• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Would a US President in prison be given Secret Service protection?

boxedin

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Theoretically speaking, if any US President were to be convicted of a crime after leaving office and subsequently sentenced to serve time in prison, would the Secret Service protect that ex-President while locked up? Theoretically speaking of course... :confused:

Asking for a friend?

:mrgreen:

Some presidents break all sorts of norms, this would be another I suppose.

Theoretically speaking, if any US President were to be convicted of a crime after leaving office and subsequently sentenced to serve time in prison, would the Secret Service protect that ex-President while locked up? Theoretically speaking of course... :confused:

No stick Trump in general population too like the crook he is.

Trump would have to work his own protection out.......think he would join a Boogaloo gang?

Let's say this is about Trump (not saying it is)...he'd pretty much have the Aryan Brotherhood protecting him.

I don't know. I hope we soon find out though.

Putting a former president in prison would be causus belli for a civil war

Is civil war all conservatives masterbate over. Jesus Christ.

I dunno it seems to be the left who loves LARPing the French Revolution

What would be your cause? Putting a criminal in prison? That's the hill rednecks want to die on?

What would be your cause? Putting a criminal in prison? That's the hill rednecks want to die on?

As a hypothetical, if a legit civil war was going to break out over the issue, would you be willing to drop the issue and not have Trump in prison? What peace concessions would you make?

Because one any charges against Trump would be purely partisan and likely not even true, but second the message you’re sending to have the country is that their voice doesn’t matter.

Right now I’m reading Stanley Payne’s biography of General Franco and I’m at the part where the actual military rebellion begins against the Republic and the funny thing is, Azaña completely ignored any complaints conservatives had but once the rebellion was underway he was willing to compromise, well then it’s too late.

So I’m saying I think putting Trump in prison will result in violence and if you think that should happen it means you want people to die for your political revenge

I doubt any civil war would be a handful of red necks. There’s a large professional apparatus of Trump supporters with money and the means to broadcast propaganda as well.

Yes. They would probably have something similar to country club solitary confinement. I think they would have to be impeached before they would even consider not protecting them.

No. There are special federal supermax prisons where people like Trump would go. Not for their protection but because they pose a serious risk to national security. Trump would probably be bound for some deep dark hole in ADX Florence.

I wonder how many Secret Service agents would volunteer to live in a prison?

Because one any charges against Trump would be purely partisan and likely not even true, but second the message you’re sending to have the country is that their voice doesn’t matter.

Obviously any case against Trump would have to be pretty much rock solid. I just don't see any prosecutor going after charges for purely partisan purposes. However the age old adage "no one is above the law" is something that almost all US citizens-- except many Trump supporters-- believe strongly. Trump and many of his associates are dirty.

The Southern District of NY (SDNY) is digging into decades of corruption that might otherwise not have gotten as much attention were he not president. Thes hush money payments to prostitutes is the least of his legal problems. Don't forget that phony University scam, monies stolen from his inauguration, flagrant lies on tax returns, money laundering schemes with overseas banks, illegal contributions with a Pro-Trump super PAC, the Trump Foundation (AG statement that it involved a “shocking pattern of illegality"), numerous emoluments offenses, and on, and on, and on. By far the most corrupt administration in recent US history.

Going to be kinda' hard for him to bluster his way out of all that.

My personal opinion, an opinion shared by many others, is that he did not ever want to be President in the first place. Now that he's in, he'd prefer to not get reelected (too hard a job) but rather lose and play the victim card. Believing in hs delusional mind that he really won save for all the voter fraud.

HOWEVER, if he's out, there's the SDNY waiting for him! Mr. Rock? Meet Mr Hard Place.

Obviously any case against Trump would have to be pretty much rock solid. I just don't see any prosecutor going after charges for purely partisan purposes. However the age old adage "no one is above the law" is something that almost all US citizens-- except many Trump supporters-- believe strongly. Trump and many of his associates are dirty.

The Southern District of NY (SDNY) is digging into decades of corruption that might otherwise not have gotten as much attention were he not president. Thes hush money payments to prostitutes is the least of his legal problems. Don't forget that phony University scam, monies stolen from his inauguration, flagrant lies on tax returns, money laundering schemes with overseas banks, illegal contributions with a Pro-Trump super PAC, the Trump Foundation (AG statement that it involved a “shocking pattern of illegality"), numerous emoluments offenses, and on, and on, and on. By far the most corrupt administration in recent US history.

Going to be kinda' hard for him to bluster his way out of all that.

My personal opinion, an opinion shared by many others, is that he did not ever want to be President in the first place. Now that he's in, he'd prefer to not get reelected (too hard a job) but rather lose and play the victim card. Believing in hs delusional mind that he really won save for all the voter fraud.

HOWEVER, if he's out, there's the SDNY waiting for him! Mr. Rock? Meet Mr Hard Place.

And such a thing would be the death of the constitutional order.

I mean it’s already dead, but there would be no more denial in that case.

I think at that point a civil war would be inevitable. The political uproar would be too much to ignore

And such a thing would be the death of the constitutional order.

I mean it’s already dead, but there would be no more denial in that case.

I think at that point a civil war would be inevitable. The political uproar would be too much to ignore

You're saying that even in the event of clear, irrefutable evidence of a serious criminal offense that Trump could never be indicted out of fear of a civil war? What exactly would this civil war look like?? His followers have that much power in the entire United States that fear of what they might do would somehow protect him? That's a pretty frightening thought.

But I wouldn't worry in the least about that ever happening however. No one is above the law.

So maybe we have to have another civil war.

I mean, if you guys really can't tolerate the rule of law.

As a hypothetical, if a legit civil war was going to break out over the issue, would you be willing to drop the issue and not have Trump in prison?

As a point of principle, no.

We are either a republic bound by laws or we are not.

And if we're not, there's nothing special about the USA and nobody will care what happens to it.

No. There are special federal supermax prisons where people like Trump would go. Not for their protection but because they pose a serious risk to national security. Trump would probably be bound for some deep dark hole in ADX Florence.

Or he'd just fall down the stairs at some point in his trial. I am sure there are a lot of people who would do whatever it took to shut him up.

Back
Top Bottom