• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

World Will Run Out of Internet Addresses in Less Than a Year, Experts Predict

RedAkston

Master of Shenanigans
Administrator
Dungeon Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
FOXNews.com - World Will Run Out of Internet Addresses in Less Than a Year, Experts Predict

There are currently only 232 million IP addresses left -- enough for about 340 days -- thanks to the explosion in smartphones and other web-enabled devices.

I remember going to an IBM training class years ago. When this was discussed, the idea of running out of IP addresses was never even a possibility. But here we are. Looks like something had better be implemented quickly before mass chaos erupts.

The solution to the problem is IPv6, which uses a 128-digit address. It would give everyone in the world more than four billion addresses each, but most of the internet industry has so far been reluctant to introduce it.

It would require each device that connects to the internet to be reconfigured or upgraded, with some users even being forced to buy new hardware, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.

In the meantime ISPs may force multiple customers to share IP addresses, which may lead to common applications, such as Gmail and iTunes, ceasing to work.

No Gmail?????

FOXNews.com - World Will Run Out of Internet Addresses in Less Than a Year, Experts Predict

I remember going to an IBM training class years ago. When this was discussed, the idea of running out of IP addresses was never even a possibility. But here we are. Looks like something had better be implemented quickly before mass chaos erupts.

No Gmail?????
The solution is to upgrade us all to the next IP version, which gives an exponential increase in the number of spares (like making the switch from 32-bit to 64-bit has on how much RAM you can use).

It'll take some organisation, though.

Seriously.. stop reading Fox News, they have no clue on what they are talking about. Ipv6 has been implemented long ago and a bridge between Iv6 and previous versions is in effect. IP addresses will NOT run out any time soon. This story looks like a story I read 4ish years ago lol, where they said the same thing.

For one... all OS's can run Ipv6 and have been able to do that for years. All routers on the internet have been upgraded to it, and most ISPs will eventually be forced to upgrade as well if they have not. More fear mongering from Fox News, and frankly yet again proves the stupidity of the journalists on the station that they cant even google the freaking facts.

This isn't a consumer problem. This is a provider problem. If a provider wants to sell new addresses, they are going to have to upgrade. If they want to lose customers, they will force them to share IP addresses.

Seriously.. stop reading Fox News, they have no clue on what they are talking about. Ipv6 has been implemented long ago and a bridge between Iv6 and previous versions is in effect. IP addresses will NOT run out any time soon. This story looks like a story I read 4ish years ago lol, where they said the same thing.

For one... all OS's can run Ipv6 and have been able to do that for years. All routers on the internet have been upgraded to it, and most ISPs will eventually be forced to upgrade as well if they have not. More fear mongering from Fox News, and frankly yet again proves the stupidity of the journalists on the station that they cant even google the freaking facts.

I read this article thinking, "the tech leaders wouldn't be stupid enough to ignore this until the last minute". Thanks for confirming my assumption. I will admit I was a little concerned about my router handling the change.

NO GMAIL?!?!?!?!?!? OR ITUNES?!?!?!?! GOD THE FAWK NO! lol but nope it woulde be problem. just like how the local broadcast went to digitl signals and everyone had to buy the converter with a years notice it wouldnt be a hard thing. ;]

Sharing IP addresses? I could only imagine that this would make it all the more harder to track down hackers and internet pedos.

i did not at all think of this.... are you trying to tell us something here ;] lol jk jk

i did not at all think of this.... are you trying to tell us something here ;] lol jk jk

It'll be like a party line, where your neighbor logs in and starts interupting your chat session. :lol:

It'll be like a party line, where your neighbor logs in and starts interupting your chat session. :lol:

GOD NO!!! this must not be allowed!!! gotta have my private session on webcams ;] lmaoo!!

It doesn't quite work like that.

Back
Top Bottom