• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

World's worst dictatorship

What is the worst dictatorship operating in the world today?

• Kim Jong Il (North Korea)

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Ayatollah Ali Khamenei (Iran)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Chinese Communist Party (China)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Robert Mugabe (Zimbabwe)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Omar al-Bashar (Sudan)

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Saudi Royal Family (Saudi Arabia)

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • General Than Shwe (Burma/Myanmar)

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Bashar al-Assad (Syria)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fidel Castro (Cuba)

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters
As the anti-war hippie was doping up and protesting American's attempts to protect the Vitnamese government from the flow of communism, he was creating the 'Ho-Chi Minh Trail'. After years of disent and a lack of conviction for what was right, the American civilian protestor gave Pol Pot his victory. He went on to declare 'Year Zero' and directed a ruthless program to "purify" Cambodian society of capitalism, Western culture, religion and all foreign influences in favor of an isolated and totally self-sufficient Maoist agrarian state. He went on to work or starve to death, and just plain slaughter around 3 million in Cambodia.

Don't you just love the anti-war buffs and their voice for humanity?

GySgt said:
Amazing. Despite, the ethnic cleansings, genocides, legalized rapes, widespread and open torture, mass dissapearences, and pure terror of the worlds wost dictators, some people choose to completely overshadow them by declaring America as the worst, because of their tunnel visioned hate towards the President of the United Sates. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.

Sorry that you are one of the those that has come to believe the lies.
I see what other do outside the USA. I agree that Bush is not as bad as Hitler, and Stalin ====== YET

Give me a break, its got to be Stalin, all the deaths from starvation in Eastern Europe, all the deaths in WWII, all the political purges. Stalin it is estimated killed twice as many people during his reign than the amount that died in the Holocaust.

"The death of one is a tragedy, the death of a thousand is just a statistic" -Joseph Stalin

GySgt said:
Don't just deal in the surface facts. What's the rest of the story you conveniently ignore?

Well, maybe facist, police state militaristic ditatorships are appealing to you, but I am afraid that I don't feel the same way.

If it's Arbenz you are talking about, the only "Socailst" thing he tried to do is nationalize the country's land, and to do so, he wanted to buy the Guatemalan land that was being used and abused by the American corporation United Fruit Co. Apparently, that was enough to get him killed by his military, which was strangly supported by the CIA. Wow, what a coincidence!!!

Duke

kingpin said:
Give me a break, its got to be Stalin, all the deaths from starvation in Eastern Europe, all the deaths in WWII, all the political purges. Stalin it is estimated killed twice as many people during his reign than the amount that died in the Holocaust.

Estimated by whom? Hienrich Himmler? The estimations by the UN put him about level with Hitler, not counting deaths in war, because if so Hitler would have won this sick little race.

Duke

steen said:
It is disturbing that you have never heard of him. He is the one responsible for the "killing fields," the mass extermination and forced deurbanization of Cambodia. The leader of the Khmer Rouge. You MUST have heard of the "killing fields"? Brutal and ignorant extremination, forced rural labor, completely emptying Pnom-Pen, a city of several million people, the execution of anybody that were "different," even to the point of you being immediately executed if you wore glasses, as that was an "elitist" thing? The etermination of at least 2 mill of the 8 mill population.

You NEVER heard of Pol-Pot?
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/asiapcf/9804/16/pol.pot.on.update/

I am shocked.

According to the USA State Department, he killed about 1.2 million people. And that's probably a high estimate, because the State Department really hates him. He was terrible, but Hitler was worse. And a bunch of other people.

Duke

Look. Stalin killed people. The numbers for the American public are probably overblown and one of the first smear attacks against the Soviets. But he killed people. But so did Hitler. And Hitler also was insane and expansionist.

The cold truth is Stalin improved Russia. He industrialized and improved the quality of living for everyone Russia. I will always hate Stalin, he was a terrible heartless man, but I will never discredit his importance in the history of the USSR.

Isn't Stalin the guy that coined the phrase "One persons death is a tragedy, a million peoples death is a statistic?'

but I will never discredit his importance in the history of the USSR.

O he was important alright. :lol:

He was important in the killings of half your population(ok over exaggerating) :lol:

But your absolutely right he did have a profound and direct effect on your beleoved motherland.

Dude whats wrong with Russia?

I dont know you tel me :lol:

Stalin is dead

R u serious? I thought he was still alive! Are you sure? I could've sworn I saw him yesterday at my little sisters cheer practice.

I would have to say Kim Jong Il. Many reasons why but i think this describes it in an odd way. I read a story that he went out deer? hunting and 'accidently' shot a pregnant dow. He immediately rushed it the the HOSPITAL and ended up saving the deer's life. Yet, he starves his own people?

AK_Conservative said:
I would have to say Kim Jong Il. Many reasons why but i think this describes it in an odd way. I read a story that he went out deer? hunting and 'accidently' shot a pregnant dow. He immediately rushed it the the HOSPITAL and ended up saving the deer's life. Yet, he starves his own people?

By putting quotes around accidently, you imply that it was not an accident. If any of the story is true, and he shot the deer on purpose, as you imply, he would have kept hunting. And, for the record,Kim Jong Il is just downright :crazy3:

:usflag2:

Duke

Duke said:
According to the USA State Department, he killed about 1.2 million people. And that's probably a high estimate, because the State Department really hates him. He was terrible, but Hitler was worse. And a bunch of other people.
In what way? He certainly killed a bigger percentage of his population than Hitler or Stalin did. So how do you meassure "worse"?

AK_Conservative said:
And THAT makes him the world's worst dictator?:doh

steen said:
And THAT makes him the world's worst dictator?:doh

absolutely not. There is plenty more example why he is, but should i go further into detail? I just felt like i would share this entertaining story.

And when i stated 'accident' it was more along the lines of i dont recall if it was an accident or not! story was about a year ago!

Well there are alot of very bad dictators but everyone has their opinion.

steen said:
In what way? He certainly killed a bigger percentage of his population than Hitler or Stalin did. So how do you meassure "worse"?

You seem to meausre evilness by percentages, but I measure it by lives lost.

ban.the.electoral.college said:
You forgot G.W.Bush!

We are clearly NOT a dictatorship. I don't even think it should be a debate. The dictatorships listed are all pretty bad, but I'd have to go with North Korea.

I am currently reading a book called "The Aquariums of Pyongyang," which is by Kang Chol-Hwan. The author was placed in a gulag at age 9 for his grandfather's political crimes. If you commit a politcal crime, not just you, but several generations of your descendants must also go to the gulag. The author is one of the only people who has gotten out to tell the tale.

He talks about how everyone in the gulag is given only a tiny bit of food everyday, and must rely on eating rats to survive. Death by starvation is everywhere. Every time someone tries to escape, the government agents break their arms, legs, and knock out their teeth the day before a public execution in which the other prisoners are required to participate. There are currently about 200,000 people in such gulags who are labeled as political prisoners.

Meanwhile, the rest of the country lives in fear as any deviation from government doctrine - including what they have in terms of music, books, and culture, will send them to the camps. They starve as well because the government has stamped out anything that resembles a working economy.

Now that's pretty darn evil. If you think it's funny to compare the United States to these types of regimes - think again. There are 23 million people in North Korea who would go to any length physically possible in order to obtain the lifestyle that you have in the United States.

We are clearly NOT a dictatorship. I don't even think it should be a debate. The dictatorships listed are all pretty bad, but I'd have to go with North Korea.

I am currently reading a book called "The Aquariums of Pyongyang," which is by Kang Chol-Hwan. The author was placed in a gulag at age 9 for his grandfather's political crimes. If you commit a politcal crime, not just you, but several generations of your descendants must also go to the gulag. The author is one of the only people who has gotten out to tell the tale.

He talks about how everyone in the gulag is given only a tiny bit of food everyday, and must rely on eating rats to survive. Death by starvation is everywhere. Every time someone tries to escape, the government agents break their arms, legs, and knock out their teeth the day before a public execution in which the other prisoners are required to participate. There are currently about 200,000 people in such gulags who are labeled as political prisoners.

Meanwhile, the rest of the country lives in fear as any deviation from government doctrine - including what they have in terms of music, books, and culture, will send them to the camps. They starve as well because the government has stamped out anything that resembles a working economy.

Now that's pretty darn evil. If you think it's funny to compare the United States to these types of regimes - think again. There are 23 million people in North Korea who would go to any length physically possible in order to obtain the lifestyle that you have in the United States.

Bingo I couldnt agree with you more.

Totally. I think that people comparing Bush to actual dictators should snap back to reality. They may be joking, but it is really not something to kid about.

Duke

Duke said:
Totally. I think that people comparing Bush to actual dictators should snap back to reality. They may be joking, but it is really not something to kid about.

Duke

Again I couldnt agree with you more. Your bating a thousand with me you know that?

Back
Top Bottom