• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

World Leadership

Gamenets

Reaction score
I want to ask a question cause I recently heard a Hardcore History podcast by Dan Carlin about the Spanish American War and I was really interested in World Leadership. I want to ask would an American led world be better than the alternates?

By this question I'm really asking that is the world a better place in the 21st century under America or some other country or group of countries like BRICs.

Impossible to say, really. I suppose the real turning point was WWII. What would it be like if Australia had come to the rescue?

Would we have gotten a lot more Mad Max flicks? Would environmentalism been a larger focus earlier on?

Who knows.

I want to ask a question cause I recently heard a Hardcore History podcast by Dan Carlin about the Spanish American War and I was really interested in World Leadership. I want to ask would an American led world be better than the alternates?

By this question I'm really asking that is the world a better place in the 21st century under America or some other country or group of countries like BRICs.

I would not say that "America leads the world" at all. However, we are probably the dominant player in our sphere of influence.

One advantage to that is that being an immigrant nation, our nationalism is unique in the world. Here our ties are to the country, not any kind of ethnic group behind that country. Being "American" is not like being "German", or "Japanese" or "Egyptian".

And our character in many ways is that of merchants. We do not want to be overlords over the rest of the world, we just want to buy and sell goods. There are times we could have taken over Mexico, or held onto the Philippines and exploited them for cheap labor, but why? We can do that already without the hassle and expense of trying to provide them a "Government".

Things would be much different if say some Middle Eastern or a Communist nation was the "world leader". I think we have largely fallen into that because of our unique form of nationalism.

Who would you rather fill that role? China? Russia? I don't think that would have a happy ending.

Let Canada lead us all, they seem nice. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom