• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Workplace issue: How would you handle this?

We hired a new kid fresh out of college earlier this year. He's 25. Good kid. Nice kid. But, he's OCD about washing his hands.
this should tell you that the kid may require a medical accommodation. he did not choose to exhibit OCD behavior
and no one other than management should attempt a discussion with him about the complications emanating from his medical 'problem'

That, in and of itself, is fine. I find it curious, but otherwise really don't care.

What I do care about, is this ritual he does at the end of every hand washing. He is apparently afraid to turn the water off and get germs,
anyone here think this young guy chooses to have this fear of germs
a fear that prevents him from touching the sink/apparatus after he has washed his hands

so he cups his hands and splashes water on the faucet handles before he shuts them off. He will do this several times. In doing this he also splashes water all over the sink... and does not clean it up. That is the issue, the pools of water on the sink.
a bunch of good suggestions have been offered to identify a better means for this fellow to complete his hand washing exercise without leaving the area water logged
something management needs to address among themselves - with HR - prior to implementing an accommodation to resolve the issue

It is not uncommon for someone to go in with something in their hand and set it down, only to have it get wet because he didn't wipe the sink when he was done.
one would have to be stupid to set something on a washroom sink counter with the expectation that it would remain dry. what you present is an unrealistic expectation and/or that you have some dumb co-workers

I want to say something to him, but with today's uber-sensitive and uber-letigious work world I also don't want to get in trouble for being insensitive to his issue or "disability". (I don't think OCD is a disability, hence the quote marks.)
your instincts are good. at least as to not addressing this with him yourself. it's above your pay grade
and expecting someone with a phobia about touching the water controls is going to be expected to CLEAN that area with paper towels, by immersing his hands in that cesspool of germs. unrealistic as hell. do that and make some attorney's bonus

Here's the question: Should I talk to him, or should I talk to management and let them deal with it?
speak to no one except your immediate supervisor
and pray he contacts HR before proceeding

FWIW, he's a good kid and probably would work with us, and is just clueless, but ya never know.
you really think this good kid is 'clueless'
this kid has an issue
but not by choice
address the issue and how to make sure it does not complicate the goings on in the workplace

Back
Top Bottom