• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Worst US President? *

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Worst US President? *

*-Not named Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, or Obama. The actions of these five are too fresh to be accurately judged. Their actions are still shaking out and history will eventually put them in their proper place.

1) FDR
2) Wilson

I am torn between Franklin Pierce or James Buchanan.

Lincoln destroyed the tenth

FDR probably did more damage to the American way.

Carter definitely the weakest President of the Twentieth Century.

Andrew Jackson

Wilson, FDR, Carter, Jackson......in that order from worst, to horrible but not worst.

Honoring the OP statement, Obama will wedge himself between Wilson and FDR though, given time.

Woodrow Wilson, hands down.

He created the "government behind the government"...the Federal Reserve, and eventually the I.R.S.
He was the first true shill for unionized labor.
His Sedition Act of 1918 was a blatant and tyrannical way to choke free speech from people.
He was an open racist and fascist. He wanted dictatorial control over the country.

Some of his more "colorful" quotes:

"A “true leader” uses the masses of people like “tools.”
“Government does now whatever experience permits or the times demand….”
“The President is at liberty, both in law and conscience, to be as big a man as he can. His capacity will set the limit….”

I like the question but I truly feel it would be better for us to answer the question based on the Presidents we do know...rather than the ones we don't.

Ronald Reagan is a classic example ......I don't remember a president as great when he was alive as he is today (via the right wing spin machine) now that he's dead!
I remember Iran Contra, cut and run after 241 dead marines in Beirut, propping up PW Botha and Apartheid ....and the list continues.

So the things you "think" you know about those presidents when there were no internet ...with many illerates in the country .... because you read some book ....can be far far from the truth!!

Look at Bush .....your grand kids are going to read about some kind of hero who saved Iraq ...when you and I are dead ...there are $Millions of out there to ensure his history is re-written!!

I like the question but I truly feel it would be better for us to answer the question based on the Presidents we do know...rather than the ones we don't.

Ronald Reagan is a classic example ......I don't remember a president as great when he was alive as he is today (via the right wing spin machine) now that he's dead!
I remember Iran Contra, cut and run after 241 dead marines in Beirut, propping up PW Botha and Apartheid ....and the list continues.

So the things you "think" you know about those presidents when there were no internet ...with many illerates in the country .... because you read some book ....can be far far from the truth!!

Look at Bush .....your grand kids are going to read about some kind of hero who saved Iraq ...when you and I are dead ...there are $Millions of out there to ensure his history is re-written!!
Quite the opposite. Many of the things we get so worked up about at the moment, are forgotten in history precisely because they weren't all that important or remarkable in the grand scheme of things. History tends to remember the things that actually did have a lasting impact.

Plus, when attempting to rate current or recent people we tend to place too much bias on our own biases, where history allows us to step back and be a little more objective.

do you remember what it was like the 4 years before Reagan? It seems you are glossing over far worse times.

Quite the opposite. Many of the things we get so worked up about at the moment, are forgotten in history precisely because they weren't all that important or remarkable in the grand scheme of things. History tends to remember the things that actually did have a lasting impact.

Plus, when attempting to rate current or recent people we tend to place too much bias on our own biases, where history allows us to step back and be a little more objective.
Oops. I meant "too much emphasis on our own biases".

Back
Top Bottom