• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

World Opinion?

Do you care what the world thinks about the US?

• Yes

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 24 57.1%

• Total voters
Thinker said:
There you have it: can you blame anyone for holding the USA in low esteem
when you claim self-righteously that everyone else is driven by self interest and
the USA isn't?

The USA is no different from most other countries in that almost everything
it does externally is purely for its own self interest.

I do not believe that people from the USA are hated. I believe that what are
hated are displays of arrogance as demonstrated in the quoted post and the
frequent claims that "we're right and everyone else is wrong" (to paraphrase).

Yeah, e.g. the balkan wars were in our self interest ... surrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Giving $15 billion to the Africa AIDS rathole is in our self-interest ...... yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Being the only real ally of israel is in our self interest ......gotcha.........

Also the crap about the per capita foreign aid. Add into that the billions (trillions?) of dollars the U.S. has paid to defend western europe for 90 years, while smug self-righteous euros let their militaries wither away since they can always count on Uncle Sucker, and they can use the difference to feed their bloated welfare states and congratulate themselves on how much per capita foreign aid they hand out .....

Thinker said:
There you have it: can you blame anyone for holding the USA in low esteem
when you claim self-righteously that everyone else is driven by self interest and
the USA isn't?

The USA is no different from most other countries in that almost everything
it does externally is purely for its own self interest.

I do not believe that people from the USA are hated. I believe that what are
hated are displays of arrogance as demonstrated in the quoted post and the
frequent claims that "we're right and everyone else is wrong" (to paraphrase).

Yeah, e.g. the balkan wars were in our self interest ... surrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Giving $15 billion to the Africa AIDS rathole is in our self-interest ...... yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Being the only real ally of israel is in our self interest ......gotcha.........

Also the crap about the per capita foreign aid. Add into that the billions (trillions?) of dollars the U.S. has paid to defend western europe for 90 years, while smug self-righteous euros let their militaries wither away since they can always count on Uncle Sucker, and they can use the difference to feed their bloated welfare states and congratulate themselves on how much per capita foreign aid they hand out .....

Originally posted by Jerry:
As a Conspiracy Nut, I am legally required to believe that 9/11 was enabled more by past leaders than present ones.

In any event, my power ends at the pole. So please tell me: How does my first vote for Bush, while not caring what other countries think about the US, differ from another person’s first vote for Bush who did care about what other countries think? How is their “Bush” vote different than my “Bush” vote?
There many factors that played a role in 9/11. It wasn't just psycho's on a hate binge. Although, that was the biggest reason. But if you break it down far enough you get into the causes of their hatred. And what made it so intense that they wanted to give up their own lives just to see a few of us die.

I think the factors that played a role in that hatred are American arrogance, American narcissisism, American intolerance and American ignorance. Americans for the most part, are not an altruistic bunch. And I have to admit, this "I'm a god-damn American" attitude really ticks me off. I'm embarrassed by my countryman who think we can do no wrong and scoff at any criticism directed at us from the third world.

I don't think we are the worst country on the planet. But we need to think we are not the "only" country on the planet. A lot of people talk like we are.

don't think we are the worst country on the planet. But we need to think we are not the "only" country on the planet. A lot of people talk like we are.
My sentiments exactly...

Billo_Really said:
Those 26 people that voted 'no' are part of the reason we had 9/11.

Go appologize for something...It will make you feel better :roll:

Billo_Really said:
There many factors that played a role in 9/11. It wasn't just psycho's on a hate binge. Although, that was the biggest reason. But if you break it down far enough you get into the causes of their hatred. And what made it so intense that they wanted to give up their own lives just to see a few of us die.

I think the factors that played a role in that hatred are American arrogance, American narcissisism, American intolerance and American ignorance. Americans for the most part, are not an altruistic bunch. And I have to admit, this "I'm a god-damn American" attitude really ticks me off. I'm embarrassed by my countryman who think we can do no wrong and scoff at any criticism directed at us from the third world.

I don't think we are the worst country on the planet. But we need to think we are not the "only" country on the planet. A lot of people talk like we are.

The old blame it on America theory huh..........Its are own fault that 3,000 civililians died 0n 9/11/01......................Sad Billo

Calm2Chaos said:
Go appologize for something...It will make you feel better :roll:

Liberals love to blame all the problems in the world on the U.S,

Navy Pride said:
Liberals love to blame all the problems in the world on the U.S,

The self loathing thing comes in handy on a lot occasions

Billo_Really said:
Those 26 people that voted 'no' are part of the reason we had 9/11.

not necessarily. it matters to me what the members of an enlightened society thinks of us, because I'd want out society to be modeled after theirs.

but if were talking about a country with lots of poverty, violence, and oppression why should I care what they think of us? what position are they in to judge?

but if were talking about a country with lots of poverty, violence, and oppression why should I care what they think of us? what position are they in to judge?
and what country is that...

Willoughby said:
and what country is that...

tons of countries. most of africa, a good deal of asia, and some amount of central and south america.

Billo_Really said:

Oh yeah...I think I get it now. Let's apply this logic to another scenario, just to make sure it is clear.

A girl goes out for some 'partying'. She's dressed provocatively. She drinks a lot at this party and flirts with some guy. As the party winds down the guy suggests that she and him go to his place and, you know, 'get it on'. :kissy: She turns him down and leaves the party. He follows her out and brutally rapes and beats her.

Using your logic, the guy is 'mostly' responsible for the brutal rape and beating. But, she should really see her part in it and apologize to him for turning him on and pi$$ing him off. If she hadn't have made him horny by flirting and if she hadn't have made him angry by turning him down, he would not have had to rape and beat her.

Makes sense to me...Thanks!:bravo:

star2589 said:
not necessarily. it matters to me what the members of an enlightened society thinks of us, because I'd want out society to be modeled after theirs.

Enlightened society?

Example please

Calm2Chaos said:
Enlightened society?

Example please

lol, this is all hypothetical anyway. rignt now none is as good as I would like. the main point is that they have to be doing better than us.

Back
Top Bottom