• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"WORLD WAR" IN THE UKRAINE?

Lafayette

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
WHAT PROMPTED RUSSIA TO INVADE THE UKRAINE?

It seems to be a local-war between the Ukraine and Russia. No other armies are fighting there - for the moment.

A great deal of aid is nonetheless coming to the Ukrainians from both the EU and the US. Which are a clear indication of their sentiments as regards this illegal-invasion of Russia onto foreign soil. Only Germany is really concerned that a total shut-off of oil from Russia would have serious consequences on its Covid-recuperating economy.

Why did Russia attack the Ukraine? Read here from the BBC one reason that might be highly provocative.

From the BBC News here (21 July 2021): Nord Stream 2: US and Germany reach deal on controversial Russian gas pipeline:
The US says it has reached a deal with Germany to prevent Russia from using its Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline as political leverage over Europe. The near-complete 1,230km (764 miles) pipeline under the Baltic Sea will double Russian gas exports to Germany.

US official Victoria Nuland said it was "a bad pipeline", but said the deal envisaged sanctions against Moscow if it tried to blackmail Ukraine. Ukraine says the Nord Stream 2 pipeline threatens its security.

The country has been fighting Russian-backed separatists in the east since 2014. Russia also annexed the Crimea peninsula from Ukraine in 2014. Kyiv fears a full-scale Russian invasion once Nord Stream 2 is fully operational.

Ukraine also stands to lose about $3bn (£2.2bn) a year in gas transit fees.

Was the above agreement enough to prompt Russia to invade the Ukraine? Methinks, yes. But neither does that insinuate approval for Russia's transgression ... !

WHAT PROMPTED RUSSIA TO INVADE THE UKRAINE?

It seems to be a local-war between the Ukraine and Russia. No other armies are fighting there - for the moment.

A great deal of aid is nonetheless coming to the Ukrainians from both the EU and the US. Which are a clear indication of their sentiments as regards this illegal-invasion of Russia onto foreign soil. Only Germany is really concerned that a total shut-off of oil from Russia would have serious consequences on its Covid-recuperating economy.

Why did Russia attack the Ukraine? Read here from the BBC one reason that might be highly provocative.

From the BBC News here (21 July 2021): Nord Stream 2: US and Germany reach deal on controversial Russian gas pipeline:

Was the above agreement enough to prompt Russia to invade the Ukraine? Methinks, yes. But neither does that insinuate approval for Russia's transgression ... !
Wait...didn't the Biden pukes remove sanctions against the pipeline?

Why yes...yes, they did.

In May, US President Joe Biden's administration waived sanctions on a company building the pipeline, despite a strong opposition from Republican lawmakers.​

This raises the question: Did the US and Germany make this deal to provoke Russia?

Or are the administrations of those two countries just ****ing stupid?

Wait...didn't the Biden pukes remove sanctions against the pipeline?

Why yes...yes, they did.

In May, US President Joe Biden's administration waived sanctions on a company building the pipeline, despite a strong opposition from Republican lawmakers.​

This raises the question: Did the US and Germany make this deal to provoke Russia?

Or are the administrations of those two countries just ****ing stupid?
Who benefitted from the sanction waivers? Doesn’t the pipeline get Russian energy to Germany? Why would Russia feel a need to attack Ukraine over removing obstacles to completing the transit?

Who benefitted from the sanction waivers? Doesn’t the pipeline get Russian energy to Germany? Why would Russia feel a need to attack Ukraine over removing obstacles to completing the transit?
You should ask the OP. Me? I still can't understand the utter hypocrisy and flip flopping of the Biden pukes.

You should ask the OP. Me? I still can't understand the utter hypocrisy and flip flopping of the Biden pukes.
I replied to your post. You replied to the OP. How did sanction relief make a case for Russia to invade Ukraine? Am I missing some information?

You obviously do not know the personality of Putin. The guy is ex-KGB and a mentality that is seriously ill.

He was amongst the first (along with Russia's very first president Yeltsin) who both freed the money in the Soviet Union accounts - which is how they made themselves rich and also certain people who helped them.

Those funds that they filched actually belonged to the Russian people and not instant-billionaires because they were good-friends of either Yeltsin or Putin.

Both of whom are functionally "crooks" ... !

PS: Mad or bad? A deep dive into Putin’s psyche

You obviously do not know the personality of Putin. The guy is ex-KGB and a mentality that is seriously ill.

He was amongst the first (along with Russia's very first president Yeltsin) who both freed the money in the Soviet Union accounts - which is how they made themselves rich and also certain people who helped them.

Those funds that they filched actually belonged to the Russian people and not instant-billionaires because they were good-friends of either Yeltsin or Putin.

Both of whom are functionally "crooks" ... !
I don’t disagree. I was trying to find the logic in @Mycroft ’s reply to your OP.

As I have posted in other threads, I don’t understand the nuts and bolts, (laymen’s term,) of how in this Information age, Putin can so successfully pull the wool over his people’s eyes.

I don’t disagree. I was trying to find the logic in @Mycroft ’s reply to your OP.

As I have posted in other threads, I don’t understand the nuts and bolts, (laymen’s term,) of how in this Information age, Putin can so successfully pull the wool over his people’s eyes.

You have to know Russia today in order to understand.

Those who were "elected" to run office (after the Soviet Union died) filched the government-funds and distributed it to "friends". Yeltsin got out at the end of his tenure, and Putin fiddled the election-results to take his place. (Don't forget, in the Soviet Union all commerce and manufacturing was in the hands of the Communist Party that ran the government! The sums that such represent were in the billions.)

What this select few had done is to take the Soviet-Union funding and distributed it amongst friends. These have become the super-rich Russians that buy costly-villas in the south of France and mansions in London. With huge yachts to take them from one to the other.

While the rest of Russia struggles to maintain a barely decent lifestyle.

The comeuppance is there for Putin, and I venture he is scared shatless that it indeed could happen. With any luck, it WILL happen, and his will become yet another element of distant-and-disagreeable Russian history ...

Back
Top Bottom