• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would a Robin-Hood style tax be good?

Would it be good?

• Yes

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • No

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Other

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters
Your $2K annual allowance (like the “Fair tax” prebate?) has just greatly complicated that ‘simple’ taxation method. That annual “exemption” (at each possible point of sale?) idea would require a national ‘buyer ID’ database (with each seller having online access to it) to implement.

Social security already has most of us in its data base. Require everyone who wants the exemption to apply for a social security card. Keep track of it through that system. Purchasers insert a card into a reader just like they do now with credit cards.

Should we take form the rich and give to the poor?

Using the confiscatory powers of the government to "steal money from those who earned it and give it to those who did not is extremely immoral!

Social security already has most of us in its data base. Require everyone who wants the exemption to apply for a social security card. Keep track of it through that system. Purchasers insert a card into a reader just like they do now with credit cards.

Hmm... what could possibly go wrong with a national ID card requirement in order to get a tax break. BTW, who supplies each provider of (taxable) goods/services with equipment necessary to access to that national ID database?

Hmm... what could possibly go wrong with a national ID card requirement in order to get a tax break. BTW, who supplies each provider of (taxable) goods/services with equipment necessary to access to that national ID database?

It's not an ID card. It's more like a credit card. Most businesses already have card readers.

The tax system in this country, starting in the early 80's under Reagan, has specifically and purposefully benefited the riches 1%. It is the largest transfer of wealth in the history of any nation on earth. So yes, reverting back to even Reagan era taxation would be beneficial to the vast majority of americans, who have been hindered by the welfare handouts the rich have received over the past 40 years.
As a tax payer since the early 70's, I will say you are wrong.

yes I did

Post #s and an explanation, or it didn't happen. I already scoured the entire thread once, and nothing you posted actually comes close to living up to your billing.

As a tax payer since the early 70's, I will say you are wrong.
well, the data we have over the past 40 years shows that I am correct...................

Post #s and an explanation, or it didn't happen. I already scoured the entire thread once, and nothing you posted actually comes close to living up to your billing.
no obligation to do any such thing. I've already posted it. You are free to use the search function.

Using the confiscatory powers of the government to "steal money from those who earned it and give it to those who did not is extremely immoral!
It is the way every country works

no obligation to do any such thing. I've already posted it. You are free to use the search function.

I did, and there's nothing there. You're lying.

well, the data we have over the past 40 years shows that I am correct...................
I would concur if the global market field was the same now as it was in the early 70's. With globalization, tax corporations higher, they move to countries with lower taxes. To get tax revenue back from them, we have to lower tax rates enough to make it so they want to come back here. This applies to people of wealth too, who can shelter their money in foreign banks. If we want to tax they money, we have to entice them with lower taxes than other counties offer.

A smaller percentage of a large amount of money, greatly exceeds a high percentage of nothing!

I can't believe the static thinking the left has. Things are dynamic. One change creates changes in other areas.

I would concur if the global market field was the same now as it was in the early 70's. With globalization, tax corporations higher, they move to countries with lower taxes. To get tax revenue back from them, we have to lower tax rates enough to make it so they want to come back here. This applies to people of wealth too, who can shelter their money in foreign banks. If we want to tax they money, we have to entice them with lower taxes than other counties offer.

A smaller percentage of a large amount of money, greatly exceeds a high percentage of nothing!

I can't believe the static thinking the left has. Things are dynamic. One change creates changes in other areas.
Except this is not the case. Supply side economic policies is what led to this. Our corporate tax rates are not even remotely close to being high.

It is the way every country works

That's right....but at some point it becomes excessive and goes from funding the operation of government ...to taking money from those who earned it and giving it to those who did not....and that is wrong!

There is of course a better way....The Fair Tax!

Except this is not the case. Supply side economic policies is what led to this. Our corporate tax rates are not even remotely close to being high.
Believe as you wish.

"A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

"A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw
That's well understood by democrats, and the key reason why they keep the blacks on their plantation, and other poor people. And continue to make policies that keep them poor.

That's right....but at some point it becomes excessive and goes from funding the operation of government ...to taking money from those who earned it and giving it to those who did not....and that is wrong!

There is of course a better way....The Fair Tax!
No country on earth operates with a fair tax system either

That's well understood by democrats, and the key reason why they keep the blacks on their plantation, and other poor people. And continue to make policies that keep them poor.
Then why do black people vote Democrat?

I'm ashamed to admit it but most of the people in my extended family are dyed-in-the-wool democrats and support government's redistribution of wealth.

I want to explain to them that redistribution of wealth is not a legitimate function of government, but that would create a lot of bad feelings. So we keep our mouths shut at family get-togethers.

Back
Top Bottom