• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Workplace Salaries: At Last, Women on Top

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
According to a new analysis of 2,000 communities by a market research company, in 147 out of 150 of the biggest cities in the U.S., the median full-time salaries of young women are 8% higher than those of the guys in their peer group. In two cities, Atlanta and Memphis, those women are making about 20% more. This squares with earlier research from Queens College, New York, that had suggested that this was happening in major metropolises. But the new study suggests that the gap is bigger than previously thought, with young women in New York City, Los Angeles and San Diego making 17%, 12% and 15% more than their male peers, respectively.

Here's the slightly deflating caveat: this reverse gender gap, as it's known, applies only to unmarried, childless women under 30 who live in cities.

For every two guys who graduate from college or get a higher degree, three women do. This is almost the exact opposite of the graduation ratio that existed when the baby boomers entered college.

As for the somewhat depressing caveat that the findings held true only for women who were childless and single: it's not their marital status that puts the squeeze on their income. Rather, highly educated women tend to marry and have children later. Thus the women who earn the most in their 20s are usually single and childless.

Study: Young, Single, Childless Women Earn More Than Men - TIME

We've discussed this before, but this is the first time there's been a study that looked at so many cities. If you actually make an apples to apples comparison of wages, it looks like women are doing just as well as men (if not better)

I shall now begin to agitate for "equal opportunity" for the newest oppressed minority, Men. :mrgreen:

While I am happy to see we're starting close the wage gap, I'm not ready to call it closed until we see more research on the subject. One study is good, I would like to see more.

Back
Top Bottom