• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

World Tennis No. 1 Djokovic Blasts 'Crazy' Wimbledon Ban On Russian, Belarusian Players

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

iu

Tennis world No. 1 Novak Djokovic has called Wimbledon's decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players over Moscow's invasion of Ukraine "crazy." The ban means that the men's world No. 2, Russia's Daniil Medvedev, and the women's fourth-ranked player, Belarus's Aryna Sabalenka, will be banned from the June 27-July 10 tournament. Djokovic, who grew up in war-torn Serbia, said the athletes had nothing to do with the ongoing conflict. "I will always condemn war. I will never support war, being myself a child of war," Djokovic told reporters at the Serbia Open, an ATP 250 event in Belgrade. "I know how much emotional trauma it leaves. In Serbia, we all know what happened in 1999. In the Balkans, we have had many wars in recent history. "However, I cannot support the decision of Wimbledon. I think it is crazy," he said. "When politics interferes with sport, the result is not good." Djokovic is playing in just his third tournament of the season after being deported from Australia ahead of the Australian Open over his COVID-19 vaccination status.

Not a word from Djokovic, who hails from Russia ally Serbia, about the tens of thusands of Ukrainians that have been killed, murdered, maimed, or displaced.

If the Russia/Belarus athetes had any moral compass, they would voluntarily withdraw from competitions as a protest against Putin's war.

As it is, many international athletes want no formal association with Russia/Belarus at any level.

Top Bottom