• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

World wide Embarassment !

cnredd said:
When Cuba gets below sea-level and has levees to block water, get back to me...
The problem is not in the sea-level and levee. The problem is in organisation, bureaucracy and finally in overall attitude to people, especially if they are poor.
Just look what is written in this very thread #23

August 25 6:30PM - Katrina makes its first landfall in Florida as a Category 1 hurricane. At least 11 deaths in Florida are attributed to the storm.

Everything was known for several days in advance. It was not somehow unexpected like tsunami in East-Asia.

Calm2Chaos said:
Wow

I'm not humiliated at all. This was a disaster that to the best of my knowledge has never happened anywhere in the world before.Least not in my lifetime. And in a matter of 3 -5 days the US people donated 100's of millions of dollars,tons of food and supplies. Mobilized upwards of 40,000 people, numerous buses, boats, airplanes and helicopters.

Any other country I think would have colapsed under the intense destruction. It didn't go perfectly smooth, but I'm not humiliated at all.

Katrina at its landfall near NO was just the 4 Category Hurricane.

August 29 6:10AM CDT - Katrina makes second landfall near Grand Isle, Louisiana as a Category 4 Hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 145 mph

Last year Cuba (yes, yes, this little poor blockaded Cuba) survived Ivan that also was 4 Category Hurricane, without any casualities.

Last edited:
Incompetence,first by the BLACK mayor of New Orleans than the governor than the federal govt. Caused this shame.Not peoples race or class,that componded it because those that should have been most sensitive allegedly ,to them weren't

arussian said:

Your going to compare cuba and the US. ...LMAO

HMMM when the hurricane hit cuba what happened to the water after the storm.... Can you answer me that????

Amazingly your comparing an entire country thats only about 8000 square miles and 11 million people. To the devestation caused over 90,000 square miles effecting 3 states and 3-4 million people... I can see that as a real good comparison..

And again.. What happened to the water after the storm.

JOHNYJ said:
Incompetence,first by the BLACK mayor of New Orleans than the governor than the federal govt. Caused this shame.Not peoples race or class,that componded it because those that should have been most sensitive allegedly ,to them weren't

I think your one of a very few thats ashamed, thats about it

Calm2Chaos said:
Your going to compare cuba and the US. ...LMAO

HMMM when the hurricane hit cuba what happened to the water after the storm.... Can you answer me that????

Amazingly your comparing an entire country thats only about 8000 square miles and 11 million people. To the devestation caused over 90,000 square miles effecting 3 states and 3-4 million people... I can see that as a real good comparison..

And again.. What happened to the water after the storm.

I don't have an intention of hurting you, and also think that using of emotionally loaded words like "shame", "humiliation" is not suitable in the case of disaster.

Although, to some extent, why not to compare? Similar threats, similar tasks. Only resources (seemed to be) incompatible. Cuba succeeded to evacuate in time almost 2 millions, about 15% of its population. US … well, you know yourself
Regarding the issue that NO is under the sea-level and that the levee needs improvement, it is perhaps the worst. Because it was known for long time in advance and federal administration was asked for support.

September 13, 2005

Government Coverup of Dangerous Toxins in New Orleans

from Marc Maron and Mark Riley, Morning Sedition, Air America Radio

Hugh Kauffman, a Senior Policy Analyst at the Environmental Protection Agency who specializes in emergency response, told Morning Sedition hosts Marc Maron and Mark Riley that a government cover-up is taking place right now, as we speak, to hide information about the dangerous toxins in the flood waters of the Gulf Coast region. Kauffman, a 35-year EPA veteran who has served in Republican and Democratic administrations, says that the Bush administration is preventing the EPA from releasing information that oil and chemical companies are mandated by law to provide. Kauffman says the Bush administration’s cover-up is endangering residents and relief workers throughout the Gulf Coast region, who are being exposed to dangerous levels of toxins, some of which have been proven to cause cancer and birth defects. Kauffman, who was the chief investigator for the 9/11 clean up, also said that the Bush administration engaged in the same practice after 9/11—covering up the truth about the dangers in the air and water and lying to the public in the weeks after the disaster. Kauffman said that over 75% of the heroes who responded to 9/11 have gotten sick and in some cases have died because of exposure to toxins at Ground Zero, and that he fears a similar fate will befall relief workers and residents in the Gulf Coast now.

SOURCE & Transcript from HUGH KAUFFMAN interview
with MARC MARON and MARK RILEY
9-13-05
2 minutes long

Last edited:
arussian said:
I don't have an intention of hurting you, and also think that using of emotionally loaded words like "shame", "humiliation" is not suitable in the case of disaster.

Although, to some extent, why not to compare? Similar threats, similar tasks. Only resources (seemed to be) incompatible. Cuba succeeded to evacuate in time almost 2 millions, about 15% of its population. US … well, you know yourself
Regarding the issue that NO is under the sea-level and that the levee needs improvement, it is perhaps the worst. Because it was known for long time in advance and federal administration was asked for support.

There not similar though. Having a hurricane and flooding is one thing. Having a hurricane and flooding then the flooding stays for days, weeks, months is completely different situation. This was a task I don't think has faced anyone that I know of

ban.the.electoral.college said:
September 13, 2005

Government Coverup of Dangerous Toxins in New Orleans

from Marc Maron and Mark Riley, Morning Sedition, Air America Radio

Hugh Kauffman, a Senior Policy Analyst at the Environmental Protection Agency who specializes in emergency response, told Morning Sedition hosts Marc Maron and Mark Riley that a government cover-up is taking place right now, as we speak, to hide information about the dangerous toxins in the flood waters of the Gulf Coast region. Kauffman, a 35-year EPA veteran who has served in Republican and Democratic administrations, says that the Bush administration is preventing the EPA from releasing information that oil and chemical companies are mandated by law to provide. Kauffman says the Bush administration’s cover-up is endangering residents and relief workers throughout the Gulf Coast region, who are being exposed to dangerous levels of toxins, some of which have been proven to cause cancer and birth defects. Kauffman, who was the chief investigator for the 9/11 clean up, also said that the Bush administration engaged in the same practice after 9/11—covering up the truth about the dangers in the air and water and lying to the public in the weeks after the disaster. Kauffman said that over 75% of the heroes who responded to 9/11 have gotten sick and in some cases have died because of exposure to toxins at Ground Zero, and that he fears a similar fate will befall relief workers and residents in the Gulf Coast now.

SOURCE & Transcript from HUGH KAUFFMAN interview
with MARC MARON and MARK RILEY
9-13-05
2 minutes long

Is there a point or are you just copy and pasting articles?

arussian said:

I think that if the preparation had been done better before Katrina the situation for those in New Orleans would have been better. From the people in the Superdome without water and food because their city leaders didn't do what they should have to the levees that should have been addressed by President Clinton, President Bush and others before them, the key was preparation.

Comparing Cuba to what happened on the gulf coast because of Katrina is pure fantasy. Any disaster is individual and the consequences are different for each individual one.

Let me show you what I mean: The media and the Democrats had a field day telling us how President Bush didn't care about the disaster because he flew over the scene 1 day after the disaster and then finally set foot in Baton Rouge on the 3rd day after the disaster. IT TOOK HIM 3 WHOLE DAYS TO SHOW UP AFTER A HURRICANE. The media made it clear they didn't like the 3 day lag and we all saw that for ourselves. Those who supported the President sat and shook their heads and those who didn't support the President sat and nodded their heads.

In contrast the media treated President Clinton like a hero when he went to Oklahoma City after the bombing. I want to know why, since he didn't show up in Oklahoma City until 4 days after the bombing what the difference is. Some here always, when confronted with "death" in their debate like to say "one death is too much". Was it different for President Clinton as opposed to President Bush? Are we going to condem President Clinton because it took him one more day than President Bush to show up at the disaster on his watch?

It's not Cuba's fault that New Orleans flooded. It's not Russia's fault that they have to call on the U.S. to rescue their submariners when one goes down. It is people that count and people that help each other. Those who want to place blame are going to have to go with what the majority of American people think now. The New York Times ignores it in reporting the polling data they have but most Americans blame local and state government for what happened in Louisiana and then the President. We all know that Democrats and Republicans are to blame. Those who just want to blame the other side are doing it for purely partisan purposes. Imagine! Playing politics with the dead.
:duel :cool:

gordontravels said:

In contrast the media treated President Clinton like a hero when he went to Oklahoma City after the bombing. I want to know why, since he didn't show up in Oklahoma City until 4 days after the bombing what the difference is. Some here always, when confronted with "death" in their debate like to say "one death is too much". Was it different for President Clinton as opposed to President Bush? Are we going to condem President Clinton because it took him one more day than President Bush to show up at the disaster on his watch?

That’s a pretty lame comparison. In Oklahoma City, after the bombing, one building was blown up and they were digging through the rubble looking for survivors, in New Orleans, almost the entire city that was unable to evacuate was in dire need of federal assistance.

The two are not comparable. Moreover, Clinton, unlike Bush, is actually capable of putting together a sentence unscripted.

SouthernDemocrat said:

That’s a pretty lame comparison. In Oklahoma City, after the bombing, one building was blown up and they were digging through the rubble looking for survivors, in New Orleans, almost the entire city that was unable to evacuate was in dire need of federal assistance.

The two are not comparable. Moreover, Clinton, unlike Bush, is actually capable of putting together a sentence unscripted.

You compound the mistakes here. Most of the residents of New Orleans DID evacuate before Katrina hit. It was the poor or ill or elderly that had no transportation that did not and could not evacuate. The Democrat Mayor of New Orleans and the emergency plan of the state for the evacuation said public transport should be provided but the only public transport that was provided took the people to the Superdome, not out of harm's way.

Federal assistance always comes after the disaster, state and local officials are in charge before and during. No sitting governor is going to give up their power to the federal authorities until they have to and Governor Blanco still hasn't.

The Clinton Administration's response to Hurricane Floyd in 1998 was much slower than the current situation with Katrina even though Floyd was less destructive but still a flooding hurricane. Why no outrage then on a political and national scale. Could it be because the Republicans didn't accuse President Clinton and the media didn't attack him?

As far as the comparison you only show where your forum name comes from. Democrats were responsible for the mistakes of Katrina just as Republicans were. You have to throw in the "unscripted" remark to remind us you don't care for President Bush. I don't have to do any such thing with any President because I have voted for every president that became president since Nixon.

The majority of the American people now believe that local and state governments should shoulder more of the blame than the Federal Government (ABC News Poll, abc.com). Since the vast majority of dead were killed when the storm hit, the local and state governments should take the blame.

Quit being a Democrat for a few minutes and understand that your party had years to save New Orleans with what the NAACP called the first black president and did nothing. No, the blame goes to Bush, Clinton and those that went before. Partisan politics doesn't go well with disasters and the Democrat Party will lose big if they keep trying to push this one.
:duel :cool:

Back
Top Bottom