• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would a truly 100% free market work?

• Total voters

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

I'm talking 100% FREE, no regulation whatsoever.

In theory, as if we started that way and kept it that way. Going back to that extreme would be pretty much impossible now, so this discussion is in theory only.

Of course not. Embracing any ideology blindly and fully without considering the ramifications is foolish.

And in the end, the only difference between a fully communist society and a fully free market society is whether the guy who rules over you is called a "Premier" or a "CEO".

No because it would be free of taxation, thus no government to provide currency, courts, other infrastructure or defense.

Yeah, that's a thing. For some people, "work" seems to mean "never produce a result I don't like, ever."

It's hard and easy to answer this question.
Does a market work, regardless of the regulatory circumstances, I guess my answer is yes.
There are obviously some exceptions, like depletion and/or an impossible to penetrate barrier.

In this context it appears to be shorthand for would X 'work out' as in would X 'have a good or specified result'.

Work out to what though?

If you have to ask, you're answer is 'no'.

Is "work" a personal preference or is it being used as a synonym for "operate."

In theory, as if we started that way and kept it that way. Going back to that extreme would be pretty much impossible now, so this discussion is in theory only.

Nash Equilibrium's say no.

Laissez-faire? No, that gets captured by monopoly and oligarchy quite readily. We've run that experiment, seen where it ended. But I don't believe laissez-faire can be called "free market". I believe the free market, like the free state, requires a small and proper amount of government oversight and regulation to preserve. Of course, the rub is always determining what that small and proper amount really is.

No. Things like unrestrained monopolies will occur in an unregulated system.

Why are we debating this "theory"?

The question is whether or not a government would even exist under a 100% free market, as some anarchocapitalists have suggested. Never mind the fact that you need a government to decide who owns what, you would also have essentially no way of providing services like transportation and education to society's worst off.

The question is whether or not a government would even exist under a 100% free market, as some anarchocapitalists have suggested. Never mind the fact that you need a government to decide who owns what, you would also have essentially no way of providing services like transportation and education to society's worst off.
Theoretically, government could still exist to record documents and keep things like ownership straight and orderly.

You are correct that there would be no government provided services such as transportation or education.

That government which governs best, governs least.

Maybe some government is necessary but, the POLICE STATE of the right and the Nanny State of the left????

Why are we debating this "theory"?

To demonstrate the validity of MASSIVE government intrusion....er....regulation of markets. What else? :roll:

A 100% free market would allow you to trade human beings. And for that reason, I'm out.

"Work" to/for the betterment of everyone?

Yeah, that's a thing. For some people, "work" seems to mean "never produce a result I don't like, ever."

Like our "president."

Like our "president."

If so, so what? What possible purpose could you have in saying this to me? And what does it have to do with the topic?

Back
Top Bottom