• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WORDLE

I've only played once. It's a fun game. According to NYT the game will be free "for now". I think eventually they'll lump it in with their other games such as the crossword puzzle and we'll need a NYT subscription. So the lefties will be able to continue to play ;)

FFS, my girlfriend has dragged me kicking and screaming into the game. And... I'm committed (or should be committed, one of the two.)

FFS, my girlfriend has dragged me kicking and screaming into the game. And... I'm committed (or should be committed, one of the two.)
Read of a tip today
use adieu or soare IIRC due to vowels and high use of S & R in words

Read of a tip today
use adieu or soare IIRC due to vowels and high use of S & R in words
I often use PIOUS for my first guess. Three vowels and the 'S' on the end in case of a plural word.
Does the game recognize words that aren't English?

It's too easy.
Yeah, for a puzzle junky It's easy, but It's a nice diversion from the news over the second cup.
I did take 6 guesses once- the word was 'KNOLL'

I often use PIOUS for my first guess. Three vowels and the 'S' on the end in case of a plural word.
Does the game recognize words that aren't English?
I believe English only- as to spelling differences on some words-Canada-US -UK, I would go with the US spelling, the developer is a US citizen
Now what dictionaries they use, no idea

Yeah, for a puzzle junky It's easy, but It's a nice diversion from the news over the second cup.
Yeah. The double letters can be tricky.

I used to be puzzle junkie. I used to get the Sunday NYT mostly to do the crossword puzzle.

1 vowel & the double.
I like it - open it - start and walk away and come back later
Excellent diversion, once a day may be one key to its success. No game till tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yeah. The double letters can be tricky.

I used to be puzzle junkie. I used to get the Sunday NYT mostly to do the crossword puzzle.
I alternate between crosswords and sudoku. Right now I'm getting sudokued-out and about to move back to words.
The NYT Sunday crossword is the best. Hell, I even remember the name of the crossword puzzle editor from a few years ago, Eugene T. Maleska. When I buy crossword puzzle magazines I go for the NYT books or Dell or National Observer.
Never got the hang of the British 'cryptic crosswords' though. Maybe I just gave up too easy.

I alternate between crosswords and sudoku. Right now I'm getting sudokued-out and about to move back to words.
The NYT Sunday crossword is the best. Hell, I even remember the name of the crossword puzzle editor from a few years ago, Eugene T. Maleska. When I buy crossword puzzle magazines I go for the NYT books or Dell or National Observer.
Never got the hang of the British 'cryptic crosswords' though. Maybe I just gave up too easy.
I love doing logic puzzles. The internet has made a dent in that as my replacement time waster.

Wordle 229 6/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

On day one of my Wordle Career I have a 100% win streak.

That is why I am announcing that I will be retiring from Wordle.

Had this one, which was close

1644340788250.png

Anyone playing this?
Guy designed the game for his spouse
Well it has taken off and the NYT bought it for low 7 figures

This game is hell. I get to ~120 wins and then the last word is something like _ells, with the available letter s and t. Let’s just say that I would have been the first person to die on the glass bridge in The Squid Game.

I read this and tried it out and it threw off my whole game

Interesting. There’s also a brute force approach (though a different kind of brute force than the author talks about), which is to use four five letter words that all use up a letter in the alphabet precisely once. It’s not a fun approach, and since I can’t seem to crack 125 it’s obviously not fantastic. But it’s a thing.

Failing my way to victory:

idiotic stumbling.png

After the fourth guess I was considering whether I should just call it a day on professional work and maybe take my blood oxygen level or something because I'm clearly not thinking clearly. H in the same wrong place twice. O in the same wrong place twice, then in another wrong place twice. R in the same wrong place three times. A guessed twice despite being wrong.

But then obviousness struck.

Interesting. There’s also a brute force approach (though a different kind of brute force than the author talks about), which is to use four five letter words that all use up a letter in the alphabet precisely once. It’s not a fun approach, and since I can’t seem to crack 125 it’s obviously not fantastic. But it’s a thing.

Do your guesses have to be actual words? I kinda assumed they did. Otherwise that blunt force approach would be stupid easy. Just work your way down the keyboard and by the sixth line it'd be a simple question of your vocabulary....

(Wouldn't it be five five letter words so you get a ruling on 25 of the 26 letters in the alphabet?)

Back
Top Bottom