• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Workers Will Soon Enter the Tomb of Jesus

Risky Thicket

Sewer Rat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is a fascinating piece about the scheduled repair and restoration of Christ's tomb. I hope someone films the process, or at least part of the process, and produces a documentary.

What will they encounter? What will they find? How will the experience affect the lives of the handful of Greeks who will perform the repair and restoration?

JERUSALEM — Work has begun to save the holiest shrine in Christendom. It won’t be a simple patch-and-paint job.
This is the alpha and omega of restoration projects.
They are going to repair Christ’s tomb — with titanium bolts.
Over the next nine months, a team of Greek conservationists will restore the collapsing chapel built above and around the burial cave where the faithful believe that Jesus was buried and rose from the dead after the Crucifixion.
To fix the chapel, which is buckling under its own weight, the crew will have to enter a few square meters of the ruins of the first-century tomb.

Source

Holiest shrine in Christendom?

Meh.

As a Christian, I don't think Christians should be fawning over artifacts or locations. It's so not biblical and borders on idolatry.

This is a fascinating piece about the scheduled repair and restoration of Christ's tomb. I hope someone films the process, or at least part of the process, and produces a documentary.

What will they encounter? What will they find? How will the experience affect the lives of the handful of Greeks who will perform the repair and restoration?

Source

What a wonderful article. It touched me. I've never been to the Holy Sepulchre, but want to go before I die. Thank you so much for posting this article.

One fact that also touched me, was to find out who is paying for the restoration - King Abdullah II of Jordan funds Holy Sepulchre restoration work

Though its very possible that the site of the Holy Sepulcher is not where Christ would have been/was entombed. There are many proposed locations and sites.

Though its very possible that the site of the Holy Sepulcher is not where Christ would have been/was entombed. There are many proposed locations and sites.

That is irrelevant and should be of little value to true Christians. I would be concerned about finding all the lost gospels from the other apostles and learning what Jesus really wanted us to know. It would be the same as interviewing only 4 of the 12 witnesses of something very important. Throwing out the testimony from the other 8 apostles and only cherry picking from 4 what you want to be true leaves out most of the actual information and gives a skewed and bias view of what really happened. VERY SAD.

It keeps the documentaries coming though. So long as A&E, History Channel, and a number of Christian docu-film makers can harp on finding proof (or rather, slightly-out-of-our-reach proof), this will keep coming.

Source

Fascinating story.

What a wonderful article. It touched me. I've never been to the Holy Sepulchre, but want to go before I die. ..................~
If you ever make it, try for the time of day when there's no "changing of the guard".

Or bring a baseball bat.

:mrgreen:

P.S. Where the vid is older, it's an ongoing thing. Happens all the time. :roll:

If you ever make it, try for the time of day when there's no "changing of the guard".

Or bring a baseball bat.

:mrgreen:

P.S. Where the vid is older, it's an ongoing thing. Happens all the time. :roll:

Actions like this are the origin for the term - Holy Crap (pun intended). I can imagine a picture of Jesus doing a double face palm and slowly shaking his lowered head in disgust.

Meh.

As a Christian, I don't think Christians should be fawning over artifacts or locations. It's so not biblical and borders on idolatry.

No, it's not a Biblical thing, but ease up a little. Jesus isn't in there. He never was. His body might have been there for a time, but we'll never be certain of even that. If this site inspires, let it inspire.

Meh.

Your choice of "fawning" makes me sad. Pilgrimage is "Biblical," and archaeological work contributes to the historical record. Besides, it's necessary for some to see to believe. ;)

Your choice of "fawning" makes me sad. Pilgrimage is "Biblical," and archaeological work contributes to the historical record. Besides, it's necessary for some to see to believe. ;)

Pilgrimage is not biblical.

Christianity is not a religion of idols, temples, and sight seeing.

I wondered if they knew it was the tomb of Christ because it had a little plaque that said, "Christ". No, it's a cave that the faithful believe...." There you go. Another article of faith.

Meh.

I suppose it hasn't occurred to you that none of your iconoclast bull actually comes from the Bible.

I recommend anyone interested in holy artifiacts/locations/etc read Mark Twain's "Innocents Abroad". He has some great remarks to offer on the subject.

No, it's not a Biblical thing, but ease up a little. Jesus isn't in there. He never was. His body might have been there for a time, but we'll never be certain of even that. If this site inspires, let it inspire.

Why not have a hundred inspirational caves, then, so nobody has to travel too far to get to one for inspiration? How strange that real faith is so easily constructed on a foundation of BS artifacts. What's the point in the pretense of scholarship to prove that snakes talk or a dead guy got up and strolled around? The whole, let us have our make believe, thing is a bit juvenile. The cave might as well be a ride at an amusement park.

That is irrelevant and should be of little value to true Christians. I would be concerned about finding all the lost gospels from the other apostles and learning what Jesus really wanted us to know. It would be the same as interviewing only 4 of the 12 witnesses of something very important. Throwing out the testimony from the other 8 apostles and only cherry picking from 4 what you want to be true leaves out most of the actual information and gives a skewed and bias view of what really happened. VERY SAD.

I agree with this. But, "lost" gospels aren't really lost. Gospel of Mary, Gospel of Judas, etc etc etc were just left out of the bible because some guy in position of power didn't think they would better serve whomever was in control at that time.

Why not have a hundred inspirational caves, then, so nobody has to travel too far to get to one for inspiration? How strange that real faith is so easily constructed on a foundation of BS artifacts. What's the point in the pretense of scholarship to prove that snakes talk or a dead guy got up and strolled around? The whole, let us have our make believe, thing is a bit juvenile. The cave might as well be a ride at an amusement park.

The place is indeed secondary to the inspiration. What difference it makes where or how some are inspired to you is of no consequence. Perhaps some people are in fact inspired by a ride at an amusement park. So what?

Or go and visit a "replica" Ark, if animatronic dinosaurs mixing with humans doesn't convince you...

The place is indeed secondary to the inspiration. What difference it makes where or how some are inspired to you is of no consequence. Perhaps some people are in fact inspired by a ride at an amusement park. So what?

I think you missed the point entirely. Why is it so important to people who claim faith (ie., belief without proof) that there be proof? They contradict their own faith with the constant pretense of scholarship. They're putting on a show that hasn't had an intermission in two thousand years and the audience is still lapping it up.

My favorite scene is where the faithful continually attempt to throw the entire planet into war and then blame their invisible, abstract entity for doing so. He predicted it and it happened, He must be real.

The irony of god having to work through men is that we cease to differentiate our actions from His when we imagine that we are His vessels. But, none of the faithful seem to care about this conundrum, about how acts of base, human hatred gets re-imagined as divine justice. But, faith is famously endowed with a narcotic effect that can numb the mind and conscience of the most (especially the most) dedicated believers.

The problem with inspiration based upon a violent anachronistic myth is that it inspires too many to be inhuman. When you no longer care about humans and the earth, that's how you know you've transcended and are truly a spiritual being.

I agree with this. But, "lost" gospels aren't really lost. Gospel of Mary, Gospel of Judas, etc etc etc were just left out of the bible because some guy in position of power didn't think they would better serve whomever was in control at that time.

Those you mentioned are not first century 'Gospels' like Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. They are 2nd century or later pseudepigrapha with gnostic redactions, etc. That's why they were left out, among other reasons.

Well, the bible was designed by committee....

Back
Top Bottom