• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

World and Renewable Energy

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The world is a better place to live, thanks to the advent of renewable energy. Unlike the fossil energy, the renewable energy does not cause any harmful effects on the environment. It does not emit dangerous gases that can lead to global phenomenon like the greenhouse effect or the global warming. The renewable energy is present in the sun, wind and the water bodies.

The energy sector today holds a great deal of promise for those seeking profits and a high return over investments. With the energy consumption expected to rise by 40%, investment in the energy sector is bound to give returns.

The world energy research was set up to take advantage of the opportunities lying in the energy market. This organization explores and develops the prospects in the various segments of the energy industry, be it solar, wind or tidal power. It does this by working closely with experts in these fields to maximize the returns accruing to the investors.

Advertising on message boards in this fashion is frowned upon.

The world is a better place to live, thanks to the advent of renewable energy. Unlike the fossil energy, the renewable energy does not cause any harmful effects on the environment. It does not emit dangerous gases that can lead to global phenomenon like the greenhouse effect or the global warming. The renewable energy is present in the sun, wind and the water bodies.

The energy sector today holds a great deal of promise for those seeking profits and a high return over investments. With the energy consumption expected to rise by 40%, investment in the energy sector is bound to give returns.

The world energy research was set up to take advantage of the opportunities lying in the energy market. This organization explores and develops the prospects in the various segments of the energy industry, be it solar, wind or tidal power. It does this by working closely with experts in these fields to maximize the returns accruing to the investors.

You seem to not know the health problems windmills cause.

Wind whips up health fears - OregonLive.com

One small time article is hardly proof of anything, besides it even says no windfarms should be placed within 2 miles of a residence. I think a 2 mile gap to save you from some undocumented and possibly non-existent problem is definitely better than the kind of pollution and health risks other power generating methods cause.

One small time article is hardly proof of anything, besides it even says no windfarms should be placed within 2 miles of a residence. I think a 2 mile gap to save you from some undocumented and possibly non-existent problem is definitely better than the kind of pollution and health risks other power generating methods cause.

So they cause health problems and take up space on farms so less food can be produced. That is not a good option

So health problems are ok if it supports renewable energy. Sounds like hypocritical to me

No, but using easily preventable problems as an argument against renewable energy without taking into account all the problems caused by fossil fuels is.

No, but using easily preventable problems as an argument against renewable energy without taking into account all the problems caused by fossil fuels is.

So trade old problems for new problems that will change little about climate change. Problems do not matter the money does. The government pays huge subsidies for wind farms

So trade old problems for new problems that will change little about climate change. Problems do not matter the money does. The government pays huge subsidies for wind farms

The problem you pointed out is easily solved by building windmills 2 miles from housing, how is that a new problem when it is much easier fixed than say, acid rain or oil spills?

The problem you pointed out is easily solved by building windmills 2 miles from housing, how is that a new problem when it is much easier fixed than say, acid rain or oil spills?

This will take up farm land and cause less food produced. Should we quit eating?

This will take up farm land and cause less food produced. Should we quit eating?

Shouldn't impact crop land much, actually. But there are other issues, like how much more grid is required...

What's the diameter of the base of a turbine, a few metres? I doubt it'll make all that much difference to the 2.26396 billion acres of farmland in the US. But if that's too much for you, I'm sure there are plenty of unfarmed areas of land you could stick 'em on.

What's the diameter of the base of a turbine, a few metres? I doubt it'll make all that much difference to the 2.26396 billion acres of farmland in the US. But if that's too much for you, I'm sure there are plenty of unfarmed areas of land you could stick 'em on.

I don't know we measure in feet here. When you have hundreds of turbines each with a base of say 10 to 15 square feet and hundreds maybe thousands around the country yes it makes a big cut in land available for farming.

The farmers don't care they get paid well for the windmills being there

I don't know we measure in feet here. When you have hundreds of turbines each with a base of say 10 to 15 square feet and hundreds maybe thousands around the country yes it makes a big cut in land available for farming.

The farmers don't care they get paid well for the windmills being there

And tell me coal mining isn't taking up what could be valuable farm land.

mountaintop%20removal-jj-001.jpg

Which do you reckon would take up more?

Drive past a windfarm and tell me it is not taking up land.
The turbine blades don't come all the way to the ground. Tell me why that land can't be farmed, even tho a very small percentage of it is lost to the wind turbines...
I don't favor wind, or solar, but still, they aren't using much farm ground.
I favor a 2 step solution to electrical generation, first we build all new building to match Architecture 2030 building codes, which means we will need fewer NEW generation capacity, and THEN we replace old coal plants with new nuke plants.

Last edited:
The turbine blades don't come all the way to the ground. Tell me why that land can't be farmed, even tho a very small percentage of it is lost to the wind turbines...
I favor a 2 step solution to electrical generation, first we build all new building to match Architecture 2030 building codes, which means we will need fewer NEW generation capacity, and THEN we replace old coal plants with new nuke plants.

Yeah, nuclear power is the only source we have of sufficient density to totally replace fossil fuels. Nuclear power would be cheaper than coal if our construction process wasn't so absurdly convoluted and restrictive. All the red tape adds billions to the cost of a plant. If we standardized some designs and streamlined the process, we probably wouldn't even be talking about this!

You seem to not know the health problems windmills cause.

Wind whips up health fears - OregonLive.com

It says health 'fears'... Not the same thing as an actual 'problem'... like flammable water.

But let's dig a little deeper, shall we?

Dr. Nina Pierpont of Malone, N.Y., coined the phrase "wind turbine syndrome" for what she says happens to some people living near wind energy farms. She has made the phrase part of the title of a book she's written called "Wind Turbine Syndrome: A Report on the Natural Experiment." It is scheduled for publication next month by K-Selected Press, of Santa Fe, N.M.

Wind Turbine Syndrome? Seriously? The new twinkie defense. Sounds like Dr. is setting herself to be an 'expert witness' in legal actions against green energy companies.

Of course, get her on the stand and ask her about her research methods:

However, according to a draft copy of the section of the book intended for non-clinicians that is available on Dr Pierpont's web site, much of the research appears to be based on interviews with just 10 families living near wind turbines ranging in size from 1.5MW to 3MW, resulting in a sample of 38 people.

Combine that with some facts about wind turbine farms elsewhere.

The BWEA also pointed out that there was no evidence of the existence of Wind Turbine Syndrome from those countries with the highest density of wind turbines, such as Germany and Denmark. "In Germany, they have deployed 15,000 turbines in the past 20 years, and yet there has been no detectable increase in any of these health symptoms identified as being caused by turbines," said the spokesman for the trade group.

LINK

Sounds like the Dr. is suffering from 'Medical-Practice-is-slow-better-market-myself-as-expert-for-new-legal-actions' syndrome...

Well, now you're going way off the grid.

And, as you are always asking for links... please, show us any legitimate study to back that up.

If they are harmful to humans wouldn't they be harmful to wildlife?
I say drill ANWR. The caribou love the pipelines.

If they are harmful to humans wouldn't they be harmful to wildlife?
I say drill ANWR. The caribou love the pipelines.

:shrug: Wildlife can move if it bothers them, my only gripe with turbines is that the low pressure generated behind the blades can make bats lungs explode if they fly too close.

I thought someone said they needed to be built two miles away because of health risks. Wouldn't that put all the land off limits to farmers. And I'm still concerned about health risks to wildlife.
I like your idea of nuclear to eventually replace coal.

:shrug: Wildlife can move if it bothers them, my only gripe with turbines is that the low pressure generated behind the blades can make bats lungs explode if they fly too close.

That sounds like a big problem to me. If they can shut off the water to thousands of farmers in Ca. because of a little minnow, I think we need to study the effects of windmills on wildlife before we move forward. Bats are very important to the environment and where is PETA. Lungs exploding! My god, that sounds worse than electricuting mink. A dead mink at least serves a purpose. What do you do with a dead bat?

Back
Top Bottom