• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Won't this Bill (HR1) be immediately challenged in the Courts as Unconstitutional if it gets rammed through Congress with an end to the Fillibuster?

The Constitution expressly provides the States with the authority to enact its own Election Laws.

WTF? It also allows congress to override most of what the states have put into place.

Article I, Section 4, Clause 1: The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators.

The Constitution expressly provides the States with the authority to enact its own Election Laws.
WTF? It also allows congress to override most of what the states have put into place.

Article I, Section 4, Clause 1: The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators.
It's rare to see someone so conclusively prove their ignorance about what the Constitution says than the OP.

It's rare to see someone so conclusively prove their ignorance about what the Constitution says than the OP.

Yep, that’s what happens when one doesn’t even bother to read the constitution before asserting what it says on a matter.

Yes. Everything will.

sigh

Federal laws regulating voting already exist, notably the Voting Rights Act of 1965. The 14th Amendment (presumably the equal rights and due process clauses) protect the rights of American voters. (Along these same lines, that's why a state can't run an election, and then completely disregard the election results when the state legislature picks electors).

Although the courts have cut back on some of the enforcement (e.g. it switched the VRA enforcement from enacted by default, to one where cases need to be filed first). However, the general project is certainly constitutional.

Keep in mind that refers to votes for Senators and Representatives. The bills in question also impact local elections, state elections, and Presidential elections. Those voting rights are (afaik) protected by the 14th Amendment.

Keep in mind that refers to votes for Senators and Representatives. The bills in question also impact local elections, state elections, and Presidential elections. Those voting rights are (afaik) protected by the 14th Amendment.

That is a good point, one would assume that states would still be free to hold different elections for POTUS (assigning their EC delegates) and state/local officials. I have not attempted to read the entire text of HR 1 because I assume that it has no chance of passing the US Senate.

Two different laws, two different bills.

You have an end to the filibuster. That's one bill.

Then you have a vote on a variety of things, voting rights is only one of dozens of things.

It will be challenged but the challenges are unlikely to prevail. The constitution give congress the power to regulate elections..

Yes, it will require a Constitutional Amendment to change that.

False...

congress can in fact make rules in this regard within limits 🤷‍♂️
like ANYTHING . . it can be challenged but on the surface, i see nothing unconstitutional

I am ignorant of the topic though, I havent read the entire bill only seen "cliff notes" lol DO you have something specific that is factually in the bill that is unconstitutional?

And what's the next line in the Constitution, after "The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof;"?

Hint: it answers your question pretty conclusively.

The Constitution expressly provides the States with the authority to enact its own election laws.

The Voting Rights Act is a federal law. Do you think it is unconstitutional despite the Supreme Court ruling otherwise?

The federal government changed a Senate election law. Enough states supported it to amend the Constitution.

Last edited:
No it doesn't. The 10th Amendment infers that power. Here is what the Constitution actually says about elections. Article 1, Section 4
" The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators. "

"Although the Elections Clause makes states primarily responsible for regulating congressional elections, it vests ultimate power in Congress. Congress may pass federal laws regulating congressional elections that automatically displace (“preempt”) any contrary state statutes, or enact its own regulations concerning those aspects of elections that states may not have addressed. The Framers of the Constitution were concerned that states might establish unfair election procedures or attempt to undermine the national government by refusing to hold elections for Congress. They empowered Congress to step in and regulate such elections as a self-defense mechanism."
https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/interpretation/article-i/clauses/750

Those 20 states amount to the New Confederacy.

The consist of the last of the United States of America as the International Corporate-Fascist Democratic Party of the plutocrats furiously re-institute slavery in the USA and across the world. But, then, most progressive Democrats demand to be slaves of and to exist solely for the purpose of serving the richest corporations and people on earth - their own lives totally irrelevant.

The consist of the last of the United States of America as the International Corporate-Fascist Democratic Party of the plutocrats furiously re-institute slavery in the USA and across the world. But, then, most progressive Democrats demand to be slaves of and to exist solely for the purpose of serving the richest corporations and people on earth - their own lives totally irrelevant.

And they're a bunch of rotters too.

Did you know that when you put 'Constitution' and 'expressly says' together, you are saying you can put your finger on that text in the Constitution? Almost hate to ask, but where is your finger?

Back
Top Bottom