• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Work ethic

I am a direct supervisor/manager to about twenty employees. As a supervisor, if a staff person can't find coverage for their shift, it's up to me to cover it, either by finding someone else to work it, or I have to cover it myself.

I don't mind doing this on occasion, as I know **** happens... but something I've noticed over the past couple of months... it's happening more and more.

There have been instances recently, that led me to believe there is a severe lack of work ethic in some employees. This is the case in a lot of jobs, but it seems to be more and more prevalent.

Never before have I ever worked in an industry where the overall feeling is that they just have to be dressed and show up for their shift and they expect a paycheck. Heaven forbid I expect them to actually preform work to earn their paycheck.

I'm not a micro-manager and yet... I feel that's all I do any more. I am only in a reactive role instead of a PRO-active role. I find myself having to hold hands, nanny a person... be there at their beck and call in order to make sure they are getting things done in a timely, accurate and efficient manner.

Whatever happened to work ethic? Taking pride in one's work? Wanting to do a great job and feeling that reflected directly upon themselves?

Instead... feelings of 'screw it, it's just a job'... 'they should be thankful I'm even here'...'I could draw more on unemployment than I can by working.. so why bother'... seem rampant.

How do I go about changing things up? I've been trying, but it doesn't seem as though I can catch a ****ing break to make things better.. because I'm too busy just trying to keep staff (good staff) around long enough to even do the minimum.

I am frustrated and disgusted all rolled into one.

Have you tried shock collars on them? "you're not working hard enough" *Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz* :mrgreen:

Your not alone. I noticed a change in work ethics starting in the 90's in the field I worked in. IMO, it is a generation gap. Too many had things handed to them rather than truely working for something. It is difficult, but hire those that still have work values like yours, utilize them as role models for the coworkers who are laggers, and just remember "When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness."- despair.com

I think it's just a matter of weeeding out. I assume your company has some sort of attendance or dependability requirement. Some employees, I'm convinced, are just waiting to be fired. Start the warning process, keep good records, make sure converations with the employees are documented, that they sign any warning docs and date them, then wait. They'll either get it together, or go elsewhere.

Well, are you sure they got adequate job training?

I think the reason that why many people do a piss-poor job is because they aren't trained in how to do an adequate job. Trainers don't tell them everything they need to know, so when something new comes up they just don't know how to respond. So maybe you should ask those you manage some of the things that they have to do that they aren't trained for and note those things for the future when you get new employees.

As for the hand-holding, it depends on your management style. If you aren't a micro-manager, then you're going to have to start promoting self-confidence and independence in your employees. If they come with you with a question you already answered, tell them, "We've already been through this, so you know what to do." For those you trust, when they come with you for a problem, ask them, "Well, what do you think we should do?" If they then show good responsibility and good choices, then you can start answering things with, "I trust you to use your own discretion."

Again, all this is dependent on a few factors. Newer employees will need more hand-holding than veteran employees, simply because they don't know how things work and they don't want to mess anything up. But after they've been there long enough, start weaning them from their over-dependence on you.

Well, I do the training myself. So I don't accept the "I haven't been trained how to do such-and-such" because I know damn good and well, that they have. I've found it's more a matter of not wanting to be held accountable for their actions, more than anything.

Seriously. I think it's a generational thing. I don't know if they are afraid to ask questions or what... but I've had an inordinate amount of young people that seem afraid to make a freaking decision about ANYTHING.

They simply don't wish to be responsible.

Back
Top Bottom