• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Work more, get less in Obamacare 'cliff'

trfjr

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Be careful you don't fall off the Obamacare "cliff" when the boss asks you to put in some overtime.

Working more could ultimately mean thousands of dollars less for you under a quirk in the new health-care law going into effect this fall. This could prompt some people to cut back on their hours to avoid losing money.

"Working more can actually leave you worse off," the price-comparison site ValuePenguin.com notes in a new analysis.

"It's sort of an absurd scenario," said Jonathan Wu, ValuePenguin.com's co-founder. "It's something for people to be aware of."

In that scenario, an individual or family whose annual income surpasses maximums set by the federal government—if only by $1—will totally lose subsidies available to buy health insurance under the Affordable Care Act.

The loss of those subsidies in some cases will mean that people potentially would have been better off financially if they had worked less during the year, Wu said. And they then would have to work significantly more to make up for the lost subsidy.

Look out below! Work more, get less in Obamacare 'cliff'

ACA Subsidy Cliff May Incentivize Some To Earn Less

Obama Care is a nightmare that keeps getting worse and worse

It might incentivize someone to work slightly less, yes. However, that family will be at 400% of the FPL instead of 100%. Such cliffs already exist, and not just in health care, this just moves one of them higher. The smarter plan would be to gradually taper off the subsidy, but this is Congress we're talking about, so I wont hold my breath. Republicans will bitch about this cliff but would never in their lives vote to actually fix it. That would be in opposition to their goals.

I have little doubt what your OP says is true. It's just one of the tweaks that's going to be needed -- along with making 20 hours the full-time threshold (back the way it used to be) and, I'm sure, some others. Make the subsidy progressive. Not that hard.
crap like this happens when you vote for a bill that you haven't read. democrats shoved this POS down out throats and its time they choke on it them selves

Last edited:
It might incentivize someone to work slightly less, yes. However, that family will be at 400% of the FPL instead of 100%. Such cliffs already exist, and not just in health care, this just moves one of them higher. The smarter plan would be to gradually taper off the subsidy, but this is Congress we're talking about, so I wont hold my breath. Republicans will bitch about this cliff but would never in their lives vote to actually fix it. That would be in opposition to their goals.

and why the hell should republicans do anything to fix it? they was shut out on any discussion on creating this train wreck, and now you expect them to fix it?
best thing republicans need to do is let it hit the market as is let it crash and burn. it is the only way the public will realize republicans where right all along, and not vote another liberal idiot back into office

If the cliff were $50K closer to zero on the top bracket than it is I would be a lot happier.

The other part of this is that the subsidy can be advanced to the taxpayer.....you get it before you know exactly what your income will be. I've seen this kind of thing in play before and the end result is that a whole lot of people will estimate that they will get a large subsidy and then won't have the money to pay back when the time comes. We'll also see a whole lot more "creativity" from the self employed.

and why the hell should republicans do anything to fix it? they was shut out on any discussion on creating this train wreck, and now you expect them to fix it?
best thing republicans need to do is let it hit the market as is let it crash and burn. it is the only way the public will realize republicans where right all along, and not vote another liberal idiot back into office

Yes, exactly. You, and the GOP, are more interested in seeing Democrats fail than actually having the government do something beneficial. You'd rather see negative effects from Obamacare rather than fixing them and having positive results, because positive results for the country hurt your team.

Republicans weren't shut out. They just told you they were shut out and you believe anything if it implies Democrats are bad.

Yes, exactly. You, and the GOP, are more interested in seeing Democrats fail than actually having the government do something beneficial. You'd rather see negative effects from Obamacare rather than fixing them and having positive results, because positive results for the country hurt your team.

Republicans weren't shut out. They just told you they were shut out and you believe anything if it implies Democrats are bad.

only thing that will be beneficial to the American public is for the repeal of the train wreck. you cant make a silk purse out of sows ear

So the OP is for a single payer universal healthcare system like the rest of the civilized world?

Wait . . . it isn't. It's for going back to our broken, dysfunctional for-profit corporate system. O for fun!

So the OP is for a single payer universal healthcare system like the rest of the civilized world?

Wait . . . it isn't. It's for going back to our broken, dysfunctional for-profit corporate system. O for fun!

if you want to be like the rest of the civilized world then go live there. hell i will buy you a one way ticket. i want to live in a place that is better then the rest of the civilized world. America owes its greatness to the system you hate. so leave get the hell out of here go live where you think they have it so much better

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom