• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Worldwide Protests mark Iraq war's third anniversary

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I think the Bush administration is in it's in last throes.

Protests mark Iraq war's third anniversary
Demonstrators take to streets in cities around the world

NEW YORK (AP) -- Thousands of anti-war protesters took to the streets around the world Saturday, marking the third anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq with demands that coalition troops leave immediately.

Waleed Bader of the Arab Muslim American Federation addressed a crowd in Times Square from a flatbed truck parked near a recruiting station, which was guarded by police.

"We say enough hypocrisy, enough lies, our soldiers must come home now," Bader said. Participants chanted, "Stop the U.S. war machine, from Iraq to Korea to the Philippines."

In Concord, New Hampshire, nearly 300 peace activists marched about a mile from a National Guard Armory to the Statehouse.

"I feel a huge sense of betrayal that I went and risked my life for a lie," said Joseph Turcott, 26, a former Marine who served in the invasion...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/03/18/iraq.protests.ap/index.html

KidRocks said:
I think the Bush administration is in it's in last throes.

Protests mark Iraq war's third anniversary
Demonstrators take to streets in cities around the world

NEW YORK (AP) -- Thousands of anti-war protesters took to the streets around the world Saturday, marking the third anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq with demands that coalition troops leave immediately.

Waleed Bader of the Arab Muslim American Federation addressed a crowd in Times Square from a flatbed truck parked near a recruiting station, which was guarded by police.

"We say enough hypocrisy, enough lies, our soldiers must come home now," Bader said. Participants chanted, "Stop the U.S. war machine, from Iraq to Korea to the Philippines."

In Concord, New Hampshire, nearly 300 peace activists marched about a mile from a National Guard Armory to the Statehouse.

"I feel a huge sense of betrayal that I went and risked my life for a lie," said Joseph Turcott, 26, a former Marine who served in the invasion...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/03/18/iraq.protests.ap/index.html
It'd be nice if his facist regime were in thier final days. Fact is though it's far from such. Protests against this administration as well as all other expressions that are contrary to them are classed as terrorist organisations and shut up one way or another. Then there's setting the fanatical neo-cons dogs such as Fox news to completely discredit these patriots or call them anti-american, america haters and other bull$hit. Is this what it means to be the leader of the freeworld?
I say they're nothing but a bunch of cowards.

Anti-War Anniversary Protests a Bust

In Australia... Saturday's protest of 500 people was small compared to the mass demonstrations that swept across the country in the buildup to the invasion — the largest Australia had seen since joining U.S. forces in the Vietnam War.

A demonstrator holding anti-war signs marches in a peaceful protest in Sydney, Australia, Saturday, March 18, 2006. Around 500 protesters marched through central Sydney on the anti-war rally, marking the third anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq with a demand that coalition troops pull out. (AP Photo/Andrew Caballero-Reynolds)

In London... Authorities shut down streets in the heart of London's shopping and theater district for the demonstration, which organizers had predicted would attract up to 100,000 people, but police estimated the crowd was about 15,000 people.

London protesters were upset with remarks by British defence secretary John Reid who said that "the crowd ought to be supporting the United Nations and the Iraqi people rather than protesting."

U.S. citizens march to Navona Square in central Rome March 18, 2006 in a demonstration marking the third anniversary since the invasion of Iraq. (Reuters)

In Tokyo... About 2,000 people rallied in a downtown park, carrying signs saying "Stop the Occupation" as they listened to a series of anti-war speeches.

In Sweden... about 1,000 demonstrators gathered for a rally in Stockholm before a march to the U.S. Embassy.

In Greece... about 600 demonstrators marched through central Athens to the U.S. embassy, where protesters chanted "Stop the War now," and "American killers get out of Iraq."

In Berlin... About 700 protesters marched peacefully through an inner-city district during a rally, police said.

In Austria... protesters marching through Vienna — about 200 by police estimates — chanted "Freedom, freedom for Iraq and Palestine," as they made their way to the U.S. embassy.

On the sidewalk near New York's Times Square. (Reuters)

The War Resisters League is planning a protest today in New York City.

30 high scloolers protested in Coldwater, Michigan. With the signs saying such things as "Fight poverty, not war" and "Get out of Iraq, now," one particularly interesting one said "War is so 20th century."

Source.

They may be taking to the streets, but so far, it doesn't sound like there are enough of them to block traffic on a two-lane country road.

oldreliable67 said:
Source.

They may be taking to the streets, but so far, it doesn't sound like there are enough of them to block traffic on a two-lane country road.
That's not the relevance. Do you not admit that this administration is doing things very very very wrong?

jfuh said:
That's not the relevance.

Yes it is, if that's all they could muster they aren't very relevent.

Do you not admit that this administration is doing things very very very wrong?

Since thye aren't there is noting of the sort to admit. Do you admit that everyday we find more and more evidence of just how dangerous Saddam and his regeim were proving that the Iraqi Liberation Act was justified?

The police were out of hand at my protest in Pittsburgh. The police were in full riot gear, agents were spying from the local roof, and there was a helicopter overhead the whole time.

It seemed like they were definitely trying to intimidate us. The ACLU Pittsburgh uncovered the fact that the FBI had spied on our group, The Thomas Merton Center - (a peaceful group) in 2002.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• fbi-spy-edit.jpg
    fbi-spy-edit.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 9
  • crowd-shot.jpg
    crowd-shot.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 10
  • police.jpg
    police.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 12
  • horses-edit.jpg
    horses-edit.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 10
alphamale said:
The protests are wayyyyy down in numbers from the start of the war.

Where are you getting your figures from? How about a link.

Our event in Pittsburgh was maybe 5% smaller than last year, but it was also freezing cold, as opposed to a 50 degree day in 05.

Last edited:
Stinger said:
Since thye aren't there is noting of the sort to admit. Do you admit that everyday we find more and more evidence of just how dangerous Saddam and his regeim were proving that the Iraqi Liberation Act was justified?
They aren't? Bush has never erred? Can we say, bullshit?
There is no proof whatsoever. In fact it seems contrary to what you blindly believe. Seems that Saddam had a better idea of how to control the populice then the Bush regime does now.

Stinger said:
Yes it is, if that's all they could muster they aren't very relevent.
You're own statement seems to be very contradictory. First you say yes it is, then you say "they aren't very relevant" which is it?

The relevance is not the number of protesters today, but the fact that even 3 years since the initial invasion there are still thousands of protesters against this war around the world.

alphamale said:
The protests are wayyyyy down in numbers from the start of the war.
They may be wayyyyy down, however they are still protesting even after 3 years in the thousands. That in itself says something.

jfuh said:
That's not the relevance. Do you not admit that this administration is doing things very very very wrong?

Actually, it is 'the relevance'. kid hyped up this 'day of demonstrations' as if the streets are being overrun with protestors, when that was apparently far from the reality.

Do I 'admit this adiminstration is doing things very wrong'? Nope, not with respect to Iraq and ME policies. I have problems with the Bush administration in some other areas, but not this one. At least, not so far. Have mistakes been made? Sure. No conflict of any magnitude has ever been fought without disagreements and mistakes. But are we doing the right thing, are we going in the right direction? Yes, I believe we are.

Last edited:
oldreliable67 said:
Actually, it is 'the relevance'. kid hyped up this 'day of demonstrations' as if the streets are being overrun with protestors, when that was apparently far from the reality.
I'll agree kid did start the thread out of "over-reaction"

oldreliable67 said:
Do I 'admit this adiminstration is doing things very wrong'? Nope, not with respect to Iraq and ME policies.
No agreement here. I think all the decisions made by this administration with regards to ME policies have been in nothing but for the benefit of thier bosses at big oil and haliburton.

oldreliable67 said:
Have mistakes been made? Sure. No conflict of any magnitude has ever been fought without disagreements and mistakes.
I don't agree with this assesment. I don't believe that it's simple disagreement over the conflict itself, but more so of the faulty intelligence and push for war in Iraq that I have a problem with.

oldreliable67 said:
But are we doing the right thing, are we going in the right direction? Yes, I believe we are.
Before we go into any long drawn out "argument" over this, let me first make clear that I was a great supporter for going to war for both Afganista and Iraq. I still am for going to Afganistan, however with what I have learnt with regards to going into Iraq I can not support it.
Do I believe that the US should be involved with IRaq, absolutely, but not at the cost of loosing all credibility and disgrace that has come out for going there. That being the continued ignoring of contrary evidence as well as denial of any mistakes made (I point at the fact that not enough troops were sent over to secure the nation upon the end of major operations).

In my observation, with the exception of a very few anti-war groups, MOST of these protests consist of trouble making anarchists who are out just to be violent and cause trouble. If I were a liberal protesting the war, I would make very clear that these trouble making anarchists are not welcomed and should not be around. Its giving all anti-war protesters a bad name.

All protests should be peaceful otherwise you are defeating the purpose.

AngryAmerican said:
In my observation, with the exception of a very few anti-war groups, MOST of these protests consist of trouble making anarchists who are out just to be violent and cause trouble. If I were a liberal protesting the war, I would make very clear that these trouble making anarchists are not welcomed and should not be around. Its giving all anti-war protesters a bad name.

All protests should be peaceful otherwise you are defeating the purpose.

We had between 1,000 and 2,000 marching yesterday. Of that, about 10, I would guess, were "anarchists". No big deal - they were loud but harmless, as they have been in the past.

jfuh said:
They aren't? Bush has never erred? Can we say, bullshit?

Well since that was not what you said.............and can the language, it's childish.

There is no proof whatsoever. In fact it seems contrary to what you blindly believe. Seems that Saddam had a better idea of how to control the populice then the Bush regime does now.

Actually there is lots of proof and more and more gets discovered everyday. He was a threat as far as WMD, he was a threat as far as aiding and abetting terrorist and in particular OBL. Oh and Saddam had very good control over his populace, summary execution and using WMD on them gets you very good control.

jfuh said:
You're own statement seems to be very contradictory. First you say yes it is, then you say "they aren't very relevant" which is it?

Once again showing a lack of reading skills, go back and read again. You said the numbers weren't relevent, I said the fact that the small numbers made THEIR protest irrelevent is a RELEVENT item.

The relevance is not the number of protesters today,

For this subject is most certainly is.

but the fact that even 3 years since the initial invasion there are still thousands of protesters against this war around the world.

Out of billions around the world.............the numbers reflect thier irrelevency.

jfuh said:
They may be wayyyyy down, however they are still protesting even after 3 years in the thousands. That in itself says something.

What does it say? Nothing, these are die hard anti-war protestors, they would be protesting WW2 in it's 5th year.

Stinger said:
Well since that was not what you said.............and can the language, it's childish.
I treat childish people the very way they deserve to be treated.

Stinger said:
Actually there is lots of proof and more and more gets discovered everyday.
Lie

Stinger said:
He was a threat as far as WMD, he was a threat as far as aiding and abetting terrorist and in particular OBL.
More lieing

Stinger said:
Oh and Saddam had very good control over his populace, summary execution and using WMD on them gets you very good control.
I wasn't aware he was using WMD right before he was toppled. Perhaps you care to enlighted us all on that with a source.

Stinger said:
Once again showing a lack of reading skills, go back and read again. You said the numbers weren't relevent, I said the fact that the small numbers made THEIR protest irrelevent is a RELEVENT item.

For this subject is most certainly is.

Out of billions around the world.............the numbers reflect thier irrelevency.
:rofl Very funny, this coming from someone that was bitching about the islamic protests against the cartoons even though they only represented a minority of extreemist muslims.
I guess you take it on yourself then to dictate to the rest of us what is and what isn't relevant; what a crock of bull.

Stinger said:
What does it say? Nothing, these are die hard anti-war protestors, they would be protesting WW2 in it's 5th year.
Have any source to back this juxtaposition up? That these "die hards" would be protesting WWII?
Time to get out of hic country south and into the real world, maybe some decent education would help too.

jfuh said:
No agreement here. I think all the decisions made by this administration with regards to ME policies have been in nothing but for the benefit of thier bosses at big oil and haliburton.

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion. This one, however, smacks of conspiracy theorists and tin-foil hats.

jfuh said:
I don't believe that it's simple disagreement over the conflict itself, but more so of the faulty intelligence and push for war in Iraq that I have a problem with.

Certainly nothing about the ME is 'simple'. The question about 'faulty intelligence' is vexing and disappointing - we would all have preferred to see George Tenet's 'slam dunk' prove at least somewhat more accurate. The performance of the intel community left a lot to be desired, IMO.

jfuh said:
Do I believe that the US should be involved with IRaq, absolutely, but not at the cost of loosing all credibility and disgrace that has come out for going there. That being the continued ignoring of contrary evidence as well as denial of any mistakes made (I point at the fact that not enough troops were sent over to secure the nation upon the end of major operations).

The true legacy of Iraq won't be known for many years to come. Credibility? Disgrace? These are all yet to be seen in the proper context: the success or failure of Iraq to emerge as a country able to stand on its own and govern itself.

I totally agree (as I have pointed out several times on DP) that one of our larger mistakes was poor planning for 'winning the peace'. Our planning and execution was exceptional for the 'warfighting' phase, but has been shown to clearly inadequate for the post-warfighting period.

hipsterdufus said:
The police were out of hand at my protest in Pittsburgh. The police were in full riot gear, agents were spying from the local roof, and there was a helicopter overhead the whole time.

It seemed like they were definitely trying to intimidate us. The ACLU Pittsburgh uncovered the fact that the FBI had spied on our group, The Thomas Merton Center - (a peaceful group) in 2002.

Here are some pics.

Unless you were sprayed with rubber buck shot then I don't think they were quite harsh enough. :2wave:

jfuh said:
:rofl Very funny, this coming from someone that was bitching about the islamic protests against the cartoons even though they only represented a minority of extreemist muslims.
That's extremely funny since I never commented on them, let's see what word is that you like to use so much? LIE.

I guess you take it on yourself then to dictate to the rest of us what is and what isn't relevant; what a crock of bull.
Excpet it was YOU who challenged the post concern how relevent the protestors were considering thier small numbers with YOUR attempt to dictate relevency, get your story straight.

And further to the anti-war protest this thread is about and how the small numbers make them IRRELEVENT.

Anti-war protesters in SLC, elsewhere lament apathy

By the time the war protesters began their march Saturday morning in Salt Lake City, only about 50 people had gathered. Their numbers had swelled to about 200 by noon - and that was with a little high-tech help from a marcher who text-messaged friends to join him.
The early low turnout was discouraging to some, such as Susan Westergard of Holladay.
"There's just about more policemen here than people," said the Democratic candidate for the Utah House of Representatives in District 40, nodding to the squadron of eight motorcycle officers parked alongside 400 South. "I guess the longer the war goes on, the more people accept it."

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gif
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_3618103

If you want to debate the subject then let's have at it, if you want to continue with your childish games and laments I'm not interested.

jfuh said:
I treat childish people the very way they deserve to be treated.

Oh that's an intelligent response. Fact is yes we find out more and more each day especially since his documents and tape recordings are being released.

More lieing

Another well thought out response.

Do you really think you simple assertions pose as debate?

I wasn't aware he was using WMD right before he was toppled. Perhaps you care to enlighted us all on that with a source.

Since I didn't say that why do you make such a misstatement? You have a nasty habit of doing that.

You do admit he did use WMD of his own people don't you? Well that's a very good way of controlling them. And since his own generals thought he had them up to the time we invaded I think it is reasonable to conclude his own peopel did, don't you?

Back
Top Bottom