what a glorious fighter you’d make when you know there’s no actual risk involved.

I don't see any chest bumping going it.

My father was far more left than me. When Pearl Harbor was bombed, he enlisted in the Army the next day, Monday, Dec 8, 1941.

It's a mistake to think conservatives are more patriotic than liberals. No liberals invaded the Capitol to overturn an election they didn't like.
Nice strawman

I have the same opinion as I have about the the colddeadhandsers: sure; probably going to killed by the professionals real quick, but we have good local knowledge, I'm a mountaineer who used to compete in orienteering, we're armed and have friends and kin in the sticks. We could do some hurt before getting greasespotted. But, it's super likely we'd be corpsified.

Thing is, the US would never be in the situation Ukraine is in....so it is a rather dumb question.

When push comes to shove, most people would attempt in some way to repel an invader, but they don't know before it happens.

Thing is, the US would never be in the situation Ukraine is in....so it is a rather dumb question.

When push comes to shove, most people would attempt in some way to repel an invader, but they don't know before it happens.
Actually the US has been in the situation that Ukraine is in.

Of course, the US started the war which resulted in foreign troops (in appreciable numbers) actually counter-attacking into American territory. (And that was a war where all of the American grievances had been resolved before the US declared war and invaded the other country. [Well, OK, so the US government didn't know that the grievances had already been resolved until six weeks after it declared war, but the US didn't stop the war for another 18+ months.])

In that war, the American troops frequently refused to fight because their "enlistment contract" didn't require them to do so.

Washingtons Burn Day.JPG

Does the above give you a clue?

If the US itself was invaded, that says a lot about how this hypothetical war is going

From the poll.

"8. If you were in the same position as Ukrainians are now, do you think
that you would stay and fight or leave the country?"

Not sure that I would have a choice.

Yes, but not quite directly what it says. What it says is: that is how they are encouraged to view themselves.

They are hopeful, too.

Some would but, as we see with the overall response to Ukraine, the VAST majority of Americans would sit around with their thumbs up their asses waiting for the government to send them a stimulus check. I mean, if America was attacked by a nuclear power the LAST thing we'd want to do is defend ourselves because that might piss the attacker off and start a nuclear war.

The same kind of thinking that is preventing meaningful assistance to Ukraine is the kind of thinking that is causing crime spikes in so many cities across this nation...and it's INTENTIONAL!!! The Democrats WANT everyone to be dependent on government and in fear of their neighbors. They want us all to be that way because creating, expanding and encouraging dependence on government is the only way they can see to remain in power.

Actually the US has been in the situation that Ukraine is in.

Of course, the US started the war which resulted in foreign troops (in appreciable numbers) actually counter-attacking into American territory. (And that was a war where all of the American grievances had been resolved before the US declared war and invaded the other country. [Well, OK, so the US government didn't know that the grievances had already been resolved until six weeks after it declared war, but the US didn't stop the war for another 18+ months.])

In that war, the American troops frequently refused to fight because their "enlistment contract" didn't require them to do so.

Does the above give you a clue?
That only happened because of a superior force being next door in what is Canada today and it was 200 freaking years ago....

Sorry but ain't happening in 2022 with Canada or from Mexico. And if you think that Putin would suprise the US by invading Alaska, then you got to tell what brand weed you smoking.

Back
Top Bottom