• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

World’s most sensitive dark matter detector releases first results

Fallenangel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
World’s most sensitive dark matter detector releases first results - uchicago.edu

"Scientists behind XENON1T, the largest dark matter experiment of its kind ever built, are encouraged by early results, describing them as the best so far in the search for dark matter.

Dark matter is one of the basic constituents of the universe, five times more abundant than ordinary matter. Several astronomical measurements have corroborated the existence of dark matter, leading to an international effort to observe it directly. Scientists are trying to detect dark matter particle interacting with ordinary matter through the use of extremely sensitive detectors. Such interactions are so feeble that they have escaped direct detection to date, forcing scientists to build detectors that are more and more sensitive and have extremely low levels of radioactivity."

PDF of the paper on arxiv: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1705.06655.pdf

DAHg0jIVYAEz1le.jpg

So far haven't seen any dark matter :(

Fallen.

Last edited:
World’s most sensitive dark matter detector releases first results - uchicago.edu

"Scientists behind XENON1T, the largest dark matter experiment of its kind ever built, are encouraged by early results, describing them as the best so far in the search for dark matter.

Dark matter is one of the basic constituents of the universe, five times more abundant than ordinary matter. Several astronomical measurements have corroborated the existence of dark matter, leading to an international effort to observe it directly. Scientists are trying to detect dark matter particle interacting with ordinary matter through the use of extremely sensitive detectors. Such interactions are so feeble that they have escaped direct detection to date, forcing scientists to build detectors that are more and more sensitive and have extremely low levels of radioactivity."

PDF of the paper on arxiv: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1705.06655.pdf

View attachment 67217739

So far haven't seen any dark matter :(

Fallen.

I believe I read that there are theories around that say there be no Dark Matter.

I believe I read that there are theories around that say there be no Dark Matter.
Dark Matter and Dark Energy are still hypotheses, there are no theories yet either way. Their existence is hypothesized because certain numbers don't add up otherwise. We might end up discovering something radically different from what we've been expecting.

Dark Matter and Dark Energy are still hypotheses, there are no theories yet either way. Their existence is hypothesized because certain numbers don't add up otherwise. We might end up discovering something radically different from what we've been expecting.

You mean like relativity and quantum theory did a little over 100 years ago?

The dark matter concept was produced to explain a number of phenomena that we have observed in the universe, and which we can't explain by our existing theories. The mainstream opinion is that dark matter might be composed of massive particles that interact only weakly with ordinary matter (Weakly Interacting Massive Particles = WIMPs), hence some of the most sensitive detectors such as Xenon1T and LUX are trying to detect those particles. However, there are other possible expatiations for these phenomena, dark matter might not be made of WIMPs but of Axions or ALPs. It is also quite possible that we simply don't understand how gravity works on large scales (MOND), etc...

I don't think Dark Matter(technically dark gravity) exists in the way they think it does.... they need to try to find different solutions(or take existing alternative solutions more seriously)... but Physicists are incredibly stubborn, you have to wait for a lot of them to die before any changes in thought and study happen.

The theories of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics have never been disproved and in tandem they describe our universe quite well. But they don't always work well together, especially with regard to gravity. This truism suggests that another and deeper reality may exist. If so, dark matter/energy may belong to this deeper and elusive structural reality.

Back
Top Bottom