• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

wonderful talent. questionable ethics

justabubba

long standing member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[video]https://www.dvidshub.net/video/embed/311061?fbclid=IwAR0S9qWYUp2PqXIC_jUGpwBwUM-qmPKeFsCyV1obg35gJLW10u21zS77xdE[/video]

first, i think this was as wonderful performance by the US government's, US Air Force Band

but playing "Joy to the World", a Christian religious song?

would the American public accept the same band playing a rendition of an islamic song celebrating mohammed?

if not, then why play a song celebrating the birth of Christ?

Just imagine the lyrics are "Joy to the woke, Thunberg has come, let Earth receive Darwin," and it will lessen the triggering.

[video]https://www.dvidshub.net/video/embed/311061?fbclid=IwAR0S9qWYUp2PqXIC_jUGpwBwUM-qmPKeFsCyV1obg35gJLW10u21zS77xdE[/video]

first, i think this was as wonderful performance by the US government's, US Air Force Band

would the American public accept the same band playing a rendition of an islamic song celebrating mohammed?

The American public certainly should accept Muslim songs. Christmas songs will be more familiar to an American audience, but "Joy to the World" doesn't bother me. I think Christmas is just as secular in the US as it is religious, so Christmas melodies don't offend me even if the associated lyrics are religious.

Probably because it's Christmas. So playing that song during that season is apropos.

Hanukkah is also this time of the year, so if there were some favorite song, that would also be apropos of the season.

Meanwhile, there would also be no problem playing a "Moslem holy song" during Ramadan if they were asked to perform for some ceremony.

EXCELLENT Performance too.

Merry Christmas :)

Last edited:
The American public certainly should accept Muslim songs. Christmas songs will be more familiar to an American audience, but "Joy to the World" doesn't bother me. I think Christmas is just as secular in the US as it is religious, so Christmas melodies don't offend me even if the associated lyrics are religious.

This ^^^

is this another outrage in search of a cause?

In case you hadn't noticed, this is the Christmas holiday season. A federally recognized holiday. It seems to me that "Joy to the World" would be an appropriate selection. Far more appropriate this time of year than say on Independence Day or Memorial Day. And no, an Air Force band playing a Christian song does not constitute a violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. That would be an incredibly stupid assumption to make.

FYI: The Air Band was actually playing Johann Sebastian Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring," then they played "Joy to the World."

Last edited:
In case you hadn't noticed, this is the Christmas holiday season. A federally recognized holiday. It seems to me that "Joy to the World" would be an appropriate selection. Far more appropriate this time of year than say on Independence Day or Memorial Day. And no, an Air Force band playing a Christian song does not constitute a violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. That would be an incredibly stupid assumption to make.

share with us why the government's band playing a Christian song and those of no other religions does not constitute a government preference towards Christianism?

share with us why the government's band playing a Christian song and those of no other religions does not constitute a government preference towards Christianism?

Because in order to violate the Establishment Clause Congress must enact a law. If there is no law, there is no establishment of a government religion. A band playing a 250 year-old classical work by Bach is not a government establishing a religion.

Because in order to violate the Establishment Clause Congress must enact a law. If there is no law, there is no establishment of a government religion. A band playing a 250 year-old classical work by Bach is not a government establishing a religion.

the government directed its employees to play a Christian song
that conferred a preference of the government toward the Christian religion to the exclusion of all other religions and non-believers
thus, the government directed its employees to confer a religious preference. in this instance, one embracing Christian belief
the band had an enormous array of secular songs it could have performed. it did not. it instead conferred a religious preference when playing a Christian song

the government directed its employees to play a Christian song
that conferred a preference of the government toward the Christian religion to the exclusion of all other religions and non-believers
thus, the government directed its employees to confer a religious preference. in this instance, one embracing Christian belief
the band had an enormous array of secular songs it could have performed. it did not. it instead conferred a religious preference when playing a Christian song
Don't be silly. It is no different from a valedictorian or a politician giving a religious speech. It does nothing to establish a government religion.

Playing music that is entirely appropriate for the federally recognized holiday is not establishing a religious preference. Thinking that it might be is simply mental-derangement probably brought about by an irrational hatred.

Back
Top Bottom