• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Would a $billion aid to earthquake victims buy US more security ?

Would a $billion aid to earthquake victims buy US more security ?

• More security spent on earthquake aid

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • More security spent on Iraq war

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
Kelzie said:
You people suck. I've been saying the same thing for ten god damn pages, but when gunny says it you role over and lick his boots. Which tells me if I'm either a) a guy or b) a veteran, you'll listen to anything I say.

Well, which is it?

Because you didn't say what he said. He's arguing from "enlightened self-interest", you're saying SCREW ALL THAT, HELP THE DAMN PEOPLE!!!

Your walking down the street and come across a guy pinned under his car that fell on him while changing a tire. Are you morally obligated to help him? In my world yes. Then what difference does a line on a map make? We are America. We can do all these things and not miss Desperate Housewives. If you say no we shouldn't, that's fine too. You can vote for someone who shares your view. Pat Buchanan comes to mind.

Originally posted by teacher:
Nothing new there.

What if Iraq ends up being a peaceful democratic nation that doesn't beat their women with sticks and we are able to pull our troops out? Will it have been worth it? And we damn sure better get a good price on oil. We always talk about a never ending quagmire, what if it works? And why don't we ever debate that? What if everything I think we are trying to do there comes to pass? Wonder what camel tastes like?
If it works, we won't need to debate it. It will speak for itself. Which is good. If it works. Right now I'm a little concerned about my nation getting off coarse from what it is. Which was a nation that accomplished more in 200 years than any other nation only to have it disrespected and trashed via some weird morphing from the TV generation. I hate to say it, because I am one myself, but the baby boomers suck at politics. The best thing were good at, is surfing and making beer bongs.

We have our diamonds in the rough. Like Edison, MLK and stsburns (just seeing if your paying attention).

We get carried away sometimes with our nationality. Its good to have. And one should give back to their country. But some time should be spent realizing that we all are part of a human race that has no borders but just one planet.

Which reminds me, I saw this women the other day that was so fat, she had other women orbiting around her.

Billo_Really said:
What happened to everybody? Where did you all go? I'm so lonely!

cant speak for everyone, but you scared me off the internet last night
when you went seriously homo with the group hug thing :mrgreen:

teacher said:
Your walking down the street and come across a guy pinned under his car that fell on him while changing a tire. Are you morally obligated to help him? In my world yes. Then what difference does a line on a map make? We are America. We can do all these things and not miss Desperate Housewives. If you say no we shouldn't, that's fine too. You can vote for someone who shares your view. Pat Buchanan comes to mind.

Okay, lets move this to the real world.

Do we have a jack to lift the car? If we don't is it wise to risk a hernia trying to manhandle it improperly? That potential cost should be weighed into the decision.

Would immediate assistance of that nature cause more harm than good? ie, perhaps the weight of the car is pinching his femoral artery and preventing the victim from bleeding to death. Africa is an entire continent of basket cases dying from too much outside help.

Is the trapped man a friend, who's helped us in the past?

Is he someone we could trust to treat us decently after we help him, or would he try to hold us up for money later, or sue us, or even start a fight?

Is he an enemy? Has he harmed us in the past? Is he harboring enemies of ours now, or has done so before? Is he an active threat and we'd be better off if he was dead?

Those are just and proper questions in the real world. There's no strangers in foreign relations. We know who Pakistan is, where they stand in our current conflict, and how reliable they are. And because we know this, we should expect to get some quo for our quid, when dealing with them.

Bin Laden's head on a bayonet would be a fine quo.

====

On another path, how about if the United States established a disaster insurance plan, and we'd help nations that bought policies from us for particular types of disasters?

India could buy typhoon, earthquake, drought, and famine insurance, for instance, and other nations could do the same. We'd charge premiums, and that way we'd not be dinged as badly when their incompetence led them to beg for help when their particular national disasters strike them.

And if anyone's worried, we can put the money in the same safe and secure lockbox our social security money is kept in. :roll:

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Okay, lets move this to the real world.

Do we have a jack to lift the car? If we don't is it wise to risk a hernia trying to manhandle it improperly? That potential cost should be weighed into the decision.

Would immediate assistance of that nature cause more harm than good? ie, perhaps the weight of the car is pinching his femoral artery and preventing the victim from bleeding to death. Africa is an entire continent of basket cases dying from too much outside help.

Is the trapped man a friend, who's helped us in the past?

Is he someone we could trust to treat us decently after we help him, or would he try to hold us up for money later, or sue us, or even start a fight?

Is he an enemy? Has he harmed us in the past? Is he harboring enemies of ours now, or has done so before? Is he an active threat and we'd be better off if he was dead?

Those are just and proper questions in the real world. There's no strangers in foreign relations. We know who Pakistan is, where they stand in our current conflict, and how reliable they are. And because we know this, we should expect to get some quo for our quid, when dealing with them.

Bin Laden's head on a bayonet would be a fine quo.

====

On another path, how about if the United States established a disaster insurance plan, and we'd help nations that bought policies from us for particular types of disasters?

India could buy typhoon, earthquake, drought, and famine insurance, for instance, and other nations could do the same. We'd charge premiums, and that way we'd not be dinged as badly when their incompetence led them to beg for help when their particular national disasters strike them.

And if anyone's worried, we can put the money in the same safe and secure lockbox our social security money is kept in. :roll:

Too late. While you were trying to figure out right from wrong...he died. Your appeasals worked. You didn't have to do anything.:2wave: .....We are talking about Europe aren't we?

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Because you didn't say what he said. He's arguing from "enlightened self-interest", you're saying SCREW ALL THAT, HELP THE DAMN PEOPLE!!!

Um yes. Glad to know you're paying attention. Whereas you're whining like a two year old who wants his mom's attention: "ME!!! ME!!!! MEEEEEE!!!!"

Time to grow up. Sometimes, I know this might scare you a little, you have to do stuff that doesn't help you out. I know, pretty radical, huh? Sometimes, you might have to save a kid even if your shoes get wet. It's called humanity. It's what, by the way, seperates us from the animals. At least some of us.

Kelzie said:
Um yes. Glad to know you're paying attention. Whereas you're whining like a two year old who wants his mom's attention: "ME!!! ME!!!! MEEEEEE!!!!"

Time to grow up. Sometimes, I know this might scare you a little, you have to do stuff that doesn't help you out. I know, pretty radical, huh? Sometimes, you might have to save a kid even if your shoes get wet. It's called humanity. It's what, by the way, seperates us from the animals. At least some of us.

i beg to differ. i have seen reports of numerous animal species helping out others. i.e. a dog taking in a kitten when it is orphaned

hope you weren't too bent last night ;) :2razz:

Kelzie said:
Time to grow up. Sometimes, I know this might scare you a little, you have to do stuff that doesn't help you out.

You got a gun or something? Then what's thie "have to" business?

I think this is a gift from God.

We help those poor folks in Paki. and we gain some real friends there, Bush knows this, this is why he held the special press conf.

DeeJayH said:
i beg to differ. i have seen reports of numerous animal species helping out others. i.e. a dog taking in a kitten when it is orphaned

hope you weren't too bent last night ;) :2razz:

That is true...guess some animals are more "human" than humans, eh? :lol:

If I was bent about anything, it was that my server was down for 20 hours. Not really your fault though...or is it? :shock:

Kelzie said:
That is true...guess some animals are more "human" than humans, eh? :lol:

without a doubt

Kelzie said:
If I was bent about anything, it was that my server was down for 20 hours. Not really your fault though...or is it? :shock:

i think it was the trojan :lol:

DeeJayH said:
i think it was the trojan :lol:

No just a crappy server. Seriously, what takes 20 hours to fix?!?

:eek:t

This is a serious thread, 40,000 people may have lost their lives.:roll:

Deegan said:
:eek:t

This is a serious thread, 40,000 people may have lost their lives.:roll:

Calm down. Take a minute to pull out the pantyhose wedgy.

And where were you last night when I was trying to argue that we shouldn't ransom their lives?

OT happens. Life goes on. Including yours, I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom