• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Worlds First Test Tube Grown Meat to Be Served In London England.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
The £250,000 hamburger: First test tube-grown beef will be served in London restaurant this week

The artificial burger will be cooked and served for the first time this week
It cost in the region of £250,000 to produce the prototype

The 5oz beef burger is grown from the stem cells of one cow
Creator Professor Mark Post believes the development could help solve problems in the meat industry

article-2380308-16F60022000005DC-287_634x405.jpg

The world’s first test-tube burger will be served in London next week. It is made from meat grown in a laboratory, rather than cattle raised in pastures.
And its developers hope it will show how the soaring global demand for protein can be met without the need for vast herds of cattle.

The 5oz ‘Frankenburger’, which cost £250,000 to produce, is made from 3,000 tiny strips of meat grown from the stem cells of a cow.

The raw meat is said to be grey with a slippery texture similar to squid or scallop.

A four-step technique is used to turn stem cells from animal flesh into a burger.
First, the stem cells are stripped from the cow’s muscle.
Next, they are incubated in a nutrient broth until they multiply many times over, creating a sticky tissue with the consistency of an undercooked egg.
This ‘wasted muscle’ is then bulked up through the laboratory equivalent of exercise - it is anchored to Velcro and stretched.
Finally, 3,000 strips of the lab-grown meat are minced, and, along with 200 pieces of lab-grown animal fat, formed into a burger.

article-2380308-1B080039000005DC-23_634x683.jpg

The process is still lengthy, as well as expensive, but it could take just six weeks from stem cell to supermarket shelf.

The cell-grown burger is produced with materials — including fetal calf serum, which used to grow the cells — that will eventually be replaced by materials not orginating from animals, the New York Times reported.

In-vitro meat or cultured meat is an animal flesh product that has never been part of a complete, living animal, and is quite different from imitation meat or meat substitutes, which are vegetarian foods made from vegetable proteins like soy.

Scientists say that it is possible the meat will be sold to the public within ten years.
It also reduces the amount of feed, water and fuel needed to produce beef.
Every kilo of meat requires 10 kilos of plant feed and oil, but cultured meat would only need two.....snip~

Read more: £250,000 hamburger: First test tube-grown beef will be served in London restaurant this week | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What do you think about this? Lab created meat. They think even vegetarians would be able to eat this Meat. Moreover they say they can change the taste. Ad in fatty acids etc etc. It was never part of a living animal? They are even looking to take out the fetal calf serum. Straight out of Soylent Green.....huh?

hope they can grow spam someday.

-- What do you think about this? Lab created meat. They think even vegetarians would be able to eat this Meat. Moreover they say they can change the taste. Ad in fatty acids etc etc. It was never part of a living animal? They are even looking to take out the fetal calf serum. Straight out of Soylent Green.....huh?

At a more reasonable price than £250,000 - I'd eat it. I much prefer the idea of lab grown beef to things that are currently being developed and put into meats now like meal-worms and the like.

They won't be able to replicate a good rump steak yet though - that kind of meat develops taste in other ways that you can't reproduce in a laboratory (yet)

At a more reasonable price than £250,000 - I'd eat it. I much prefer the idea of lab grown beef to things that are currently being developed and put into meats now like meal-worms and the like.

They won't be able to replicate a good rump steak yet though - that kind of meat develops taste in other ways that you can't reproduce in a laboratory (yet)

Heya IC. :2wave: Yeah but they don't even know if it is safe for human consumption. Albeit they will find out this August 5th.

Wonder if they even tried giving this to any other animals. I know they made it back in like may of this year. Still one would have to wonder what they will replace it calf serum with. That would be changing the stem cells totally.

article-2380308-1B0818AD000005DC-120_634x420.jpg

Myself, I am not fond of squid and slimy. :shock:

Test Tube Grown Beef is Soylent Green. TEST TUBE GROWN BEEF IS SOYLENT GREEN !!"

Heya IC. :2wave: Yeah but they don't even know if it is safe for human consumption. Albeit they will find out this August 5th.

Apparently it's the mystery billionaire who funded the research who will eat it.

Wonder if they even tried giving this to any other animals. --

Would you believe it was Winston Churchill who suggested “Fifty years hence, we shall escape the absurdity of growing a whole chicken in order eat the breast or the wing, by growing these parts separately in a suitable medium.”

Anyhow, I think they will get the taste of mince correct first before going on to other meat. As for squid- quite a lot of people eat that. I myself have eaten all sorts of animals so test-tube beef wouldn't scare me.

Apparently it's the mystery billionaire who funded the research who will eat it.

Would you believe it was Winston Churchill who suggested “Fifty years hence, we shall escape the absurdity of growing a whole chicken in order eat the breast or the wing, by growing these parts separately in a suitable medium.”

Anyhow, I think they will get the taste of mince correct first before going on to other meat. As for squid- quite a lot of people eat that. I myself have eaten all sorts of animals so test-tube beef wouldn't scare me.

Yeah and the Dutch government.....I have eaten a lot of animals myself. Course I would do what is necessary. But out of preference or choice. I would choose real beef over anything created out of a lab.

Moreover once going commercial.....who knows what could be put into it by owners across the world.

I'm not fond of eels and camel hump either.....but some ketchep and something to drink. We good to go. :lol:

-- but some ketchep and something to drink. We good to go. :lol:

Considering some of the extremely "unchicken" like chicken I've had in Chinese lemon Chicken before - yeah, I washed that stuff down and put the toilet paper in the fridge ready for next morning...

What do you think about this? Lab created meat. They think even vegetarians would be able to eat this Meat. Moreover they say they can change the taste. Ad in fatty acids etc etc. It was never part of a living animal? They are even looking to take out the fetal calf serum. Straight out of Soylent Green.....huh?

I think its SICK! We need to examine how our ancestors survived in times of drought or other disasters that limited the food supply.
Too much technology & Buck Rogers stuff! We The People need a more down to earth solution.
We have reproduced like bunnies and now we face food shortages because GREED INC, wants a piece of the action whatever is happening.

A! where are we going?
& why are we in this handbasket?

or?

I think its SICK! We need to examine how our ancestors survived in times of drought or other disasters that limited the food supply.
Too much technology & Buck Rogers stuff! We The People need a more down to earth solution.
We have reproduced like bunnies and now we face food shortages because GREED INC, wants a piece of the action whatever is happening.

A! where are we going?
& why are we in this handbasket?

or?

Yeah, and they also have to re-create the tissue.....which they are talking about changing out. Yet it doesn't say to what? They also were harvesting the stem cells out of the neck of a cow that was going to be slaughtered.

Another thing they did this with pork back in 2009.

Now they are like thinking for mass production of that life long dream of feeding the world.

Isn't most hamburger the dairy herd that has stopped producing? Is it really more environmentally friendly to interfere with successful recycling? :shock:

Isn't most hamburger the dairy herd that has stopped producing? Is it really more environmentally friendly to interfere with successful recycling? :shock:

Most hamburger comes from cattle specifically raised to be eaten, not dairy herd.

Most hamburger comes from cattle specifically raised to be eaten, not dairy herd.

I heard somewhere that cattle raised to be eaten were the steaks and the dairy herd were usually the hamburger. IDK.

The £250,000 hamburger: First test tube-grown beef will be served in London restaurant this week

The artificial burger will be cooked and served for the first time this week
It cost in the region of £250,000 to produce the prototype

The 5oz beef burger is grown from the stem cells of one cow
Creator Professor Mark Post believes the development could help solve problems in the meat industry

article-2380308-16F60022000005DC-287_634x405.jpg

The world’s first test-tube burger will be served in London next week. It is made from meat grown in a laboratory, rather than cattle raised in pastures.
And its developers hope it will show how the soaring global demand for protein can be met without the need for vast herds of cattle.

The 5oz ‘Frankenburger’, which cost £250,000 to produce, is made from 3,000 tiny strips of meat grown from the stem cells of a cow.

The raw meat is said to be grey with a slippery texture similar to squid or scallop.

A four-step technique is used to turn stem cells from animal flesh into a burger.
First, the stem cells are stripped from the cow’s muscle.
Next, they are incubated in a nutrient broth until they multiply many times over, creating a sticky tissue with the consistency of an undercooked egg.
This ‘wasted muscle’ is then bulked up through the laboratory equivalent of exercise - it is anchored to Velcro and stretched.
Finally, 3,000 strips of the lab-grown meat are minced, and, along with 200 pieces of lab-grown animal fat, formed into a burger.

article-2380308-1B080039000005DC-23_634x683.jpg

The process is still lengthy, as well as expensive, but it could take just six weeks from stem cell to supermarket shelf.

The cell-grown burger is produced with materials — including fetal calf serum, which used to grow the cells — that will eventually be replaced by materials not orginating from animals, the New York Times reported.

In-vitro meat or cultured meat is an animal flesh product that has never been part of a complete, living animal, and is quite different from imitation meat or meat substitutes, which are vegetarian foods made from vegetable proteins like soy.

Scientists say that it is possible the meat will be sold to the public within ten years.
It also reduces the amount of feed, water and fuel needed to produce beef.
Every kilo of meat requires 10 kilos of plant feed and oil, but cultured meat would only need two.....snip~

Read more: £250,000 hamburger: First test tube-grown beef will be served in London restaurant this week | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

IMO a terrible idea.

Leave my burgers alone !!!!!:2razz:

If eating test-tube grown beef is bad for your teeth - you could always replace them with these human teeth grown from urine..

blech.. that's something science didn't have to explore

Seems the Hindu's are not going to go for the likes of the Test Tube Burger. They are like.....who wants to eat carcass. Real or lab grown.

Religions asking if test-tube burgers allow them to keep the faith.....

When the world's first test-tube beef burger was cooked and eaten this week, food critics all asked about its taste. For many Jews, Muslims and Hindus, the first question was whether their faith allowed them to try it.

Religious websites were abuzz with questions and opinions this week after biologist Mark Post of Maastricht University presented his innovation to the media in London on Monday.

Dietary laws exist in many religions, but came about so long ago that not even their prophets could have imagined a ready-to-fry beef patty grown in-vitro from the stem cells of a cow.

If religious authorities interpret their ancient texts in a way that allows them to give this new food their blessing, now-banned kosher cheeseburgers and Hindu hamburgers, as well as an undisputed method of producing halal meat, could be possible.

"There does not appear to be any objection to eating this type of cultured meat," the Islamic Institute of Orange County in California responded to a questioner on its website.

Gulf News in Dubai quoted Abdul Qahir Qamar of the International Islamic Fiqh Academy in Jedda, Saudi Arabia, as saying in-vitro meat "will not be considered meat from live animals, but will be cultured meat."

As long as the cells used are not from pigs, dogs or other animals banned under the halal laws, he said, the meat would be vegetative and "similar to yogurt and fermented pickles."

"We will not accept it being traded in a marketplace in any form or being used for a commercial purpose," Chandra Kaushik, president of the Hindu nationalist group Akhil Bharat Hindu Mahasabha, told the India Real Time blog.....snip~

Religions asking if test-tube burgers allow them to keep the faith

Back
Top Bottom